Help me with Popcorn ideas

Options
saltorian
saltorian Posts: 192 Member
I like to eat air-popped popcorn as a snack. It's fairly low calorie, whole grain, and you get to munch and crunch for quite a while on it. Even though I do like it just plain, sometimes I want to put a little seasoning on it (black pepper is particularly delicious, maybe a teensy bit of salt). The problem is, nothing sticks to the popcorn when it's not cooked in oil or covered in butter.

I want a fat-free (preferably natural - none of that gross margarine spray stuff) way to get seasonings to stick to my dry popcorn. Something that won't make the kernels shrivel up, either. Does anyone have a solution?

Replies

• khodges15
    khodges15 Posts: 114
    Options
    i use olivio. tastes like butter, looks like butter. no cals, no fat, no nothing! :)
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure what would work to make something stick to the popcorn, but I found this website. They have seasonings that they sell, along with a variety of popcorn recipes. Maybe something will catch your eye?

http://www.kernelseasons.com/
  • juliabp
    juliabp Posts: 4
    Options
    Try dipping in plain yellow mustard. Delicious, no calories.
  • lissababe
    lissababe Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    what about pam olive oil spray?
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have put hot sauce on my popcorn...its like its drenched in spicy butter!! Yum!
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I made airpopped popcorn earlier, and I sprayed it with some light olive oil that came in a very fine misting thing. It probably added no more than 20 calories to the entire huge bowl, and I sprinkled a little bit of white cheddar powder on it (5 calories a capful). The popcorn was crisp and didn't shrivel and the taste was awesome and light...I loved it! Unfortunately I have no idea where I acquired the misting olive oil product.

Misting water works too, as long as you're not putting too much on there and it's a really fine mist (a lot of it will cause soggy popcorn!).
  • wagner78
    wagner78 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use butter flavored pam and it gives it the buttery flavor, doesn't make the popcorn soggy and makes the seasoning stick!
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray, tastes like butter.....at least I think it does. The first ingredient is Soy Bean Oil. It's delicious and it'll help your spices stick better.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Pour the kernels into a bowl, spray with PAM, then top with:

Cinnamon & Stevia

Garlic and Parmesan

Lime and Paprika

Basil, Oregano, and Sun Dried Tomatoes

Stevia and Freeze Dried Strawberries
  • valleyrose99
    valleyrose99 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Spread the popcorn onto a cookie sheet (after its popped of course!) and spray lightly with butter flavored Pam or use the spray butter. The spray butter is about 10 cals for 10 squirts. I like to use garlic salt but I may have to try a little pepper.
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    PAM OLIVE OIL SPRAY.. AND I SOMETIMES SPRINKLE EITHER CURRY OR PARMESAN OR GARLIC POWDER... OR SOMETIMES TOSS WITH HOT SAUCE(LIKE RED HOT OR TEXAS PETE OR TAPATIO )AND GARLIC POWDER... YUM!!!
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    THEY ALSO SELL SIMPLY SPRITZERS SALAD DRESSING.. NEAR THE OTHER DRESSINGS... ITS EITHER ITALIAN OR BALSAMIC VINEGAR.. THAT MIGHT BE GOOD...... YOU CAN DO LIME JUICE AND CUMIN OR LIME JUICE AND CHILI PEPPER TOO!!! MMMMMMMMMMM
  • madibabyxo
    Options
    bump! sounds delish
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Mix is with some salsa.. it won't be as crunchy, but I love the way it tastes
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • peepocheck
    peepocheck Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've seen this Olivio on sites a lot lately. But where can I get it?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I've seen this Olivio on sites a lot lately. But where can I get it?

It's right by the I Can't Believe it's not butter spray in the refrigerated butter section. :)

Pam Olive oil or butter spray works also.
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    My husband does the hot sauce too. But he also throws in some garlic cloves during the popping. Then sprinkles on brewers yeast and nutritional yeast. Delish!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My husband does the hot sauce too. But he also throws in some garlic cloves during the popping. Then sprinkles on brewers yeast and nutritional yeast. Delish!

I was just going to say nutritional yeast!! And Bragg's Amino acids (kind of like soy sauce but less sodium!).