Do you drink a protein shake before or after working out/wal

Options
I want to drink a protein shake, but I don't know when I'm supposed to drink it. I was also wondering if anyone has any suggestions on ones that work/taste well. Another thing, does it count for a meal or a snack? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• flutterqueen04
    Options
    1. I always drank them after...for me if I drank them first my tummy would hurt -> but that is just me :)
    2. I liked the Special K's Milk Chocolate and Strawberry
    3. You can count them as whatever you like. I did both, depending on my mood/calorie need.
  • h0p3
    h0p3 Posts: 15
    Options
    I usually drink mine prior to working out.

I add milk
    whey protein
    frozen blueberries
    half a banana
    its goooood
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    If you're doing it to give your body fuel then I would drink it before and aim for a ratio of something like 70% carbs, 20% protein, and 10% fat. If you're doing it to give your body tools to repair and build muscles then drink it after and aim for something like 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat.

Idea is that carbs are mainly (but not entirely) fuel and protein are mainly (but not entirely) best for muscle repair/building.
  • meg_hand
    meg_hand Posts: 15
    Options
    I drink my protein shakes after working out... And I make my own with my Magic Bullet (blender would work as well)

1 c. milk (1%)
    1 scoop soy protein powder
    1/2 c frozen berries

275 cal
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    after after after!!!!!!!!!!
    you want to feed your muscles after you work them out!!!!!!!!!!!
    and your metabolism is high after you workout!!
  • Pheef52
    Pheef52 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I drink mine after working out when I decide to have one. Sometimes I'll make one with a powder from GNC that i'll mix with water and throw in the blender with frozen fruit. Other times if I 'm in a rush I'll have a pre-made one called Mix 1.
  • anner53108
    anner53108 Posts: 103
    Options
    I usually drink one after my workout in the morning -- "they" say to get protein in you pretty quickly after a workout to help your muscles recover.

A caution: If you go with a store-bought/premade shake, watch the sugar content. Some of them have more than 10 grams of sugar, which is a lot!
    I use whey protein (which has, like, 2 grams of sugar -- but each is different), skim milk and strawberries. Yes, there's some natural sugar in the milk and strawberries, but that's not the sugar you need to be careful of.
    It's tasty, filling (keeps me full 'til lunch) and I get a serving of fruit in. And it's about 250-300 calories total, depending on what kind of whey protein I'm using.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    drink after, the protein will help build/repair muscles used during working out. also might pair it with a healthy light carb (half apple or such) this is done cuz glycogen stores in muscles have been depleted and this will help to replenish them.
  • sneakers71
    sneakers71 Posts: 106
    Options
    I would also like to start drinking protein shakes BUT they always make me feel nauseaous after. any ideas?
  • ocsurfmama
    ocsurfmama Posts: 127
    Options
    I drink mine right after and make it with Silk Almond Milk- Chocolate flavor with crushed ice or frozen coffee ice cubes and blend it into a Protein Frappe. I find that it really helps muscle recovery and keeps me from having muscle soreness and charlie horses.
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I drink it after a work out, as recommended from my coach.

1) 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
    2) 1 cup almond milk
    3) 5 ice cubes
    4) alternate between frozen unsweetened cherries, strawberries and blueberries.

If I do at is a meal replacement, I do it in the morning for breakfast on occasion, then I do the same first 3 ingredients but will do a tbsp of earth balance peanut butter and half a banana.
  • stephstrege
    stephstrege Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I drink it after a work out, as recommended from my coach.

1) 1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
    2) 1 cup almond milk
    3) 5 ice cubes
    4) alternate between frozen unsweetened cherries, strawberries and blueberries.

If I do at is a meal replacement, I do it in the morning for breakfast on occasion, then I do the same first 3 ingredients but will do a tbsp of earth balance peanut butter and half a banana.

Forgot to add that all gets put in the blender :tongue:
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    sneakers have you tried to half the dose called for post workout? or to mix with different substance rather then milk try water or soy/almond/skim milk. Could also try different type of protein source: soy, whey, or casein. The Casein is a slow digesting protein and that may help.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I do a couple shakes throughout the day.
    But typically the answer you're going to get will be after.
    I like to get a good dose of protein and carbs after a workout.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    If you are talking straight whey protein, then any time is fine. A protein blend works as a great meal replacements and a protein blend that also contains fats and carbs is great post workout.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I drink them in the morning sometimes as a meal replacement - and if I'm doing this then I make a green monster and layer it as follows:

- 2 cups washed spinach, ripped up (it blends completely and you don't taste it but you are getting tons of veggies and minerals!)
    - 1 tbsp ground flax seed
    - 1 scoop whey protein powder (usually vanilla)
    - 1 banana
    - 1 c. almond or soy milk
    - 1 tsp cocoa powder
    - 2 ice cubes

blend until smooth and enjoy a delicious chocolately banana smoothie that will keep you full for hours!

If I'm having one after I work out, I usually just do

- 1/2 c. almond milk
    - 1/2 c. water
    - 3 ice cubes
    - whey protein

to keep it lower carb and mainly protein for muscle recovery.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I have Shakeology after a hard workout - or sometimes in the morning for breakfast.
    Its yummy... choc pb is my favorite mix ins
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    after
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I always drink mine after, but I think I'll have one before today as well for a snack.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I always drink mine after, but I think I'll have one before today as well for a snack.

good call.

I've really started enjoying mine with oats and peanut butter. I just put enough water to make a "batter" and then freeze it for a few minutes so its nice and cold.