Tired of the Joking

Options
So for the most part, my friends and family are supportive of my eating healthier and working out. However, there are still some people that think it's funny to send me e-mails or text messages or even picture texts of how they are eating a brownie or something really fattening that I am trying to avoid. It isn't funny, it's hard enough for me to say no but when people are shoving it in my face it gets even harder. And then they can't understand why I get upset about it, like it's no big deal. They're just joking around with me they say, what's the big deal. They don't understand how hard it is to not eat those things that I'm so used to eating whenever I want because they still eat them whenever they want!

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    LOL.

I'm sorry and I know it sucks but I can't imagine someone sending me a pic of bad foods, thats great.
    I joke about it with my boss and will sometimes talk about how good a food is, because she is on a diet.

But I can imagine that it gets old after a while.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Take a photo copy of your butt and write back "dare to compare? I think I'd win"
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    wow, that's a ****ty thing to do to you :(

dont even open up the emails anymore. not worth it.

ooh, or use those emails as motivation to stick to your hard work and "show them" that you got this!!!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Take a photo copy of your butt and write back "dare to compare? I think I'd win"

LOL! Perfect! Do this! ^
  • mmallory1
    mmallory1 Posts: 40
    Options
    You know, if you make a joke of it too then maybe the food will lose the power it has in making you upset I found for me the more power I gave those things, the more they upset me or got a rise out of me. Take the power back from food. Shrug it off or ignore it and train your brain to not give the food so much merit, then over time you will be able to laugh about it and realize that the brownie they are eating in that picture is gross and is not making them any healthier. Break it down and take the power back! You can do it!
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options

Hahahaha!!! GREAT idea! :-D
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! If it was me I would just look at the picture and picture the number of calories that it has and how THEY are the ones eating it and not you! Think of how much exercise you would have to do to make up for eating what ever it is! I know I do enough exercise that I don't want to have to do more to make up for someone else pulling me off the wagon!!

Keep the control!!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options

GENIUS!!!
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    couldnt agree with u more!! its terrible and not right! they should have more respect for u and what ur doing for urself. hope it gets better!
  • VialOfDreams
    Options

Agreed! Now you have to do this. :tongue:
  • allegram
    allegram Posts: 117
    Options
    JEALOUSYYYYY
    My extended family does the same thing to me. They're jealous that I'm taking a healthy initiative while they don't seem to have the willpower to do it too. They'll get over it once they see they can't break you.
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    People who have never had to diet just don't get it, and probably never will. Personally, just delete it and don't even bother responding. The reaction is what they want. If you are not reacting to it then they will stop. Just remind youself who's gonna be laughing come swimsuit season.
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    So for the most part, my friends and family are supportive of my eating healthier and working out. However, there are still some people that think it's funny to send me e-mails or text messages or even picture texts of how they are eating a brownie or something really fattening that I am trying to avoid. It isn't funny, it's hard enough for me to say no but when people are shoving it in my face it gets even harder. And then they can't understand why I get upset about it, like it's no big deal. They're just joking around with me they say, what's the big deal. They don't understand how hard it is to not eat those things that I'm so used to eating whenever I want because they still eat them whenever they want!

sorry for saying but i think u shud lighten up alittle...let em send these pics, their the ones sweating when they eat that crap not you so be proud of what your doing and forget the others who shovel that dung down their throats.
  • xavierjohn05
    xavierjohn05 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me all the time when I was in high school and cutting weight for wrestling. All my friends would get their lunches and let me know how great they tasted and then offering me food. Depending on the person you can do one of 2 things, ignore it (which works on 1/2 the people), just show no reaction or just delete the message, or 2, hit them, and not one of the love taps, I mean make it so they feel it and explain to them that you are being nice by only hitting them that hard (that works for the other half of the people).

I used both methods when I would be cutting weight and it worked great. Those are just my 2 cents.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Counter-troll them with reaction pix saved from myfacewhen.com. Or spam them with the nutrition labels for the foods they're eating. Make a low calorie whey protein brownie that's bigger than theirs and send them a picture of you eating it with toned biceps. Challenge them to a physical activity to see who can last longer. Become one of those "fitness guru d-bags" that they possibly loathe, so they can stop sending you crap like that. I'm a complete *kitten*, so any one of those I have already done to get my point across. I no longer get stupid messages like that. =)
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Some people are like static on a radio... you just need to turn the volume down on their channel.

I'm really sorry to hear that and we can be your support!
  • bevp16
    bevp16 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just think how much sugar and fat are in those foods, and what it is doing to their insides!!
    I know it is hard, but tell yourself - and them, that you don't want to do that to your body anymore. If you can - just ignore them, or tell tell them it doesn't bother you. People kept asking me if I wanted a cake, or take away at lunch time, now they don't even bother because they know the answer will be no thanks!:smile:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Some people have a twisted sense of humor. Usually when you get upset, that amuses them even more. So, the only thing to do about it is to control your own reaction. Some days, I would get pissed, as well, but most days, I would just roll my eyes and click delete. Seems to me the kind of person who would do this is the kind who will get bored with it if you stop reacting to it.
  • Monsherri
    Monsherri Posts: 69
    Options
    He who laughs last...laughs hardest...RIGHT? You are going to be so healthy. And look so good in your clothes. And have so much energy. And feel so good. They are jealous and are not willing to put the time and effort into doing something for themselves. Therefore, they have to pick on you. Draw strength from that and make it a positive! You can do it!
  • teamsaris
    teamsaris Posts: 30
    Options
    I find that the people in my life that give me the hardest time, are those who are envious of what I have accomplished for myself. Even "skinny" people get jealous of someone who is making better choices in their lives, eating better, and taking time for themselves!

Keep that in mind...the next time someone sends you something, or says something that is hurful or negative...it's usually coming from a place of jealousy, then pat yourself on the back for being so awesome and enviable ;)