Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Options
Onesnap
Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
Did anyone catch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution this week? Season 2 just started.

First let me start out by saying that I love love love California. I just came back from a trip to LA. The show so far is really hard to watch. I loved the Huntington, WV season (as did my husband). It often made me cry. I like Jamie's shows in general. So I was a fan before watching FR.

If you saw the LA episode what did you think? What about all of that red tape within the district? "Oh, we'd like you to talk to the food director...oh, never mind" What about all the gross pre-packaged food (looked worse than airplane food) that the parents brought in to the food center. Now, I know school food is not perfect, and all of the controversy around it. However there's a huge farm-to-school movement going on (even in very poor schools kids are learning how to grow veggies and fruit as well).

If you saw this episode did you walk away feeling sick? Did you just shrug your shoulders and think to yourself "my kid's school is NOT that bad, what do I care?" Our taxpayer $ is going right into the schools, so really it's all of our problems. I don't have children but at my home in Maine 80% of what we pay in taxes goes RIGHT into the schools.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the issue. If you don't yet watch this show--check it out.

Replies

• kristy3119
    kristy3119 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Rats! I missed it. I loved the last season. When is it on? Need to make sure to update the DVR...
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I caught it on hulu.com and I was disgusted!!!!!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    It's on Tuesday nights I think! You most likely can watch this episode online for free! Maybe Hulu or the network's website. Glad to hear you watch it...it's heartbreaking really.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Rats! I missed it. I loved the last season. When is it on? Need to make sure to update the DVR...

same here.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Nikki, ok good. I'm not alone. The scene where he explained in other countries the kids just drink milk, not milk with more sugar than soda. That was just so wrong. I'm glad too that he brought his family to LA. That was hard on him last year being father of 4 and away from those kids...
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Did not see the whole thing, but I was absolutely apalled @ what the school system tries to pass off for food. For some children, schools provide the most nutritious meals that they get. Scary stuff!!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    RM, I know. The fact that the food at McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts is better than what they feed those kids is disgusting!
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Jamie Oliver, and I'm glad he brought his family along this time! We have made some serious changes in our family's food since the first episode, (No more processed nuggets here!) and I was glad that they were able to make some changes in the Huntington schools. The LAUSD must have some serious issues to hide if they don't want Jamie Oliver coming in, and calling the police to enforce it. Here in Vermont we have Farm to School programs, but I am not familiar with them since my children aren't in school yet (and probably won't be since we're planning to homeschool). I think his mission is wonderful and wish that more people would stop and take note. The price of corn is going up so all these processed foods won't be nearly as cheap as they used to be. Hopefully this will drive more people into farmer's markets and coops to buy locally grown foods.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    However there's a huge farm-to-school movement going on (even in very poor schools kids are learning how to grow veggies and fruit as well).

he and 'better homes and gardens' magazine buddied up to produce a fabulous garden plan for an 8x12 plot. you can get it for free at www.bhg.com.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I watched the WV season but have not watching the first CA one yet.... but I remember seeing the WV episodes and thinking that didn't look too terribly different from what *I* remember getting served as a grade schooler back in the early-mid 1980's.
    Granted, we had no vending machines or strawberry milk - but the MEALS looked roughly the same.... big gobs of "beefaroni" from a can.... pudding from a big can.... canned peaches.... mystery meat (salisbury steaks?).

What did YOUR grade school cafeteria lunches look like??? I'm really just curious!

p.s. in JR/HS I brown bagged it to avoid the cafeteria line - but it was the same kind of crap served there... fish sticks and mac/cheese, etc.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just posted on my blog about this. I love Jamie and how he is trying to educate not only the school systems, but the public as well. But, why are the parents not packing a healthy lunch for their kids? On the LA episode, the parents brought the school food to Jamie and agreed it was crap. Why are they letting their kids eat the school food? I don't have kids so maybe that is not for me to judge. Jamie has opend the eyes of many people, but it needs to be a stronger movement. Next time you go grocery shopping, look at what people are buying. It will make you think twice about what you put in your cart.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    PNC, if you're planning to homeschool check out the Pioneer Woman's blog. It's amazing if you have not seen it yet.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/
  • Onesnap
    Options
    My school lunches were made by hand. There were unhealthy options that we LOVED of course but they were not cooked in plastic and pre-made at one location like in LA. I grew up in the hilltowns of Western MA. Literally 1/2 hour from a grocery store. Very poor areas and the schools are all regional. There was always an al la carte line as well where you could pick and choose things like yogurt. So the meals were not perfect, but they were made by actual people, not machines!!
  • Swingdeva
    Swingdeva Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As someone who has worked in Maine schools I can tell you that Maine School's are NOWHERE near as bad as what Jamie showed... that being said there is also a lot of room for improvement.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Good to know. I mean, I'm a taxpayer in Maine but I've never seen the schools. My friend's children there seem happy though.

I brought my lunch to school most days in the 80s growing up. I always bought something to go with (like yogurt or a brownie). But back then I was underweight and had trouble gaining weight. I should have eaten the school lunch more often. ;)
  • immacookie
    Options
    I was also in a very poor regional school district in SE Missouri (kids were bussed an hour each way to/from school). But yeah we had frozen and canned crap, I think most of it was Govt Commodities... rarely we would actually get a REAL apple or orange. And that was early 1980's.

I honestly didn't know what yogurt was until I was a teenager. (and yes I was a heavy kid)

~disclaimer - I am in no way defending what the public schools serve - I find it disgusting myself and remember it BEING disgusting eating it as a kid.... I'm just asking out of sheer curiosity of what schools did 20-30 years ago around the country vs. now~
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I think in 20, 30 years it has gotten worse in the schools. Even though your school was not perfect in the 1980s it was less processed. And remember, there was no such thing as a GMO until the 90s. GMOs are banned in some countries because we just don't know what they do to humans yet. Also, in the 80s real sugar was used and less fake chemicals.

Poor school systems cut corners where they can (speaking from having gone through a system that was not wealthy by any means). But the wealthy systems bring in Pizza hut vendors and McDonalds for the kids so I'm not sure how that's better!

Also, in the 80s all the kids were skinny! There was no such thing as an obesity epidemic where I grew up. We got tons of outdoor activity every single day even in the winter. Sure, there were heavy kids but nothing like today.
  • immacookie
    Options
    Very good points onesnap!!!

Even though the food was canned and frozen the ingredient list was probably much more recognizable than the chemical laden ones we see now!

Oh and also we didn't go home and have McDonalds or Dominoes for dinner.... there were none of those within 45 min drive.... so the breakfasts and dinners we all ate were much better than some of the kids currently. :frown: (our schools did not serve breakfasts)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Thanks! And remember, frozen veggies are actually quite good for you! They are frozen at the peak of freshness, they are cheap, and you can buy them in organic.

Now I'm craving french bread pizza with a side of broccoli like they served us in the 80s at my cafeteria. Oddly enough it was not frozen pizza.