Hate the Food Pyramid?

Options
SaraTonin
SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
Okay, so I want know the reasons why people don't like the USDA's food pyramid. I got some negative feedback on my last post here, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/217932-lost-on-food - but no real REASONS for the dislike.

I think it's a nice tool and a good way to figure out if you're eating a balanced diet.

Link: http://www.mypyramid.gov

Thoughts? The only thing I could think of is if you are a big Atkins supporter and don't like how many grains the pyramid suggests... Otherwise, why hate on the pyramid?

Replies

• strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    i was always under the impression that the food pyramid wasn't made by doctors but by food companies? this might be some 'down with the man' garbage though

i personally dislike it because im lactose intolerant and almost vegetarian so it simply doesn't work for me

i think that theyve updated the food pyramid recently to make meat less important than grains and vegetables
    http://blog.incentahealth.com/2010/06/usda-releases-preview-of-food-pyramid-changes-for-2011/

but personally i still think the dairy section is far too large even for someone who isn't lactose intolerant. looks like the dairy companies did a good job funding the new pyramid ;}
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    its too general, there are lots of ways to get a varied diet, telling you how many oz of which food to eat per day is unrealistic.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I think you hit the nail on the head, any government intervention is viewed as negative by many. A lot of people feel that the food producers have a bigger hand in this than necesary as they work so closely with government so this skews the results.

Im a fan of anything that people want to use to assist them in consuming a healtheir well balanced diet.
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    The pyramid always intended to have grains, fruits, and vegetables be the BIG sections at the base, but people didn't like how it put meat/dairy/sugar on top as if it's the goal, I think.

I always thought the bigger sections were the ones you were supposed to care most about. So dairy and protein were smallest, and then sugar and oils sparingly in the tiniest section.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    i, personally, am completely against the government telling me how to do ANYTHING in my life, including how to eat. but i'm curious to see what other answers you get to this one.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the food pyramid. A lot of people's diets don't fit into it because of lifestyle choice and allergies, but other than that I think it's perfectly fine if you follow it correctly. In other words know your portions, for example a bagel is not one grain it counts as five. I think it's really great to hang up in your kitchen if you have kids and you're trying to teach them how to eat a well balanced diet with lots of fruit and veggies.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I think it is because there are different styles of dieting or eating a well balanced diet... for me, I lift weights, a lot of weights, so the serving suggestion is a little off for me...

Plus if you add up all the servings it requires, its a lot of food. like 7-13 servings of grains 7-13 servings of veggies 2-4 servings of fruits.. etc... there is no way someone can eat that much food. plus their calories would be sky rocketed...

I haven't researched it enough and I also think lots of people haven't researched it enough. but each person is different, and the "well balanced" diet of the food pyramid doesn't fit every one.
  • igor11
    igor11 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also don't hate the food pyramid. I used to study nutrition also, and even though yea alot people's diets need to be changed or adjusted b/c of food allergies and such, I think it's a good general guideline. It's not meant to be how you eat every day, but it's a good place to start. It shows you should be eating more grains and veggies than fats and meats. And i also agree, It's a good idea to have it around to help kids get a general idea of what healthy eating habits looks like, in a simpler picture form kind of way.
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    Frankly, I think the diabetes food plate is easier to understand and it is a good guide for most everyone.http://www.arfamilies.org/news/diabetes/plate_method.pdf
  • SaraTonin
    Options
    I also don't hate the food pyramid. I used to study nutrition also, and even though yea alot people's diets need to be changed or adjusted b/c of food allergies and such, I think it's a good general guideline. It's not meant to be how you eat every day, but it's a good place to start. It shows you should be eating more grains and veggies than fats and meats. And i also agree, It's a good idea to have it around to help kids get a general idea of what healthy eating habits looks like, in a simpler picture form kind of way.
    Exactly. I don't get why anyone thinks any diet is to be followed to a tee. I think this is about teaching people that your diet of all carrots isn't going to have balanced nutrition.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    WAAAAAAY too many starches. I'm sorry, but I just don't think the human diet needs to be based on grains. No, I don't do Atkins. I do South Beach. I do eat some grains, rice, potatoes, etc. They are just a smaller part of my diet behind lean meat, dairy, legumes, and low glycemic index vegetables (LOTS of low glycemic index vegetables). Frankly, if I ate that much bread, I would not be able to control my appetite. I would stay constantly hungry. Yes, even with whole grains. Yes, I do know this from experience.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    WAAAAAAY too many starches. I'm sorry, but I just don't think the human diet needs to be based on grains. No, I don't do Atkins. I do South Beach. I do eat some grains, rice, potatoes, etc. They are just a smaller part of my diet behind lean meat, dairy, legumes, and low glycemic index vegetables (LOTS of low glycemic index vegetables). Frankly, if I ate that much bread, I would not be able to control my appetite. I would stay constantly hungry. Yes, even with whole grains. Yes, I do know this from experience.

I agree.. this is why I wouldn't follow it.
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I had seen something awhile back that mentioned that historically, and I mean a looooooooong time ago we ate completely differently than we do now. Would be interesting to find out more about that.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I had seen something awhile back that mentioned that historically, and I mean a looooooooong time ago we ate completely differently than we do now. Would be interesting to find out more about that.

If that is something you are interested in, you may want to do some research on the Paleo Diet. I don't really know that much about it, but it is supposed to be based on the way people ate during the Paleolithic Era.
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hmmm interesting. It isn't that far from what I do now. I don't do a lot of dairy, or grains because both make me ill if i have too much. My weakness is sugar. I <3 my sweets.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    i, personally, am completely against the government telling me how to do ANYTHING in my life, including how to eat. but i'm curious to see what other answers you get to this one.

Exactly this!!!
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options

If that is something you are interested in, you may want to do some research on the Paleo Diet. I don't really know that much about it, but it is supposed to be based on the way people ate during the Paleolithic Era.

the paleolithic diet is TOUGH for people who don't tend to eat that way naturally. i have a friend who does the Paleo thing for about a month, several times a year - she claims it helps her correct her habits and compensate for eating her own goods (she runs a bakery). but she has told me several times not to do it, because it goes almost completely against the way i naturally am. it's kinda Atkinsy in that way, i guess. but definitely look into it, cuz, like Atkins, it does AMAZING things for people who can actually stick to it.