Breastfeeding and milk supply

Options
I've only been counting calories for about two weeks now and am noticing a difference in inches lost already (YAY). I am exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old son but I'm naturally concerned that possibly this is all affecting my milk supply. He's still having wet nappies etc but last night he didn't stretch as long between feeds and hasn't slept well today. I add the breastfeeding calories into my food diary every day but I am always about 100 calories under at the end of the day, but pretty full. Can anyone offer me some good foods to eat or drinks to have to make sure I keep my milk supply up. I wasn't able to successfully breastfeed my daughter so feel like a bit of a newby at this and am really enjoying it so don't want to jeopardise it now for the sake of a bit of weight loss :(

Replies

• MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal will help your supply a lot, you should try and have some everyday. So will the herb fenugreek.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Are you adding the amount of calories you burn just because you are breast feeding to your alloted amount for the day? Because it burns quite a bit...
  • jenny6703
    Options
    Congratulations on nursing! Weight loss while breastfeeding is really difficult, and it's a hard thing to balance with your supply too. I always had a lot of luck drinking Mother's Milk Tea twice a day and eating oatmeal. Any oatmeal is fine. Also, drink, drink, drink water! Good luck!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    It's a supply and demand system, so as long as you're nursing on the same schedule your milk supply should stay stable.

If you're not getting enough nutrients then your body will pull it from stores to make sure the baby gets what he needs - so it's VERY important that all your calories count!

I lost 45 pounds in 2.5 months nursing exclusively. I ate sensibly and did Tae Bo every time my daughter napped and it fell right off. Don't stress too much :bigsmile:
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    as long as you continue to feed regularly (ideally on demand if your life permits!) then cutting calories to lose weight shouldn't affect your milk supply. Women in famine zones can breastfeed, your body will take what it needs and put it into your milk first.
    However because of this good nutrition for you is important, as you'll be the one who is lacking, not your baby! so make sure you're eating well and you can allow some extra calories for feeding - I don't think MFP allows for this in the food diary but you can account for it yourself.
    IIRC exclusive breastfeeding can burn 400+ calories per day.

hth a bit!
    xx
  • TaraLawrence11
    TaraLawrence11 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My milk supply changed in the beginning as well but it has evened out and is actually thicker than before. I was worried about milk supply at the same stage as you. Just stick with it!! Could your little one be going through a growth spurt? If you nurse more then you will have more milk supply. I pump and feed and found that by adding a few more "pump" times in that my milk supply came back and has been better ever since. I also found that my milk supply diminished right before my period started back.
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    For me when I was breastfeeding a few things helped my milk supply. The number one thing water. Drink tons of it. I ate oatmeal as my lunch to help later in the day. I also drank mothermilk tea. You can find it in the gnc section at riteaid. Or you can take fenugreek (it makes your pee smell like maple syrup thats how you know its working) I also pumped in between feedings sometimes.

Your baby might be hitting a growth spurt too and needing more milk. Breastfeeding is all supply and demand. But if you notice a low production and none of those help I would speak with your doctor because they can also give you a prescription to help as well.

Kudos to you for breastfeeding!
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Options
    First off, congrats on breastfeeding! I breastfeed my little girl for 15 months and it was the BEST experience ever!

How much are you exercising? I honestly didn't start my breastfeeding journey until my baby was weaning... I was very hungry when I breastfeed- so I "tried" to eat healthy.

Google breastfeeding oatmeal cookies and sub-out some healthier things.

Only eat whole grains too.

If you notice a drop in your supply or fussy baby,,, try to eat a few more "good" things and steer away from gassy foods. Feel free to add me if you'd like additional support :)
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    It could be that hes going thru a bit of a spurt but if you think your milk supply is suffering, up your calories a little. You should be able to tell from the feel of your breasts to be honest, if theyre not as full just before a feed, if your letdown reflex is weaker etc

If your calories to lose weight are at 1200 you should be eating 1600 absolute minimum.
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, eat oatmeal. I found that the stove top oatmeal (not instant) increased my milk supply a lot! I would go from feeling on the soft side to being engorged in about a day if I had 2 bowls of it!

Mothers Milk Tea gave me a migraine and I thought it tasted terrible, but it's worth a shot! :) Adding Honey makes it a lot better.

Don't go under 1,800 calories. You will still lose weight, I promise! I ate 1,800 calories a day for about 7 months (I started dieting 6 weeks after having my son and by 8 months, I was down 60 lbs.)
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I also noticed a drop in supply at 4 months...I was practically crying because he did eat every hour at that stage and he seemed SO hungry...but it only lasted a week. I just made sure to drink 64 ounces of water a day (8 glasses) and eat the oatmeal.

AF returned for me at 6 months, so I think it was maybe my body preparing for getting a period again.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I hit a really hard time with both my son and my daughter right around 3-4 months. It seemed like I just couldn't keep up with them. I think they really are just going through a big growth spurt at that age. Just let your son eat as often as he wants and your supply will work itself out. It's rough and frustrating during those times, but your body will adjust. I'm a working mom so I have to pump. My daughter is 8 months and just the last two weeks has been eating more than what I normally pump. I had to add a couple extra pumps into my day and my supply is starting to increase. And like others have said...drink LOTS of water. I drink about a gallon a day. I have been consistently losing weight. It is doable. Like you have read...your body is going to give the baby what it needs. You will be the one suffering. So get your nutrients!! Don't know if you know this or not, but you can add breastfeeding to your food diary. Just search mom - breastfeeding. I use the one that accounts for burning 500 calories per day...and like I said, have been consistently losing 1-2 pounds per week.
  • laraalanasmith
    Options
    Hurray for breastfeeding! Remember that you need more calories while breastfeeding than during pregnancy. I know we are all keen to lose weight after pregnancy, but nourishing your child needs to happen right now and weight loss can wait. Focus on exercise and eating a healthy balanced diet, don't worry about counting calories yet. (Advice from a mother of three and former doula who helped many mothers during childbirth and initial breastfeeding.)
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I nursed my twins for 15 months without any problems, you can keep up supply! Make certain you are drinking enough water!! :drinker: :drinker: Fenugreek (liquid drops worked best for me in about 8oz of water) can help too. If you need to, pump between regular feedings, that can help increase the supply, but your body will adjust to the demands of your baby.

WAY TO GO on the nursing!! Congrats and it's really the best time for you and your baby.
  • helthymom6
    Options
    Drink drink drink I have breast feed 4 babies. Water is very important. Also remember that if you exercise to hard your body starts dumping lactic acid into your system. you might want to do some research but if I remember right lactic acid will get through your milk supply and most babies don't like the taste. I am not saying you can't exercise I would just do some research and see what kinds are best. Good luck. Breastfeeding is SOOOOOOOOO good for the baby and great for you as well. When the baby sucks it realese a hormone called oxitin( sp?) into your system. It causes mini contractions in your uterus and can help tone up your tummy. Go0od luck and remember to enjoy your time with the little guy!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I also noticed a drop in supply at 4 months...I was practically crying because he did eat every hour at that stage and he seemed SO hungry...but it only lasted a week. I just made sure to drink 64 ounces of water a day (8 glasses) and eat the oatmeal.

AF returned for me at 6 months, so I think it was maybe my body preparing for getting a period again.

It brought tears to me too! But like you said, it only lasted about a week or so. :)
  • CristineD
    CristineD Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice....I've calmed down a bit now. Think it's been a combination of things - period returned beginning of the week, upped my exercise routine this week and my little man is probably growth spurting. Couldn't have timed it all worse if I tried.

I'm currently having a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast but love the stuff so might have a bowl at lunch time too (it'll be a treat if you can believe it). Also think I might slow down on my exercise until we get over this little hurdle.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I just gotta add my .02 cents here. It is a supply and demand thing for sure. If you notice at any time that your milk supply is diminishing, make that baby latch on around the clock and it will come back. Be his pacifier. It slows down a lot when you introduce solid foods. Around the 3 month mark for me, for some unknown reason, my milk supply went wayyyy down. I started taking Fenugreek capsules (Natures Way, found in healthfood stores) and it came back with a vengeance within 24-48 hours. Just keep that in mind for the future! Good luck and happy nursing!
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    I nursed my son for 12 months and the only way I was a able to keep up my supply was to have a minimum of 64 oz of water a day. Water was key for me. I coul d always tell on Mondays that my supply was down because I had drank less water on the weekends vs. during the week. So on monday I'd drink 100oz to get my water back up and my Tuesday morning my supply was back up as well.

I also took Fenugreek which helped me a lot as well. Especially when I returned to worked and was having to pump 3x's a day vs only nursing. So, Fenugreek & water my 2 best friends that 1st year.

Good luck with your journey!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    My milk supply was truly impressive. I nursed my son and then would pump each side after each nursing session so my body was making milk like crazy. Unfortunately I did not eat well while nursing but I still lost about 30 pounds by just breastfeeding/ pumping over 8 months. Make sure to drink a lot and get lots of good food (healthy food of course.) best of luck. You are doing the best possible thing you can for your child.