Anybody trying to GAIN weight?

Options
Hi I'm new to the community, just got the iPhone app and I'm using it to track my calorie intake along with strength training. Wondering if anyone here is in the same boat, would love to add a few friends to help motivate and give advice and such.
-Cody

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Oh how i wish i needed to gain weight lol
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Um. No. :noway:

But I know there are some MFP users who are -- keep looking and you're sure to find someone!
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    defintely not me.. but I saw this girl post on the boards last week about trying to gain

kimmiesvogan

Send her a message.
  • codymham
    codymham Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks Anne. I will send her a message.

And thanks you other ladies too. Good luck to you guys on your fitness journey ;).
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    AYYY bro.

Yeah I'm trying to gain. If you need any help shoot me a message.
  • codymham
    Options
    Sweet dude!! I sent you a friend request.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    Sounds good.

How much are you eating everyday?
    Whats your training looking like?
  • codymham
    Options
    Eating 2800 calories a day.
    I'm mostly doing arms and chest, I'm happy with my abs and legs and I ride my bike about 5 miles a day to and from work. Got any tips for me? Seems like no matter what I'm not gaining weight. I work as a chef so I'm on my feet all day moving around. Im thinking of starting this shake called "pure mass" which has 1000 calories a pop. Right now I'm drinking an ensure WITH every meal and getting 80g protein a day
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    I'm mostly doing arms and chest, I'm happy with my abs and legs and I ride my bike about 5 miles a day to and from work. Got any tips for me? Seems like no matter what I'm not gaining weight. I work as a chef so I'm on my feet all day moving around. Im thinking of starting this shake called "pure mass" which has 1000 calories a pop. Right now I'm drinking an ensure WITH every meal and getting 80g protein a day

Up your protein. 2800 cals a day and only 80 grams from protein? Shoot for double that. I'm at 2700 cals a day right now and I get over 200 grams a day and that seems to help.

Also work your legs even if you're happy with them. You need to work your whole body, it grows better that way. And I've read it raises your test when you work legs. Dunno how much of that is true, but you're gonna grow more if you squat and work all your muscles.

Pure Mass is one option, but you're better off just upping your protein and buying a whey powder. Most weight gainers have cheap ingredients but cost a lot. When you could just down a protein shake with a cup of oats and get a similar effect.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

East more! around 3500 calories I would say (not knowing your info) and lift HEAVY with exercises like squats and deadlifts. Work up to a high percentage (80-90%) of your 1 RM.

I am still cutting, but plan on bulking when I get down to 16% BF.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options

I am still cutting, but plan on bulking when I get down to 16% BF.

soo much more fun.
    I love eating lots of food. I'm about to bump up to 3000 or so. Trying to work up gradually until summer is almost over, then i'll get to 4000 or so.

I cut for 3-4 weeks in feb and hated it. Luckily I was close to where I wanted to be, so I just needed to drop 3-4 pounds to be happy and ready to start bulking.
  • codymham
    Options
    Wow!!!! 4000 calories?? How do you manage to eat that much? I guess I'm gonna try to up my calorie intake even more.
  • End6ame
    Options
    Wow!!!! 4000 calories?? How do you manage to eat that much? I guess I'm gonna try to up my calorie intake even more.

Whole milk, is you friend.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Whole milk, is you friend.

Love the quote in your signature. It is so true here on MFP
  • End6ame
    Options
    Love the quote in your signature. It is so true here on MFP

HAHA... That is why I put it there... I get so annoyed with people sometimes.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    Agreed.
    Starting strength is a great program.
    Mark really knows his stuff.

4000 cals is tough, thats why I bump mine up gradually. I hate whole milk. But I can get 3k cals without much trouble. So another 2 protein shakes with milk and peanut butter and oats should do it.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain! There are a lot of girls with eating disorders on here, but I have only found ONE other girl who is actually trying to gain and isn't anorexic.

There are quite a few boys.

Would love to be friends with more people trying to get in shape and gain muscle mass!
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    Would be glad to help!! Always looking for fitness minded people who are striving for better body composition and not just losing weight.
  • kimmiesvogan
    kimmiesvogan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking I would be one of those women that is trying to gain but isn't anorexic. My problem is genetics and a very high metabolism. Been tiny all my life and it's cause some issues, like with trying to conceive, my BF is so low that my hormones and such get a little whacky. maybe a bit much info, but that's most of my motivation right now. My husband and I have been trying for over a year with no success.

I've started weight training with a friend of mine and go about 5 days a week, so going to the gym isn't much of a problem for me. My main problem is getting enough calories. Being on a limited budget doesn't help much so i've been looking for budget friendly ways of adding caolries. Peanut butter snacks, canned tuna. I've never been a big eater so I've had to just do small meals/snacks more often.

Always looking for tips and advise.
  • End6ame
    Options
    I'm thinking I would be one of those women that is trying to gain but isn't anorexic. My problem is genetics and a very high metabolism. Been tiny all my life and it's cause some issues, like with trying to conceive, my BF is so low that my hormones and such get a little whacky. maybe a bit much info, but that's most of my motivation right now. My husband and I have been trying for over a year with no success.

I've started weight training with a friend of mine and go about 5 days a week, so going to the gym isn't much of a problem for me. My main problem is getting enough calories. Being on a limited budget doesn't help much so i've been looking for budget friendly ways of adding caolries. Peanut butter snacks, canned tuna. I've never been a big eater so I've had to just do small meals/snacks more often.

Always looking for tips and advise.

Two suggestions for you. First is junk food it is cheap and high in calories. if you are trying to gain you don't have to eat clean. Gain the weight then diet to cut the fat. You should be left with a net gain in muscle mass if you are training properly.

Secondly is an option known as GOMAD (Gallon of <whole> Milk A Day) that is 2400 extra calories per day. this WILL ad muscle, again if you are training properly. more info on this option here:

http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/