Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Options
2»

Replies

• whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    oh i'm glad he's done a second series, can't wait to see it in the uk.
    he did one a few years ago in the uk called Jamies school dinners, very similar in principle to the us food revolution but just focusing on the school meals and he had the same negativity thrown at him from the kitchen staff, teaching staff, parents and the kids themselves, he struggled on though and he earnt my resprect for being brave enough to tackle these issues straight on and take the grief, in our series the parents would feed their kids fast food through the school fence rather than have the kids eat something healthy and nutrious.

heston blumetal (sp) has tried something similar but it didn't have the same impact as he's a very gimicky chef

sad thing in the uk is that prisoners in jail have on average more spent on them per head for food than children do for school meals, and people in hospital have even less spent on them than that
  • Swingdeva
    Swingdeva Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Onesnap we are opposites. I grew-up in Maine and lived there until last year but now I'm in Mass.
    But up until last year at the schools I worked at in Maine kids did have a fresh veggie bar everyday and flavored milks were not served everyday. What really got me was the amount of waste...
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I usually took my lunch in middle school, don't really remember elementary. In high school, my lunch break was so early (10:30 ish), that I often just had a pack of cheese crackers and a Tab (yeah...dating myself here). If I did get lunch it was usually a salad...thank goodness we had that option. If I didn't eat lunch, my mom would usually have something waiting for me when I got home...a little after 2.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    heston blumetal (sp) has tried something similar but it didn't have the same impact as he's a very gimicky chef

I love Heston... but I can imagine his "delivery" wasn't quite as well received as Jamie either
  • CollegeGirl19
    Options
    I just watched it on Hulu and I am thoroughly disgusted.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    My husband and I watched it, and I've been thinking about it ever since.

I think Jamie should open up a fast food place of his own (and yes, I even thought of a name but i digress) using the concepts he was trying to incorporate into the fast-food restaurant he visited. I got the impression that the owner relied solely on it for his livelihood, and losing customers due to the increase in food costs (albeit for better quality) would hurt him economically. I don't hold that against him or feel he is being irresponsible. Although on the flip side, if people took more responsibility for their own choices they may decide not to eat at fast-food places that do not offer higher quality choices which might ultimately end up hurting the owner as well. As a solution, perhaps slowly incorporate changes so it isn't as much as a shock.

As for what the children are eating - just ugh. I admire Jamie's dedication to children. I think it has to be a combination of things because it is all interconnected - children being taught well, children deciding well (yeah, I do realize how difficult this is) and parents/guardians and schools supporting all of it. I also think where you live plays a huge part in all of this. I'd be curious to find out if more affluent school districts/communities are offering better choices - my thought on this is "yes."

As for what I'm eating - that meat part stuff grossed me out, and made me aware of how lax I've been in reading labels and knowing where food comes from (genetically engineered food has NOT been on my radar at all until now) Made me also want to do all my shopping at the Farmers Market and Whole Foods, too.

It's an interesting show and I'll continue to watch it.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. And for the good reminder as well. I get out of work early enough with this job to hit up the farmer's market on the way home. I need to be better about doing it!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

I love Heston... but I can imagine his "delivery" wasn't quite as well received as Jamie either
    the kids in the childrens hospital thought it was great but i don't think i'd like ordering snot shakes (i think they were smoothies) and various other similarly named items if i was over 12 lol
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Mishy, that fast food owner from this episode admitted he does not feed his children his restaurant food!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Here's a link if you want to learn about GMOs in a short & sweet list:

http://leah-onesnap.blogspot.com/2011/02/gmo-thoughts.html

(my blog)
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just saw this article about Ireland banning GM crops and thought of this thread. :smile:
    http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/10/ireland-says-not-in-this-country-bans-gm-crops.php
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting the site for modified foods! Yes, the meat thing grossed me out. I thought how sad it is when someone from
    A different country has to come over and tell us how toxic our food has become. I love him. I really appreciate that he would have a heart so full of caring for children. When I saw him go into the meeting I had a feeling he would get rejected. Did you not see the old guard he was dealing with? I really would be surprised if any of those people had children in the public school system that gets these toxic foods.
    But here is a bit of reality I think we are overlooking. I don't think he is understanding the income level of these childrens families. How many must have parents that work two jobs to scrape by the rent, food, gas,etc. Let alone a one parent working their tail off to keep their fam in a home. This stuff is easy to get and easy to give to their fams. I am not saying it is right. My gosh..we have the USDA pumping out these toxins saying they are ok. But when people stand up and want to make laws against these things being put in food we are suddenly trampling on freedom. I think we need to look more at it as we need to help those who can't help themselves. Putting laws in effect is telling the big companies that just because someone doesn't make allot of money they are still worthy of good and healthy food.
    My son was telling me that the uk used to be very unhealthy. Then the government stepped up to the plate and set laws out on what was allowed ...calories,fat,etc....and what was not.
    Allot of countries do not allow our foods into their countries. And yet our stores import foods laden with toxins. Hmmm!
    And don't get me started on ignorant people. I had a nieghbor who told me ....he was also the maintenance guy...that he didn't care if the septic system was broke and leaking into the stream down the hill that drained into the lake near by. He said 'I don't care...I ain't drinking the river water'. Well.... I am a bad person because I do care. It got taken care of...but only because someone cared....me.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    Finally watched this on hulu yesterday..... WTF??? The "cold breakfast" was a brownie and the "hot breakfast" was a honeybun???? :huh: