Dr Ian Smith...Great Segment on the Today Show!

Options
eeeekie
eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/3041426/ns/today-today_health#42607508

He makes some great points! I'm getting my portion controlled but I had no idea a side salad is the size of a baseball! ...interesting. Good video!

Don't restrict yourself...just use portion control.

Replies

• Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Wow that's interesting !

I guess I have been way (or should I say weigh - LOL) off base with my side salad portions and need to make it smaller :-(
  • eeeekie
    Options
    Wow that's interesting !

I guess I have been way ( or should I say weigh - LOL ) off base with my side salad portions and need to make it smaller :-(

I feel the same way! I usually have a cup or 2 of salad when I make side salads at home. I guess I'll have to reconfigure that.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I usually have a cup or 2 of salad when I make side salads at home. I guess I'll have to reconfigure that.

Me too !

I always make a nice bowl of salad and figured that it was better to fill me up than eat other stuff that I shouldn't be eating a lot of. I have been trying to measure out my salad ingredients and have even counted all the calories including limiting the dressing portion.....
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think his point regarding side salads was in reference to restaurants and the dressings they put on them and THAT is when you need to watch the portion. If you're making a side salad at home and not coating it in dressings/oils, I'm pretty sure that can be a bigger portion as the veggies are not the bad part of salad. You're not going to gain/stop losing weight for eating an extra cup of lettuce
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'd ignore the side salad rule- He was mostly saying it because most salads come drenched in dressing(oils) that are high cal, fat & sodium. If you get your dressing on the side and there's not a bunch of bad stuff on the salad, then it's not going to matter- lettuce/ spinach is so low in cals they should have just said dressing on the side lol :)
  • eeeekie
    Options
    Good points...hmm