A great victory over Monsanto and their poison. =0)

Options
jkleman79
jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
Ireland Says Not In This Country: Bans Genetically Modified Crops
by Andrea Donsky and Randy Boyer, NaturallySavvy.com on 10.16.09
Food & Health (food)

Ireland gm-free genetically modified crops cabbage photo
Ireland has taken the bold step of banning the cultivation of all GM crops. Photo by ellievanhoutte via Flickr.

Prince Charles has called it the "biggest environmental disaster of all time," while Monsanto and others maintain it's safe for humans and the environment. Genetically modified foods are a contentious issue, but Ireland is erring on the side of caution, placing a ban on growing any genetically modified crops.

Ireland will ban growing of GM crops, and a voluntary GM-free label can be placed on all animal products--such as meat, poultry, eggs, fish, crustaceans, and dairy--that are raised with GM-free feed, according to a GM-Free Ireland press release. Ireland joins Japan and Egypt as one of the few but growing number of countries that have banned the cultivation of GM crops.

Smart Move for Irish Farmers
The agreement, signed by the government's two coalition partners, declares Ireland a "GM-free Zone."

The move will help Irish farmers who can't compete with subsidized agriculture powerhouses, says GM-Free Ireland Co-ordinator, Michael O'Callaghan:

The WTO's economic globalization agenda has forced most Irish farmers to enter an unwinnable race to the bottom for low quality GM-fed meat and dairy produce, in competition with countries like the USA, Argentina and Brazil which can easily out-compete us with their highly subsidized GM crop monocultures, cheap fossil fuel, extensive use of toxic agrochemicals that are not up to EU standards, and underpaid migrant farm labor.

But the move is smart not just for the benefit of Irish farmers and consumers; it will make Ireland's agriculture even more green, raising the country's environmental status on the world stage, says O'Callaghan:

The Irish Government plan to ban GM crops and to provide a voluntary GM-free label for qualifying animal produce makes obvious business sense for our agri-food and eco-tourism sectors. Everyone knows that US and EU consumers, food brands and retailers want safe GM-free food, and Ireland is ideally positioned to deliver the safest, most credible GM-free food brand in Europe, if not the world.

GM-Free Ireland Means More GM-Free in the U.S.
The U.S. imports large amounts of Irish diary products, including casein for cheese production, so the move will mean more Americans are getting GM-free foods.

Ireland's move will also provide a significant source of GM-free agricultural products for North American food product manufacturers, says Megan Thompson, executive director of the Non-GMO Project, a non-profit group that works to ensure GM-free foods are available to consumers who want them.

Ireland has taken a truly inspiring step to ensuring consumers' right to choose non-GMO products... As more and more companies in the USA and Canada are looking for non-GMO ingredients, this is a very timely move and we look forward to developing sourcing opportunities with GM-free producers in Ireland.

Bleak News for Monsanto
So far, Monsanto has been mum on Ireland's move, but odds are they're going to have a corporate version of a hissy fit--they'll sue.

It wouldn't be the first time Monsanto took on a nation. In April the agro-engineering giant filed suit against Germany for the country's ban on GM corn, but the courts sided with Germany, upholding the ban.

But with a country placing a sweeping ban, Ireland might be in for a bigger fight. It does, after all, set a precedent in Europe.

Replies

• angelarozmyn
    Options
    HOORAY! Now if only the US would follow suit...lol.
  • angel_eyes17
    angel_eyes17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!! :happy:
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    I am so happy to hear this! I honestly don't know much about the dangers of GM food, but the whole idea creeps me out. And I support anything that knocks Monsanto down a few pegs. Their death grip on the worlds food supply is ridiculous, and they use outright unethical methods to force farmers to buy their seed. If a farmer refuses, they just forced them out of the market. The justice system over here seems to be intimidated by them as well. There was a farmer in the midwest who refused to buy their seed, but all of his neighbors used it. Some of his neighbors seed blew onto his farm, and Monsanto sued him! AND THEY WON!!!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    Thi is great!! i just wish that the agro-department of the USA would pull their heads out of their heinies and wake up!! I'm getting pretty tired of the "corporation knows best" mentality where the voice of the people is blatantly disregarded! I try to buy non-GM and organic where possible. I hate the way food isn't really food anymore! Our great grandparents wouldn't recognize 75% of what we call "food" these days. So I usually try and follow that rule of thumb; if my great-grandparents didn't eat it, then maybe I shouldn't either.
  • Escultor
    Escultor Posts: 64
    Options
    Great news. I hope this is the start of a trend. A friend of mine who runs a CSA (community sustainable agriculture) told me a story of one of his friends/former farming partners who lost his crop because the seed had been infected by GMO intellectual property (manufactured seed). There was nothing the small grower could do. He had to turn it all over to Monsanto.

Look up "Calorie Man" by Bacigalupi. It's in the anthology Pump Six.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yea I had this one my facebook and I got in a huge debate on it with friends from home.. two of my most unhealthy friends that is. Which I found interesting that they backed up GMO and GH meats but couldn't play a sport if they had a gun held to their heads weight and health wise. Were saying there is nothing wrong with GMO.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

The US will never follow suit because it is not on the money trail.

Monsanto and Cargill lead the money train with their tainted GMO's, pesticides, herbicides and factory farms. :explode: :explode:

I have started lobbying against both companies and most people I see make excuses for them so that in itself will keep them going forward and the US government backing them along the way.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Great news. I hope this is the start of a trend. A friend of mine who runs a CSA (community sustainable agriculture) told me a story of one of his friends/former farming partners who lost his crop because the seed had been infected by GMO intellectual property (manufactured seed). There was nothing the small grower could do. He had to turn it all over to Monsanto.

Look up "Calorie Man" by Bacigalupi. It's in the anthology Pump Six.

Yep and unfortunately they are targeting farmers who are near the organic farms here in the Midwest. They are doing these practices on purpose.

One of my girl friends over heard a conversation between 2 Monsanto employees on a flight from ST Louis (corporate HQ) to the Northeast and she said it was like hearing the devil talk to his father.
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options

I couldn't agree more...we the consumers must vote with our pocketbooks and get the word out!!!
  • deverez
    deverez Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with GM crops. Monsanto, however, is a very evil company.
  • Grokette
    Options

Ok, if that is what you want to think.................keeping on thinking that way and every thing you ingest will be GMO, Not me. I will stop eating and starve myself to death before I eat any GMO products EVER.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup is in just about everything you can buy (processed food anyway) and it's considered a GMO. Here's an interesting article: http://www.natural-health-guide.com/foods-to-avoid.html
  • SyreetaJayne1
    Options

Ok, if that is what you want to think.................keeping on thinking that way and every thing you ingest will be GMO, Not me. I will stop eating and starve myself to death before I eat any GMO products EVER.

agreed, won't ever eat them again!!!