Help with grocery list

Options
Hi all and Im just so glad to be here(sounds like Im running for office, LOL) Ok, found out some way wonderful things about eating exercise calories so now today is shopping day. I only shop once a week as I live way out in the country. The hardest food for me to buy and not waste are fruits and vegies(fresh that is). I hear that frozen vegies are 2nd best. Would love feedback on that. Also, is there a way to get my fruits without buying fresh? Maybe juice etc?? I need things that will last. I will miss fresh salads each day but I can only get enough lettuce(good stuff)to last a couple days. If anyone has snack items that are healthy and will up my caloric intake those ideas are welcome, more than, also:) So far I know of these:

nuts(such as almonds)
Peanut butter
hummus(afraid to "go there" but willing to try it, lol)
My snacks I use already are:
Whole Wheat Ak Mak crackers
Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges
Wasa Bread with LC cheese on it
String Cheese
Cheerios w/Soy Milk
Natural Popcorn(Act II)
Whole Wheat Wraps with mozarelle(on occasion)
Celery filled with LC cheese, or plain
baby carrots with 2 tbsp ranch dip

Thanks in advance for any input!! denise in Sams Valley Oregon

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Hi all and Im just so glad to be here(sounds like Im running for office, LOL) Ok, found out some way wonderful things about eating exercise calories so now today is shopping day. I only shop once a week as I live way out in the country. The hardest food for me to buy and not waste are fruits and vegies(fresh that is). I hear that frozen vegies are 2nd best. Would love feedback on that. Also, is there a way to get my fruits without buying fresh? Maybe juice etc?? I need things that will last. I will miss fresh salads each day but I can only get enough lettuce(good stuff)to last a couple days. If anyone has snack items that are healthy and will up my caloric intake those ideas are welcome, more than, also:) So far I know of these:

nuts(such as almonds)
    Peanut butter
    hummus(afraid to "go there" but willing to try it, lol)
    My snacks I use already are:
    Whole Wheat Ak Mak crackers
    Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges
    Wasa Bread with LC cheese on it
    String Cheese
    Cheerios w/Soy Milk
    Natural Popcorn(Act II)
    Whole Wheat Wraps with mozarelle(on occasion)
    Celery filled with LC cheese, or plain
    baby carrots with 2 tbsp ranch dip

Thanks in advance for any input!! denise in Sams Valley Oregon
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    HI!! I just purchased a lettuce crisper at the grocery store for 5 bucks. It is about 10 " by 10" square plastic bowl that has a little tray at the bottom. When I go to the store I buy 1 or 2 bags of the chopped stuff-that I know I will use in the next 3 days and a fresh head of romaine lettuce.

I cut the end off the head, rinse it, shake it as dry as I can and put it in the crisper.

I could not believe it lasted a week! We just put leaves on our burgers and they were just as fresh as the day I bought them.

Maybe everyone knows this, but I didnt!!

I buy the frozen veggies in the bags. No sodium and taste is almost as good as fresh. Also you can buy fresh, then blanch it. That way it lasts a bit longer, cuz fresh is the best.

Check out the sugar in your peanut butter! WOW what an eye opener for me. I now buy Smuckers Organic.
    Hummus is so good. Look it over, they have several kinds. It is good on carrots...yummy!
    I also found Greek yogurt which i put on my potatoes and dip my cucumber, carrots, celery.

Whole Wheat Pita or chips. I take the pita, brush a little olive oil on it then put in on my george forman grill. My friend just pops it in the toaster. I then spred the Hummus on it, add cucumbers or grated carrots for a great snack.

I wish you all the best, And while your out can you pick me up a gallon of skim milk?

Thanks!
  • countrybee
    Options
    I live in a rural area as well. We do have a small grocery but they charge you double for not having to travel so far...lol I just discovered those "Green Bags", shown on TV. It claims it keeps vegetables and fruits fresher longer. I bought them at Wal-Mart.....I thought if they didn't work, at least I tried........they WORK!!! The lettuce doesn't turn brown as quick, I have had strawberries in the bag since wednesday and they are not getting mushy like they do in the box. Celery is not getting limp. I would say.....Get those and you are still doing fresh. Best part....you can wash and re-use them.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    ah, youre a doll, just caught this before leaving!! Ok, I will try hummus:) Also your other recommends!! Thank you soooooooo much! I can't get the crisper this time, unless I get lucky and find one at Winco. Can only afford to the gas to go into one store and I chose Winco as it has tons of health foods and also, huge produce, bins and meat section. Thank you girlfriend, so very much, denise in Sams Valley Oregon:) Yeeeeeeeehaw!!!
    HI!! I just purchased a lettuce crisper at the grocery store for 5 bucks. It is about 10 " by 10" square plastic bowl that has a little tray at the bottom. When I go to the store I buy 1 or 2 bags of the chopped stuff-that I know I will use in the next 3 days and a fresh head of romaine lettuce.

I cut the end off the head, rinse it, shake it as dry as I can and put it in the crisper.

I could not believe it lasted a week! We just put leaves on our burgers and they were just as fresh as the day I bought them.

Maybe everyone knows this, but I didnt!!

I buy the frozen veggies in the bags. No sodium and taste is almost as good as fresh. Also you can buy fresh, then blanch it. That way it lasts a bit longer, cuz fresh is the best.

Check out the sugar in your peanut butter! WOW what an eye opener for me. I now buy Smuckers Organic.
    Hummus is so good. Look it over, they have several kinds. It is good on carrots...yummy!
    I also found Greek yogurt which i put on my potatoes and dip my cucumber, carrots, celery.

Whole Wheat Pita or chips. I take the pita, brush a little olive oil on it then put in on my george forman grill. My friend just pops it in the toaster. I then spred the Hummus on it, add cucumbers or grated carrots for a great snack.

I wish you all the best, And while your out can you pick me up a gallon of skim milk?

Thanks!
  • dmmurray12
    Options
    You might want to try one of those hummus 3 packs or 4 packs, then you can try different flavors and see which you like the best. I had never had hummus before the nutritionist recommended it on raw veggies for a snack.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    For the record, frozen fruits and veggies are AS nutritious as fresh ones. They are not second best and because they last much longer, they allow you to save money and avoid being wasteful. Just make sure there is nothing added to the brand you buy. Sometimes sugar is added to frozen fruits or they are frozen in a light syrup. You don't want that. I buy 2kg bags of green giant frozen mixed veggies for 9$ and they last my fiance and I for about a month's worth of meals. I also buy Europe's best frozen fruit such as sliced strawberries and wild blueberries. These go great in yogurt, on ice cream, with pancakes or on their own. You can also use them in baked goods such as muffins. Good luck with your shopping!:flowerforyou:
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Because of waste, we use almost 100% frozen veggies- outside of lettuce. I like the steamfresh ones, just pop in the mic and you're all set!
    Fruits, I buy a variety fresh & eat in order of how long they last. Like berries first, then bananas, then maybe melons, and apples last foreeeeeeeeeeeeever. Also I do eat the little cups of "natural" applesauce, and mandarin oranges in juice (i drain the juice first).
    Other things that I live on-
    EB's Eggs
    deli meat
    weight control oatmeal
    kashi cereal
    almonds
    dark chocolate
    skim milk
    Double Fiber wheat bread
    Alexia Potatoes (frozen)
    Whole wheat pasta
    60 calorie pudding cups for emergencies.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure those green bags work . . . i got some myself, and my strawberries went bad in less than a week and my bananas were done in about four days. I gave up and got frozen fruit instead (and I've always gotten frozen veggies, love the Green Giant 'Just for One's being a single person).
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thank you much!!! Great info!! I've done my shopping for the week now but next time I will buy even more frozen and look for the fruits you mentioned:)

denise:bigsmile:
    For the record, frozen fruits and veggies are AS nutritious as fresh ones. They are not second best and because they last much longer, they allow you to save money and avoid being wasteful. Just make sure there is nothing added to the brand you buy. Sometimes sugar is added to frozen fruits or they are frozen in a light syrup. You don't want that. I buy 2kg bags of green giant frozen mixed veggies for 9$ and they last my fiance and I for about a month's worth of meals. I also buy Europe's best frozen fruit such as sliced strawberries and wild blueberries. These go great in yogurt, on ice cream, with pancakes or on their own. You can also use them in baked goods such as muffins. Good luck with your shopping!:flowerforyou:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    thanks to everyone that has posted so far. I don't have time right now to answer all but I just so appreciate being here with you all. I am struggling today to get in all my calories. It's like wow, I can't eat enough but it is all good stuff so no worries, LOL!!! gonna go rest for a bit, bye for now and see you all soon I hope:) denise:)