Has anyone ever tried Nutrisystem how did it work for you?

Options
I find it hard to stay on track and really don't eat as much as I should and I saw the ad for nutrisysrem and was wondering if anyone knows if it works I think I can benifit from it because it will have all my nutrtion and meals already out and I can easly make it too my calorie goal better!

Replies

• RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    the food is horrible and full of preservatives. It's low calorie but also empty calories. Honestly it's just a gimmick and hard to stick with. Just make healthy choices and count calories...
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I went on Nutrisystem several years ago. I lost weight, but I could never go on it again.

They lace the food with a special "proprietary" fiber blend and special non-nutritive sweeteners (sorbitol, malitol, xylitol) to which I had a rather extreme sensitivity. (Read: constant diarrhea)

I'm convinced the reason I lost so much weight was because I literally couldn't eat more than every other day. I spent the day in between recuperating.

I also didn't find the food that great. After the first week, you realize it all looks the same.
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    OMG I did years ago and the food is NASTY. You will definitely lose weight but once your off it you will gain it right back. It's not the way to go. None of those prepackaged meal plans are. At some point you have to go off and it's not teaching you to eat correctly.
  • MissKMN
    MissKMN Posts: 119
    Options
    Run away...the food is terrible and it's really not good for you. It's also brutally expensive for what you get. I lasted a week...

And of everyone I know that has tried it, only one girl was successful at losing anything significant that she didn't gain right back again.
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    my mom uses it and she has lost over 25 pounds. she is 62. she says it is the one thing that she can actually stick to. she is a life-time dieter...

*EDIT: i totally agree though, this is NOT the way to go.
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    Check out diettogo.com. The food is actually good (I tried it because I had a groupon), and relatively low in sodium (I rarely was over). I still supplemented with some healthy snacks, but it was nice having the structure. Their specialty is local-pickup, but mail order is available.

It's a little pricier than Nutrisystem, but unlike Nutrisystem, they don't require you to add things to complete the meals (there's a cost comparison on Diet to Go's website). They have several options too, choosing between 1200 and 1600 calorie options and a Vegetarian plan.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Nutri-System is BAD news! I was on it for 3 months and lost the weight, but eventually got sick of eating their disgusting UN-REFRIDGERATED food (all my meals came to me in a box! How healthy is that!?) I also found over time when I was eating the pre-portioned meals I was sluggish, and had no energy. Stay far away from this fad diet!
  • hjsyndrome
    hjsyndrome Posts: 215
    Options
    My dad did that back in the early 80's I think. He lost like 60 pounds on it. But once he went back to reg food he gained it all back.
  • rainbow_dawn1990
    Options
    WOW okay ya thanks for letting me know I was almost convinced to get it thanks soooo much!
  • paigecrowe
    paigecrowe Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My aunt was on it for 2 weeks only. She said it was horrible food.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend making a meal plan - then make and freeze individual portions (or fridge individual portions if you'll be eating them soon.) Do it monthly, every other week, or weekly depending on if it is easier to shop at once as well as cook large batches of several items, or if you want to cook several items in smaller quantity, or if you want to cook one thing and eat it every day for a week then change the next week.

I HATE making salads. I love them, but I hate making them! I will eat them though if everything is presliced and in my fridge and I just grab the containers and throw together a salad. I hate having to each time slice some tomato, find some chicken.... etc!

Plus, keep things like chicken breasts on hand at all times. You can precook them and freeze them in strips or butterflied breasts and they're ready to stick in the microwave and then throw on a sandwich, slice into a salad or quesadilla etc.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I would rather cook my own healthy food. Most of it was only tolerable. It wasn't worth the money.