Missed the gym ??

Options
I've been going to the gym religiously for 8 days, then yesterday I had such a busy day that I genuinely had not time to go. The whole day I felt like a cough potato - despite working a 9 hour shift!
I ached all over, and had no energy,

Today, despite feeling exhausted, I dragged my butt to the gym - and after a while it felt great - funny enough the aches and pains I also had yesterday and this morning have now disappeared - could it really be that my body missed the gym?

Replies

• Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym religiously for 8 days, then yesterday I had such a busy day that I genuinely had not time to go. The whole day I felt like a cough potato - despite working a 9 hour shift!

Today, despite feeling exhausted, I dragged my butt to the gym - and after a while it felt great - funny enough the aches and pains I also had yesterday and this morning have now disappeared - could it really be that my body missed the gym?
  • Laguapa
    Options
    Yes. Can you believe I havent gone in a week!!!! :embarassed: And I was going 5-6 times per week for 10 months!!!
    I cant believe Ive let a new job bring me to this. You have inspired me---I am going TODAY!!!!! I know it will be great to feel GOOD again.:blushing:
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    Yes. Can you believe I havent gone in a week!!!! :embarassed: And I was going 5-6 times per week for 10 months!!!
    I cant believe Ive let a new job bring me to this. You have inspired me---I am going TODAY!!!!! I know it will be great to feel GOOD again.:blushing:

Cool, glad I helped someone - I can't believe how missing just one day made me feel sooo slugish!
    Have a great workout :flowerforyou:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    remember it is also good to take a day off once and a while to relax and give yourself a break. :) I look at it as a reward for working hard all week, feels weird sometimes not to exercise, but it can be nice.
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    remember it is also good to take a day off once and a while to relax and give yourself a break. :) I look at it as a reward for working hard all week, feels weird sometimes not to exercise, but it can be nice.

Not exercise for a whole day :noway: I tried that, I hated it - I LOVE my gym membership, helps me get through my day sometimes (ok, most of the time :bigsmile: )
    I have corporate membership - turns out as I work for the local council, I am entitled :drinker: :drinker: , so, this means I have free access to ALL 5 sites - and one has a spa, steam room and sauna - so I'm going to go there once a week, and treat myself to an appointment in the health suite as a pat on the back for keeping up the hard work :bigsmile:
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

I believe it. I didn't walk yesterday and I ached all over. Just got back from walking 3 miles and those aches are gone.
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    I believe it. I didn't walk yesterday and I ached all over. Just got back from walking 3 miles and those aches are gone.
    [/quote]

Well done you :drinker: I'm amazed at how much more flexible I feel after going to the gym, I could hardly walk yesterday, and really started to feel low because of my aches & pains.
  • Laguapa
    Options

You are absolutely right! My trainer warned me that I must take 1-2 days off per week to give muscles time to tone to rest the body---its actually a must for a healthy exercising and/or losing weight regime.

As a matter of fact if anyone is trying to lose weight---taking a day or 2 off is a MUST. I cant remember the exact technical reason but any certified trainer will agree.
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    You are absolutely right! My trainer warned me that I must take 1-2 days off per week to give muscles time to tone to rest the body---its actually a must for a healthy exercising and/or losing weight regime.

As a matter of fact if anyone is trying to lose weight---taking a day or 2 off is a MUST. I cant remember the exact technical reason but any certified trainer will agree.

Hmmm, I'll speak to my trainer, he seemed fine abotu me working out 7 days a week - and doing classes 3 times a week, think I'll make it clear exactly what I'm planning to do when I see him on Friday - see what he says :flowerforyou:
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    :sad: I MISS THE GYM SO BAD! I AINT BEEN SINCE JULY!
  • jimswmn
    Options

Hmmm, I'll speak to my trainer, he seemed fine abotu me working out 7 days a week - and doing classes 3 times a week, think I'll make it clear exactly what I'm planning to do when I see him on Friday - see what he says :flowerforyou:

I don't remember the exact reasoning behind the days off either. My daughter has her BS in exercise science and MS in Kinesiology, (she's my trainer) and recommends at least one day of rest.
  • Laguapa
    Options
    Absolutely--I am curious to find out what the reasoning would be behind working out 7 days per week. I am open to new ideas and opinions :smile:

For me ---in losing 43 pounds--taking off a day or 2 was part of my regime and it worked.:ohwell:
  • Jackie_W
    Options
    I must admit, when I only did 30 mins - 3 days per week I still lost around 2lbs per week, I now do 60 minutes per day - at least 6 days a week, I'm just curious as to why it was , when I had the day off last Saturday, I ached all over - my calf muscles and back felt like I'd been hit by a truck, yet when I went back to the gym the day after, I felt great after my workout - no pain or stiffness at all.

I'm starting a Pilates class tomorrow - which I'm told is hard at first, then, on Friday's I'm taking up Badminton with my son, personally I think I should have a day off, but I'm worried that I'll end up in pain again and not be able to walk properly - last weekend was a real pain, I had a 10 hour shift to do at work - on my feet all day.
  • jeena
    jeena Posts: 29
    Options
    if i miss the gym i get on exercisetv on demand or on the website. usually on the website there are workouts you can do without purchasing.:happy:
  • jimswmn
    Options

I don't remember the exact reasoning behind the days off either. My daughter has her BS in exercise science and MS in Kinesiology, (she's my trainer) and recommends at least one day of rest.

Okay...here's what she said. If you are strength training (lifting weights) you are tearing down older muscle and building new. It takes at least 24 hours for the muscle to repair. If you don't give yourself a break, you are tearing the muscle over and over and this leads to an injury. As far as cardio, to prevent exhaustion and burn out.
  • Jackie_W
    Options

Okay...here's what she said. If you are strength training (lifting weights) you are tearing down older muscle and building new. It takes at least 24 hours for the muscle to repair. If you don't give yourself a break, you are tearing the muscle over and over and this leads to an injury. As far as cardio, to prevent exhaustion and burn out.