Anybody trying to GAIN weight?

Options

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    oh lawd. the gomad is brutal. I can't imagine a girl doing that.

I did about a half gallon a day for a while. Seemed to help a little. As far as the junk food goes, I like to bulk slowly and cleanly. I know you can get by with eating cheap crappy food, but I feel better in general if I eat good stuff. If someone can eat mcd's everyday and bulk and achieve their goals, more power to em. I'd feel like crap if I did it tho.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    As far as the junk food goes, I like to bulk slowly and cleanly. I know you can get by with eating cheap crappy food, but I feel better in general if I eat good stuff. If someone can eat mcd's everyday and bulk and achieve their goals, more power to em. I'd feel like crap if I did it tho.

I agree, but twinkles are cheaper than turkey and salmon.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    ^^ Yeah, I've tried the fast food thing... It did not help me gain weight. Just headaches. Protein shakes, on the other hand, seem to work.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options
    ^^spice up the protein shakes with protein and oats and PB. easy cals.
  • kimmiesvogan
    kimmiesvogan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Any other ideas for budget friendly high cal snacks/meals??
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of rice, loaded baked potatoes, oatmeal, chicken breasts, tuna, pastas, and stir fry. Money is the main reason I got too skinny!
  • codymham
    codymham Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow! Lots of great tips. Today is my first day at 2800 calories and I've got a 1000 left. Ate a huge breakfast and lunch, did some reps at home and biked to work. Hitting the gym after for a tougher workout and feeling great so far. Thanks again for the tips guys. Gonna try gomad.

Side note: anybody tried p90x?
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    add me if you like :) im also trying to gain
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I could give you some of this baby weight I'm holding onto unvoluntarily LOL
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    P90X is a good workout, however, it is not really for those that want to gain mass. It is a HIIT program designed to cut fat while trying to keep muscle mass. Stick with a VERY heavy workout plan of 2 or 3 times a week. As far as your diet, first find out what your maintenence calories are. Meaning the calories needed to not gain or lose weight. From there, you can add as many calories as you want to gain the amount of weight you want. For example, my maint, is ~2000cal. If I wanted to gain a pound a week, I'd have to eat 2500cal a day. Recognize this weight is not going to all be muscle. As has been said, you can then cut down to your desired weight. Rinse and repeat. As far as macronutrients, get at least 1g/lb of body weight for protein. I'd even say 1.5g/lb would be better. Protein builds muscle, if you're working out hard, you'll need as much muscle building blocks as possible. After that, it won't matter much where you get your calories from.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I am planning a gradual gain after June. The plan is 250 calories over goal per day along with Heavy weights. This will add about 1.5 pounds per month of LEAN MASS... no grow and shrink, just a steady muscle gain... I'm not a fan of gain and lose, gain and lose... It's a rough way to eat. I like consistent and efficient.

I also must say that the foods I eat are also VERY lean as well. I don't just eat anything, it has to fit my plan. :)
  • cacrat
    Options
    To the OP, I'm not sure what Damon is describing, but I'm guessing he's on a different kind of diet plan. But the basics of it are that you cannot eat an excess of calories and gain weight, without gaining fat. It would be amazing if our bodies worked that way, but unfortunately it doesn't. There are certain "tricks" to get your body to gain and lose at (relatively) the same time, but it takes a VERY controlled diet, usually a cyclical one.
  • JMuzzy
    JMuzzy Posts: 63
    Options
    i wish! my husband is.... cmuzzy

good luck! :)
  • michelle4271
    michelle4271 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    you can try COMPLETE MASS 600 its a weight gainer that we use for our son, each scoop is 200 cals (use 3 for the full 600 obviously) with the 3 scoops protein I believe is 50g

we get it at a nutritional store, "perfomance nutrition" but I know it can be found online, and I think the large jug is somewhere around $50 or so.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I'm not sure what Damon is describing, but I'm guessing he's on a different kind of diet plan. But the basics of it are that you cannot eat an excess of calories and gain weight, without gaining fat. It would be amazing if our bodies worked that way, but unfortunately it doesn't. There are certain "tricks" to get your body to gain and lose at (relatively) the same time, but it takes a VERY controlled diet, usually a cyclical one.

Respectfully, I disagree with this. I know a lot of body builders approach their diet with "bulking" and "cutting" phases. But you do not have to do this. I have been on the Stronglifts strength training program (stronglifts.com) for several months combined with a high protein diet. I have added significant muscle mass and shed fat (from 23% to 16% BF). Forget the roller coaster dieting, get under a barbell and eat lots of protein.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    My fiance is, he is eating about 3800 calories a day (6'4 185lbs) and he is VERY active, football, basketball and Insanity program now. It does get expensive but he is pretty much eating the calories I cut so for right now its been evening out.
  • bmontgomery87
    Options

Respectfully, I disagree with this. I know a lot of body builders approach their diet with "bulking" and "cutting" phases. But you do not have to do this. I have been on the Stronglifts strength training program (stronglifts.com) for several months combined with a high protein diet. I have added significant muscle mass and shed fat (from 23% to 16% BF). Forget the roller coaster dieting, get under a barbell and eat lots of protein.

This works in certain situations
    High bodyfat percentages: It's easy to cut fat and add muscle when your bodyfat is that high
    New to lifting: Your body is gonna build muscle for the first year or so, even if your diet isn't great, and even if you're losing fat
    Steroids: Not gonna get into the science, you can look it up. (Don't know if discussion is allowed on these boards.)
    Perfect Diet: I feel like you can continue to manipulate your body composition with a really good diet, but most people don't take the time to do this.

It's faster to just pack on the mass while bulking, and then cut it out later. Thats why pro bodybuilders go that route. It's the most efficient if you don't mind being a little chunky for part of the year.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Love it! I too and a StrongLifter
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

This works in certain situations
    High bodyfat percentages: It's easy to cut fat and add muscle when your bodyfat is that high
    New to lifting: Your body is gonna build muscle for the first year or so, even if your diet isn't great, and even if you're losing fat
    Steroids: Not gonna get into the science, you can look it up. (Don't know if discussion is allowed on these boards.)
    Perfect Diet: I feel like you can continue to manipulate your body composition with a really good diet, but most people don't take the time to do this.

It's faster to just pack on the mass while bulking, and then cut it out later. Thats why pro bodybuilders go that route. It's the most efficient if you don't mind being a little chunky for part of the year.

I agree with this if body building is your goal. And I would consider dietary roller coasters if I were not getting great results doing what I am doing, or wanted to get to 10%BF. I am content to get stronger and thinner at the moment.
  • cacrat
    Options
    You don't have to agree with it, its simply a matter of time until your body will fight back against your diet. If you are on a static daily caloric diet, there is no way to gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously. As bmontgomery said, unless you have a high amount of body fat, are new to lifting (seems like both apply to you), or engage in a cyclical caloric diet, you won't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. While I applaud your ability to do it now, and I hope you take full advantage of the opportunity. However, your body will reach a somewhat equilibrium point and will try to fight against your diet. People with average weight, and have lifted before, (this will be you eventually) have to go through bulking and cutting diets in order to gain muscle and lose fat. If you want the science behind it, either look it up, or PM me.

Regardless, keep up the hard work!