Dieting/Working out and Alcohol???

Options
I wanted to know how detrimental drinking is for a diet?....I am trying to work out atleast 4 times a week...and dieting as well as I can....I tend to drink 1 or 2 nights a week...mostly drinking beer...i have upped my water intake ALOT and was wondering how bad it was for me in losing weight...and also what can I do to sort of reverse the effects or limit them....with out giving up those drinks

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up my beer. I just make sure I have enough calories left over for it.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I don't really drink but I found this online:

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
    alcohol consumption decreases testosterone production and the levels of circulating androgen in the bloodstream, this decreases not only strength but the resting metabolic rate, energy levels and the rate of recovery from exercise. the higher the BAC the lower test levels will be. consuming alcohol before bed disrupts the sleep cycles and decreases growth hormone (GH) secretion. GH is the most powerful fat burning hormone that the human body produces. alcohol also dehydrates the muscle cells and interferes with the Krebs Cycle which decreases fatty acid metabolism.

in terms of weight/fat loss there is not one positive to consuming alcohol on a regular basis. despite popular belief there is a lot more to weight loss than cals in vs. cals out. it's all about manipulating the endocrine system in a positive manner through the diet and with regular exercise.
    Source(s):
    BS Exercise Science
    IFPA Master Personal Trainer
    25+ years of resistance training experience
    17 years of martial arts training
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Calories calories calories. Also alcohol makes me a lot more likely to go eat something unhealthy after a night of drinking or the next morning.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I would try to keep it to one day a week and limit it. That's what I do with my wine. I used to drink a glass every night with dinner, but now I have it once a week only.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Calories calories calories. Also alcohol makes me a lot more likely to go eat something unhealthy after a night of drinking or the next morning.

^^^ and THIS!
  • trez8181
    trez8181 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Booze really interferes...it's not only empty calories, it slows down your metabolism. I have the same problem, my buddies love the sauce and really get after me if I'm not boozing right along with them.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Well, there's no doubt that beer anyway (unlike red wine) is not good for you. The question is: what can YOU live with? If you don't have a workable plan, you don't have a plan. If this is something you enjoy, figure out how to incorporate it into your life without shooting yourself in the foot. Because it does lower metabolism, however, you may want to figure out how many times a week you really WANT to drink beer. Good luck! :smile:
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I've limited my drinking to about 1 night and week and I made a deal with myself that for every beverage I had I would have 1 glass of water. So far it's worked great and my friends are becoming very supportive!
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Try drinking the low cal low carb beers like MGD 64. My sister switched to those and she can have 2 for the calories of 1.
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get some great links to forums and groups about alcohol from other commenters, but this is my primary diet struggle as well. Drinking alcohol is bad for dieting for a variety of reasons: it's empty calories which don't fill you up (and can even stimulate your appetite), it lowers your willpower to resist eating, and it's usually done in the presence or vicinity of high calorie fatty foods. And it can diminish you ability or willingness to work out the following day due to

But it gets worse than that. Alcohol has been shown to seriously decrease your metabolism while it's in your system (which can last days after a night of drinking). It can also impact your hormones in such a way that make it more likely you'll store calories as fat. It disrupts your sleep patterns, and therefore inhibits muscle recovery and growth.

Basically...it's a poisen that's bad for your body. But if you drink in moderation of course you can still manage your weight and be healthy. But that's much easier to do without alcohol! Not that I have any room to talk...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I read a LOT of bad things about alcohol & weight loss, especially beer. Maybe I just dont drink that much but I've never dealt with any problems. I like drinking good beer, no lite & ultra light stuff.
    But I maybe have 1-2 beers, 1-2 nights during the week, and then maybe 2-3 beers on one of the weekend nights. That's about it.
    Some weeks maybe a little more, some less. Right now I am on the less side with heavy marathon training. But I don't run tomorrow, so 1-2 beers watching the hockey game this evening is on tap :)
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    When you drink alcohol (beer, wine, liquor), it is the first thing that is metabolized, so it potentially stops any additional fat burn and could be slowing your weight loss. If it's working for you, don't worry about it. I go through spells of a glass of wine every night...or not. Currently in an "or not" stage. I have often said that I would have been at my goal weight a long time ago if it weren't for the weekends.
  • Sonnut
    Sonnut Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up my beer. I just make sure I have enough calories left over for it.

This is what I do too...and on occasion (a good card night or celebration), I just enjoy. I figure you gotta live, but make choices and compromises that allow for success in weight loss. Nobody likes a skinny crabby girl! lol
  • jessf786
    jessf786 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you for all your input...I was thinking that using my left over calories and just having some drinks....I understand that craving for carbs! I have been there before after a night of drinking...

But do you think it makes any difference of whether i drink a few beers or have a few vodka/seltzers???
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What about red wine? Apparently although the alcohol is still problematic there is an ingredient in red wine that aids weight loss. The articles I've seen have been in Time and the LA Times, which means they didn't have specific data and were filtering the science through a probably unscientific reporter, but did seem to confirm that a glass or two of red wine was actually good for you.

(I can't drink it myself - it triggers migraines if I have more than 2 glasses and I just don't like most reds enough to buy a whole bottle just for that.)

Nutritionists? Is the red wine thing crap or is there something to it?
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I will never, ever, ever give up my beer. I'm a craft beer fiend. It's one of my life's great pleasures. I just try to leave room in my calories for it. :) Thus far it hasn't really slowed my progress, that I can tell anyways. Five weeks in and just over 10lb gone. I know I won't stick with this if I have to give up beer.

But I've really cut back. I used to have one every other night, now it's once or twice a week... three times if there are special occasions going on, but I try not to let that happen. Good luck!
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've cut out drinking during the week. I stick to wine or good beer on the weekends and always keep it in my calories. I drink loads of water as well.

For me, alcohol causes me to lose my appetite, so I'm lucky and don't get the munchies.

I really don't cut anything out of my lifestyle, I hate the word diet, I just try to keep portion, moderation and balance in mind.

If I have something not so good for me then the next time I eat I'll make it something very healthy. I'm very close to the weight range I'd like to be at and it still seems to be working for me, even with having my beer and wine. It's all about what's going to make you happy but also working that into a healthy lifestyle and what works for you.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've cut out drinking during the week. I stick to wine or good beer on the weekends and always keep it in my calories. I drink loads of water as well.

For me, alcohol causes me to lose my appetite, so I'm lucky and don't get the munchies.

I really don't cut anything out of my lifestyle, I hate the word diet, I just try to keep portion, moderation and balance in mind.

If I have something not so good for me then the next time I eat I'll make it something very healthy. I'm very close to the weight range I'd like to be at and it still seems to be working for me, even with having my beer and wine. It's all about what's going to make you happy but also working that into a healthy lifestyle and what works for you.
    Exactly!:drinker: