Stinky sweat clothes!! Help!

Options
chrisyoung0422
chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
Ok,

I sweat like a mad man when working out and I work out a lot. I end up tossing clothes because they get that rank sweat smell even after a wash in our HE washer on sanitary cycle.

I did take a recommendation and soak the clothes in a vinegar mix prior to washing. I had to use a decent amount of vinegar to notice any change but then the clothes have a slight V smell for the next few washes. So the cycle continues....

We recently started using a febreeze sport HE soap which helps to mask it a little but I would prefer it gone.

Any tips or ideas MFP'ers?!?!?!??!!!??

Not sweating is NOT an option haha! :indifferent:

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Soak the clothes immediately after taking them off? LOL I don't really know what else to tell ya.
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Tide may work well when washing your clothes, use fabric softner like Downy for the rinse cycle, and a fabric sheet in the dryer.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that sucks! I don't know what to tell you other than check your diet. Maybe too much garlic, spices, energy drinks or whatever...and check your deoderant, you might need a clinical formula. Some people just give off a foul scent naturally even though they are a clean person.
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I hate when my favorite workout gear starts to reak! I have had good luck with the febreeze sport spray (I think the stuff in the detergent is probably helpful for maintenance but the spray gets those tough odors where they live. Really spray the clothing until it is well saturated and let it stay on there for a good while. Then wash. Repeat the process if there is still a lingering smell. This process salvaged one of my favorite racing shirts.
  • Pamela90B
    Pamela90B Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Maybe wash them immediately after your through with your work out? That way the sweat doesn't get a chance to sink into the fabric much. Also I would try putting baking soda in the wash with it. and i just read online that a table spoon and a half of vanailla will help. not too sure about that one though lol.
  • WarriorJayne
    Options
    edited because i cant read apparently... sorry.

i would try a good soak first in some color safe bleach?. then a wash... if that doesnt work... maybe contact a dry cleaner or laundry mat about what they would think?
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Have you tried baking soda?
    You can either add it to the wash, or soak in it in advance. If it were me, I'd try soaking with it first, because running the wash.
    Be generous too with the portions, it can't hurt. At worst, you'd just have to do a second rinse cycle.

I hope that helps. :)
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Make a paste with water and bicarb of soda, apply it to the pit area and leave for 20 minutes and wash as normal. Borax in the drum along with a biological powder works well too. If you can knock the heat down on your machine put it on a cotton boil wash but with temperature setting at 40 degrees. The cycle is very long and should help...vinegar should not still be detectable after a decent length wash so it might be the length of your cycle to blame
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Are your gym clothes moisture wicking? I find that helps!

Maybe throw a fridge box of the A&H baking soda in your gym bag to suck out the stink before you throw it in the wash?
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Between two adults who work out and two kids who are, well kids. I have some seriously stinking laundry. I have a classic washing machine, which is one hell of a workhorse. I use the normal about laundry detergent, a scoop of oxy clean and then I use white vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser on my washer. The really nasty socks get washed in hot water. That usually does it for me, but I think that older washing machine that can handle the sudsy detergent and has an agitator helps. They will have to pry that machine out of my cold dead hands. I refuse to give it up
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info homies!

I will try some baking soda mix and see what happens.

I have the sport febreez I think. Gray spray like bottle different from the norm one.