can't seem to get started exercizing

Options
diet is clean...little too much wine still but 90% vegan and almost all organic. actually lost 12 lobs before i found this site. now I want to kick it up a notch and just can't seem to get moving. too many excuses. any ideas?

Replies

• countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just get off your *kitten* and do it!! That's what I say to myself when I can't get motivated. Oddly it usually works. I'm a fellow 90% vegan. Best life change I have ever made.
  • jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    To start with I had to FORCE myself to work out. I love dance type things so that's what I did. Now I feel like crap if I don't work out. I say just force yourself. Start out with a goal of only 4 days a week and build from there. Any day you work out (even for 10 minutes) is better than nothing. I started out with 4 days a week, now do 5-6. :)
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I generally plan exercise into my day. Since I exercise at night, around 7, I try to eat more during the day so I have calories to burn. Once I've eaten teh cals, I have no choice! LOL I write it on our family calendar so I feel like I need to do it as well. SOme days I know I won't get a good exercise routine in but I will try to do some extra walking, dance with my daycare kids and daughter, play some Wii with the family or just do some sit ups, jumping jacks, push ups, leg lifts,,.... throughout the day. I work at home so it isn't that hard to find a time to drop and do some situps or something. Plus the daycare kids love to jump around!!
    You just veha to do it! Just eating healthy doesn't make you healthy. You still need to exercise!!!!!!!
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    They are right....you just have to force yourself to do it. Just pick a small goal for every second day to start and before you know it you will look forward to exercising and you will want to increase your time.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi:) Start out with baby steps.....maybe just a short walk around the block or down the street. Find something you enjoy doing that doesn't feel like exercise. For instance, I enjoy cranking up my favorite music and just dancing:) Great calorie burner. Jogging in place is a good burn too. When I started out, I couldn't even do 5 mins and now I'm up to 20 mins. Best of luck to you:)!!
  • acbecker
    acbecker Posts: 2
    Options
    It's funny, but sometimes it is so easy to make excuses about exercise. What works for me is to to stop thinking about the reasons not to do it and start thinking about the reason to do it. Starting an exercise routine is starting a new habit, a really positive habit. The more often you flex your "show up" muscle, the stronger it will be. And over time you will just want to workout. It won't be a chore anymore.

Reasons to exercise:
    1. I feel really proud after I finish.
    2. I get to tell my co-workers, friends, and family about my accomplishments. For example, "I ran 5 miles this morning." And then they usually respond with praise. Yay.
    3. I have less random aches and pains. When I have muscle tension I know exactly where it came from... the workout.
    4. I get stronger.
    5. My body looks better.
    6. It gets easier to do the same workout so I can compete with others better.
    7. I get fresh air and improve my cardio.
    8. I get to watch the seasons change rather than sitting inside.
    9. I get to eat more.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i'm terrible for making excuses not to exercise so you are not alone. however i have found myself moving more in the past few weeks, even tonight whilst i'm sat at work reading these forums i have the radio on in the background and i keep jiggling away to it, i am subconciously finding reasons to keep going upstairs, i dance while i am cooking (well i use the term dance loosely cos i can't dance), these may not be burning a huge ammount of calories (and i don't log any of them) the need to move is becoming second nature and i've worked out a couple of times this week which is unheard of for me, so i think its starting to sink in that i need to move

just don't put it off if you find yourself on the sofa planning to do some exercise "later" get up and do it now
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I agree with Angela. I was the same way and just couldn't get motivated. One day I just said to myself "ok get your butt out there and just do 10 minutes-you can do 10 minutes" I committed to doing just 10 minutes 3X that week and I caught the bug. You just have to take that first step. good luck
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to get up at 4:00 am to get my workout done! Now granted, not everyone can do this...I'm a morning person. I found that if I waited til after work i was too tired and lethargic to do it. But, everyone is an individual. I like going in the morning because my cell phone doesn't ring, my kid doesn't need a ride, I don't have appointments getting in the way etc...Plus, going into work I know I am done with my workout for the day! Find what works for you!!! Good luck....
  • Mandi1968
    Mandi1968 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    tell other people you are going to do it....people you would be embarrassed to know that you lied! For me it was my boss, she's a super athlete...
    Seriously, once you get started it is a lot easier...I don't even think twice about it now....I just come home from work and grab the bag and head to the pool.....it's second nature now...
  • bexfield
    bexfield Posts: 21
    Options
    Do you think you are maybe having inner conflict about taking charge of your fitness? Your profile says that you have struggled with eating disorders, so although I am not a psychologist, empathically I feel that if I were in your position I might have some emotional struggle with wanting to lose weight. So if that guess is way off base ignore this advice, but if you do feel some sense of inner conflict I recommend looking at any conflicting beliefs and opinions you have about weight loss and clearly define what you want (and don't want) to emotionally gain from this experience so you can build that structure around those real goals rather than the "weight" goals. Those are my thoughts.

Best of luck to you!
  • 145Karen
    145Karen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Exercise does not have to be the traditional jogging arobics treadmill ect. I have a hard time finding time for that kind of exercise also but every morning I put on my body bug and challenge myself to burn at least 2650 calories and walk 10000 steps I like to keep a pair of free weights in my kitchen and while I am cleaning or cooking dinner I do some random exercises. I try to march in place while I fold laundry and I dance around like a crazy woman while i do other stuff around my house. it suits me and I have a very clean house 2 birds with one stone :wink:
  • Ashley06118
    Options
    I get up and work out first thing in the morning. It helps to wake me up so I'm not so tired during my classes. I wake up 10 minutes early on the days I work out (every day but Tuesday) so I can do stair suicides. Then, if I feel like an overachiver I go for 10 more minutes later in the day. It's hard to get motivated, but once your used to it, it just happens. Its part of my routine.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    wow you hit it right on! I just now logged back onto the site ( blew it off for a few days ) and read your post. Thank you so much! I really appreciate your insight!