Lack of energy

Options
Ok so I am finding that I want to work out and I need (obviously) to work out but by the time I have the time to work out I just dont have the energy to do it. Any suggestions on how to get out of this rut?

Replies

• TROPIKALPUNCH
    Options
    Sometimes it is just a matter of sucking it up and getting out and doing it. Believe me, I am not an exercise fanatic, but now, if I don't get my walk in during the day, I feel guilty.

So the longer you force yourself to just get out there and do it, it gets easier and you really do want to get out there (and not only cause you feel guilty)

I usually exercise at my lunch hour or after work. When I work out after work, I don't go home beforehand - I go straight to my workout. If I went home, I would find excuses not to go out again.

Because I hike, I look at it as being time to be by myself and I love that feeling of not having (kid, hubs or work) responsibilities - it's just me and my ipod.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am the same way...today for instance...i was so tired and dragging when i got home i did not want to do anything...but I MADE myself get on that treadmill and do my usual 40 minutes. It was hard...and painful...but in that pain is success and accomplishment.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Do you take a multivitamin? I use "GNC Megamen Sport" and it always give me the energy to burn up the gym. Take it with a small meal approximately 2-3 hrs before your gym time and you will be good to go!!!
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i know the feeling...i have 2kids...one a rambunctious 1yr old and a 2yr old with severe disabilities so at the end of the day i just want to curl up and sleep, but i've not taken a single day off in 30days.

unfortunately it's times when you're most tired that it's most beneficial just getting up and slogging through it...you feel SO much better after you've done it...when your mind says 'nah, really not bothered with it' you need to force your body to just get up and do it
  • rulaborelli
    Options
    Also, make sure you're taking the right supplements. For me I take a vit D5000, an iron supplement, a natural thryroid support as mine is low, and a natural adrenal support.. Took me a while to figure this out, but they have made a huge difference. Check with your doctor if you are anemic or have throid problems. Good luck :)
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    KEEP PUSHING PLAY!!
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    This is the exact problem I have run into! I am a single parent and work long hours so I cannot join a gym or anything like that. I either force myself to wake up 1/2 hour early to work out on the spinning bike (at home) or I force myself to do it at night. I have started keeping a pair of tennis shoes at my work and I run our back stairs for about 25-30 minutes after work also, so I can get the workout in and then go home be able to relax. It is hard to get in the habit of working out in the morning and hard to wake up early for it, but it is nice to get my workout out of the way and not have to worry about it for the rest of the day AND it forces me to be more watchful of what I eat throughout the day because I do not want to lose the calories I worked off that morning.
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    Vitamin D and Vitamin B6 supplements may also help with your energy level/
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    coffee. works for me
  • katemarjoram
    Options
    If you can't find the momentum to face your normal length workout (whether it is 30, 45 or 60 minutes) tell yourself "well I'll just do 10 minutes weights/walking/running/whatever other exercise you're into". For me I normally walk at a very brisk pace for at least 60 minutes a day. On the days I feel flat I tell myself I'll just go for a 15 minute gentle stroll around the block. I find that getting started is the hardest thing and once I am dressed and out the door it becomes much easier to then say, hey this doesn't feel so bad I'll aim for 30 mins, then I get there and a lot of the time I'll be beginning to feel better and will push on to do the full length of my regular workout.
  • Mrs2Mac
    Mrs2Mac Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've experienced the same issue. When I get home from work the LAST thing I want to do is head to the gym, but I've noticed that if I just suck it up and at least get myself TO the gym - the energy seems to appear and I end up very happy that I went. I also notice that I have more energy for the rest of the evening. I end up coming home and doing dishes, laundry - all sorts of things that I probably would have ignored because I was feeling tired. I've been making myself do this for several weeks now and I'm noticing that it's becoming more of a pattern - and I don't have to do the whole angel/devil on my shoulder bit to get myself motivated.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    As stated by many already, it is just a matter of doing whether you feel like it or not. I didn't get more that 3.5 hours of sleep last night. By late afternoon when I could workout I had no energy to do so. On of my MFP friends gave me the figurative kick in the behind and I just went and worked out. It was actually a pretty good workout, and I felt pretty good after it. It does get easier as time goes on.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    It is amazing what you can get through if you are dedicated. On my road to being somewhat of a runner, I've found that I can run though being tried. I can run through being sick. Heck, I can run through a bit of pain. "I'm too tired" is the easy way out. Put yourself to the test, and if you find once your working out that if you truly are too tired to continue, at least you gave it a shot and it was not just you trying to talk yourself out of it!