Had a bad week...newish to MFP

pitterpat4353
pitterpat4353 Posts: 12 Member
edited September 26 in Introduce Yourself
I have been doing pretty good with my eating and exercise program. I am training for another 5k in May and going to do the Warrior Dash in August. My in-laws were in town last week and I didn't exercise as often, ate pretty bad (didn't even log it because I didn't even want to know how many calories I consumed) and drank too much! Yesterday I really had to dig deep to get back on the program. I could use a little more motivation because I feel my thoughts starting to get down. I know it was just a couple of days downslide...but it is so much easier to be lazy! LOL! Help! :smile:

Replies

• Hi! I think we all know how you feel and sometimes "falling off the wagon" is what, for me at least, is needed to get motivated again. Yes, it's hard to get back into the routine but you will get back in to it. I've been working out and eating healthy since February 16 and have fallen off the workout wagon.

Don't focus on what you did or did not do this past week, but focus on how you feel AFTER you work out. It's a great feeling walking out of that gym or making healthy choices. That has helped put me back on track. Also, just focus on one day at a time to get your groove back and you'll get it back. I promise. =)
  • Chin up. Don't give up just yet. Nobody is perfect. What helps me is determining before I eat or drink something if it is really "worth" the calories, i.e., does it taste "THAT" good? It helps me make better choices. I also find lower calorie snack foods that help me stay on target but still satisfy cravings. And, I'm learning to cook foods that have far lower calories too, even pizza. It's definitely a life style change, and it's more challenging some days than others. Social events & eating out can pose significant challenges, but I've learned to bring foods I can eat, or request them of a friend or at a restaurant. It helps that my husband and I are doing this together. We actually find we appreciate the tastes of natural, whole grain foods, and lower calorie cooking. Hang in there! And, I would log your food no matter what. See where you can make changes the next time you are faced with a challenging situation. Hope this helps.
  • moranimal
    moranimal Posts: 18
    It never happened. Forget about it. It's a waste of focus. Keep your eye on the prize and remember what you are here for. I too am training for a 5k obstacle course next month. My goal is to do the 10mi Toughmudder next year and that is where I keep my focus.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Try focusing on a specific goal...like the Warrior Dash, for example. I've been invited to go one at the end of July, but it terrifies me! I just don't think I could do it because it's not your ordinary 5K. I just finished my first 5K a week ago. But I think if you have a specific, attainable, small goal to reach for, the overall goal won't seem like such a daunting task.

I've been participating in a Meltdown at work, and my goal for Meltdown was to lose 10% of my body weight, or 28 lbs. Since I've started, I've lost 25.7 lbs...so I'm SO close and have 2 more weeks to go. However, I've been a little depressed lately because of some marital issues, so I've been slacking off on the workouts some, but I just have to keep reminding myself that I only have a few more pounds to reach my first major short-term goal.

If you have a bad week here or there, don't sweat it. Just take things one day at a time and celebrate the little victories. :)
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Hi there, as others have said, keep your chin up and look towards your goal. Don't beat yourself up because of a bad week - you still have to have fun and live your life, just get back on track again.. Life isn't a regime, just think about what you need to do, write the week off and carry on :) keep going, you'll be aiming for 10k next ;)
  • pitterpat4353
    pitterpat4353 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks! I know that I do feel much better when I am working out and eating healthy. I do pretty good when I am at work...it gets harder at home. I wish my husband was doing this with me...we eat pretty healthy, he just has a different approach to portion control and toppings.
This discussion has been closed.