What's Your Favorite Healthy Snack at Trader Joe's?

Options
natskedat
natskedat Posts: 570 Member
I'm going grocery shopping today and am interested in checking out some new things. What do I absolutely NEED to get?

Replies

• snowflakelaia
    Options
    I buy eggs and milk every week (weekends I do grocery shopping).
    I love to have hummus at home, to spred a bit on lettuce or the sliced-hardboiled egg for dinner.

Unfortunately, my closest Trader Joe's is 7 hours drive, you can imagine I cannot go there too often. ^_^
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    They have a lot of different hummus flavors and cheap Greek yogurt (TJ's house brand). Nuts and their trail mixes are also a good buy there with lots of variety. I also like their flax seed tortilla chips if you want a crunchy salty snack-not healthy but better than regular chips.
  • TurboJenn
    TurboJenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I load up on their Greek yogurt it's the best tasting and best price. I love the small bags of kettle corn (110 cal) and their meringue cookies are good and very low cal as well. I always buy almonds(pre-portioned), nut butters and dried fruit there.
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    - Roasted seaweed snacks
    - Wasabi Peas
    - Rice cakes
    - Almond butter on toasted Ezekiel bread
    - Lightly salted popcorn

Lots of goodies @ TJ...mmmmm =)
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    -Trader Joe's Garlic Hummus (it is AMAZING!!!!!!!!) :happy: :bigsmile:

(you can put the hummus on baby carrots, celery, whole grain Trader Joe's crackers, on sandwiches, etc.)

-Trader Joe's Tzatziki is AWESOME TOO!!!! I use 2 T of that as a salad dressing and it's only 30 calories and oh so tasty!

-popcorn

-yogurt

-cereal
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Not that we need to be thinking desserts, but I just found this review yesterday

http://bakingbites.com/2011/04/trader-joes-golden-yellow-cake-mix-reviewed/

I made desserts for my husband to bring to work every few weeks, and I will definitely be giving this a shot the next time I make something. I like being able to have 1 cupcake or cookie, package up the rest and have my husband take it out of the house. :)
  • Kate48230
    Kate48230 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My must-haves from TJ;
    Frozen fire-roasted corn, fire roasted 3 pepper mix, TJ's hot sauce, fresh salsa or pico de gaillo (sp?), fat free cottage cheese, Greek yogurt as others mentioned; I've not seen the tzadziki- have to look for that one!!!

We are having Mexican tonight. The kids will eat mostly the taco meat, beans and cheese on tostada shells- not the healthiest. For me I'll have an X-treme Wellness low carb, whole grain flour tortilla with a little meat and beans, raw onions, chopped lettuce, salsa, greek yogurt (tastes like sour cream) and a lot of my "Mexican veggie mix".

If I have time and the ingredients I'll make sort of a Mexican tzadziki; fat free Greek yogurt, a lot of chopped cilantro, garlic and a dash of hot sauce and salt if you need it.

Veggie MIx Recipe- take equal amounts of the roasted corn and peppers, put it in a dish, microwave for a few minutes, pour off the extra liquid. Take 2-3 cloves of garlic, press them in a garlic press or chop them and toss it in. Add a dash of the hot sauce, stir, heat a bit more if needed. This mix is very satisfying, flavorful, low cal and your guests will think you cooked all day- not! The leftover veggies are great cold the next day with salad greens; add a bit of salsa and yogurt for a dressing.
  • Kate48230
    Kate48230 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I forgot;

Arugula- it is a great, peppery substitute for lettuce on sandwiches, Mexican dishes, whatever.

Also the barbeque pulled chicken- much, much lower fat than the beef or pork.

Wine: Panilanco brand Carmenere; a nice rich red, and I'm picky, and only $5. Zafrica savignon blanc is also very good for the same price.

I love that place, can you tell? I am stopping on my way home.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bumpin to add my favs later!:tongue:
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Roasted Plantain Chips!

Whole wheat pizza dough + Spicy Chicken Sausage + Lowfat mozzerella + 1/4 container Pizza Sauce = Pizza dinner for ~550 cal.
    I remove the casing from 1 sausage, crumble cook it in a pan and then add it to Saute'd onions, bell pepper and mushrooms for the topping.
  • MICHELEJOYSUNDE
    Options
    -Trader Joe's Raw Almonds
    -Trader Joes's Organic Hummus
    -Trader Joe's Super Seeded Tortilla Chips (put the hummus on these...AMAZING!)