Goal Weight... I just don't know ....

Options
I'm 26 years old, 5'2 and started this journey at 135lbs. I'm now 120. My goal is 115, but I am starting to think that I will need to lose more weight than that to get my stomach flat. After having my baby, all my weight sat in my stomach. After I lost the first 5lbs or so, I did notice my stomach get smaller, but even though I've lost 10lbs since, my stomach hasn't budged. I can see every other part of my body is thinner, but not my stomach. The dilemma is that I don't want to be a twig. I want to be around 115lbs but I also want a flat stomach. This is really frustrating! I know it's impossible to "spot reduce" so I know if I really want to get that flat stomach I just have to lose overall body fat, but, I really don't want to. I guess this is really just a vent. There's no real question here. I'm almost afraid that I will never get rid of the stomach flab. :(

Replies

• FWBP
    FWBP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Check out your BMI using the tools on this site and what is a healthy weight for you...
  • mckant
    mckant Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I did the 30 Day Shred and noticed a huge difference. When I finished that I tried some other workouts but wasn't getting as good results. I went back to the 30DS and I can see results again - already! I highly recommend it.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I did the 30 Day Shred and noticed a huge difference. When I finished that I tried some other workouts but wasn't getting as good results. I went back to the 30DS and I can see results again - already! I highly recommend it.

That's actually the workout that I started with! I hated it though. I am doing TurboFire right now but maybe I can add the shred in some days.
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    I know how you feel. I'm almost at my goal but the damn stomach won't budge. I don't want to get too thin either. What do your workouts consist of? I'm about to start the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, I hear it's great for increasing muscle tone, which burns fat. I'm hoping this will make a difference. I know I have to watch my diet too. If I have too much dairy, sugar (including fruit) or sodium, I get bloated and this makes it worse.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but genetics/body fat percentage play a huge factor in being able to see your abdominals.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Originally, my goal was to be in the middle of my healthy BMI range which is about 135lbs (pretty much go there this week). But a few months ago, I adjusted my goal weight to be a little lower to 133lbs to give myself a little cushion for a bad day/week. I understand how you feel about wanting to lose more though. I saw a picture of my back taken about 2 weeks ago and thought man my butt looks big. But my clothes and my energy level tell me I've not been this thin or fit since high school, which helps with the emotional self assessment.

At a rational level, I think it should be more about toning your muscles rather than a weight issue (but then I'm not always rational). In other words, I plan on having no calorie deficit when I get to 133lbs but keep working out so I continue to lose fat and hopefully have firm muscle tone. That might lead to weight gain since muscle > fat, but as long as my clothes don't feel snug, I'm going to to be ok with it.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Oh and about those abs, I read a great quote on the MFP forums a few weeks back. Goes something like "Most people have washboard abs; they just pile lumpy laundry on top of them." I love the imagery and it's totally true! I can feel the "6 pack" when I flex... hiding under about an inch of fluff. Your abs are your core muscles and you use them all the time so they have to be pretty tough (kind of like leg muscles are pretty toned, but are wrapped in fat). So focus on removing the "laundry" and maintaining the "washboard" you already have.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm at my goal weight of 110 pounds, yet I still have a little stomach. I want to stay curvy and not look too thin. I don't know if I should maybe try to lose 5 more pounds or what.