vitamin/supplement ?

Options
mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
Do you take any vitamins? What do you take? Is there a specific time of day you take it? What's the difference between a vitamin and a supplement? I am constantly exhausted (seems like I always have been) so I'm considering taking an iron supplement to see if that will help. I did just have some routine bloodwork done to check my thyroid levels and I have a routine physical scheduled with my doctor next week so we'll discuss it more then.

Replies

• mignalg
    mignalg Posts: 30
    Options
    A good mutli-vitamin is key when working out. Often time with working out comes different and lighter eating and vitamin help to keep you even. Also, it is important to know that cheap vitamins will only be in your system for about 4 hours then you are no longer getting the benefits of them. I would recommend a vita-pak. Different vita-paks come with different things you may need for your body. Like I take the Active Vita-Pak from GNC. It has a slow releasing vitamins lasting upwards of 12 hours, energy supplements and other supplements that aid in weight loss and with energy. There are tons of different ones...like Energy vita-paks, Joint vita-paks things like that. I would recommend talking to a person at the store like GNC and telling them what it is you want from your vitamin and they will help you get the right one for you. When I started working out I was taking the One-A-Day...I was always tired which made it hard to want to work out, since I have started my Vita-pak have more energy to workout which means I get a more intense and longer workout in. Good thing about GNC is they give you 30 days to return things, so if you got a vita-pak and really don't notice a difference you can just take it back with the receipt and they will refund you your money or exchange for another product. You have to find what works for you, I went through a couple things before I found a balance of things that worked for me and gave me results.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • naturesrun
    Options
    Supplements are a good thing to take. You cannot get all your nutrients out of food alone. I know it makes a difference in how I feel and others I have talked to feel the same way. Some are better than others though, so, you do want to do your research and get a high quality supplement, otherwise, you're just throwing your money away.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    you know, I went through the same thing. I had the same blood work done. I am going to check into vitamins as well. I could sleep all day, and still get 8-9 hours a night.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    My first question to you would be; Are you eating enough calories in a day?

I haven't been taking any multi-vitamins, for years now and my energy levels seem fine. I did however, just buy a 180 pack of Optimum Nutrition, Opti-Men. The recommended dosage is 3 pills per day, one with each major meal. The idea behind that is so you get a continuous trickle of vitamins throughout the day because there's no way your body could possibly absorb all the vitamins. Considering I feel pretty good without any vitamins, I'll likely start just by taking a half a pill twice a day. Chances are I'll forget to take the second one, but I suppose something is better than nothing.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I need to have a blood test too, I'm alwaysss tired. Wiped out!

I take a multivitamin in the morning after I wake up, and I also take up to 3 iron tablets a day cos I'm anaemic.

Some people recommend some exercise not too long after you get up, B12 and iron deficiency.
  • dogluvr73
    dogluvr73 Posts: 17
    Options
    I take Vitamin D and Calcium because of back and bone problems with the women in my family, I also take potassiam.
  • taiyola
    Options
    you know, I went through the same thing. I had the same blood work done. I am going to check into vitamins as well. I could sleep all day, and still get 8-9 hours a night.

This is me! I get 6-11 hours sleep a night, but usually it's around 9. Yet 2 hours after I get up, I could go back to bed for a good few hours. I'm constantly exhausted and I don't know why!
  • taiyola
    Options
    Also could be Thyroid...
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    thank you so much for your response. I usually buy the cheap stuff like the CVS brand. interesting stuff.
  • jenn2782
    jenn2782 Posts: 47
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin before I got to bed. I know that sounds weird but if I take it during the day it makes me nauseous. But I do take B-complex in the morning and since I've started that I've noticed an increase in energy and I seem to be in a happier mood overall.
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    all my labs came back perfect. I have found if I have many headaches, taking b complex and b12 helps to get rid of them, not sure why, but the doctor told me to try it and it worked.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'll just say - I haven't noticed any difference when buying a cheaper brand vs expensive. Be careful about getting sucked into brand names and labels. I take a high quality multi-vitamin, but I also take a vitamin B-complex that I bought at walmart. A vitamin is a vitamin, regardless whether it's stamped with a $5 price tag, or a $50 tag. As long as the amounts/ingredients are the same, and it's a reputable company (not imported from Cameroon or Nigeria), you'll be okay. :smile:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Supplements are a good thing to take. You cannot get all your nutrients out of food alone. I know it makes a difference in how I feel and others I have talked to feel the same way. Some are better than others though, so, you do want to do your research and get a high quality supplement, otherwise, you're just throwing your money away.

So so not true. It is possible to get your nutrients out of food. Not really fun though..

I take a multi-vitamin daily, b-100 complex (For niacin, and b12), Super enzymes (for digestion), an omega 3 chew (vegetarian, but they're great for anyone!), Mg, and a thyroid supplement :) Every morning, before breakfast.
    Little fact, vitamins are absorbed better when consumed with Oj :D There's an excuse to have some orange juice haha..
  • VictorinoDennis
    Options
    Any good vitamin should dissolve in a glass of warm water in 15 minutes. If it doesn't then it is not a good vitamin.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    heard about that test , never tried it with mine but they dissolve fast enought inb me to make my pee day glow yello\
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Well, I am on DAY 3 of the GNC women's ultra mega energy vitamins... Holly cow! Now, usually, I would come home from work, and watch a little t.v. and doze a bit then slowly make dinner, then maybe get in some type of exercise, and do my night stuff and be in bed by 9-9:30. Well now, I am not napping at all. Today my daughter and I put some music on and cleaned. Cleaned like we were getting ready for a party, type cleaning. We did windows, the entire bathroom, swept and mopped, and right now, it is 10:30. I am such a believer in them! Holly cow!

I did get a deal on mine, but 1 box or 30 and get a second for 1/2 price. 1 box was 25.00. I thought it was a bit pricey, but totally worth it in my book... and I am very creap when it comes to something like this. Get them, you will not regret it at all!