Addicted to Food?

Options
DJJW
DJJW Posts: 519 Member
Anyone else watch the new show Addicted to Food? I've seen 2 episodes (bits and pieces)...it has people with all types of eating disorders. So it starts off with a lady taking about "thinking of food ALL DAY" well that makes sense....then I thought about what kind of show it was. I asked my husband how often he thinks of food, and it was "when I'm hungry, or when he smells it" When I told him that I think of food all day you should have seen the look on his face. That's when I figured out that this is the reason weight loss is so hard for me. It is a real addiction.....anyone else feel like they work their entire day around what and when they are going to eat?

Replies

• amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    yes. yes yes yes. you are in no way alone.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    absolutely. I think this is a great show and please don't be hurt that your husband doesn't understand. I'm sure there's a reason more women have these troubles than men, and for one thing I think it's how we handle stress. Women tend to rely on social networking more and use their sympathetic nervous system, whereas men internalize more and have heightened parasympathetic activity. eating is a very social activity and it makes sense that we plan our days around it and use it in our coping mechanisms. I think it's normal and natural and just needs intervention when it becomes unhealthy as in our cases.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    That's me right there. I am totally addicted to food. It really stinks :(
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    all day long i think about food, what im planning on eating and what i wish i could eat, i will go over in my head the food in the fridge or the cabinet.
    Hello, My name is Tiana and I am a food-aholic!
  • jamievolner
    Options
    You're not alone. Many just don't admit it. I was actually diagnosed with a binge eating disorder...I've been this way since 6 years old....I often wake up thinking of food and falling asleep thinking about food....it can be tough sometimes.
  • Ashbee1224
    Options
    Absolutely, but thats just how it is for me right now...Im contantly planning, adding, subtracting, figuring what I am going to eat next that is going to fit within my calorie budget, but as I heal and get healthier I think it will become easier and get more natural for me to just know what fits and what is okay to have. So here is to getting to that point!
  • I_Got_This_23
    I_Got_This_23 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Never seen the show but I only recently realized how often I think of food during the day. I'll be sitting at my desk and my mind will wander to the weekend... seeing friends.. "going out to eat? Where are we going? We haven't had Mexican in awhile! What would I order if we went to Mexican? Carnitas? Maybe I'll try something new? Fish tacos? Maybe we can order in, like Chinese, and have a girls night in? If we ordered Chinese I'd definately get some potstickers..." See what I mean? And yes, it'd be all day. And I wonder why I'm starving when I get home from work.
    My boyfriend said when his mind wanders at work, he thinks of jersey's and sneakers (he's a sports nut). When I told him what I think of, he said, "Wow. That's kind of sad."
    I've really worked hard to divert my brain when it starts going down that road. If I start thinking about food, I'll force myself to think about a vacation, taking a day trip, what am I going to buy at the Clinique counter...anything but food.
    it has done wonders for my hunger levels, and has helped a lot with my anxiety surrounding food. Sounds like an interesting show though, what network?
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    Sounds just like me! I walk around all day planning my snacks, breakfast, dinner, lunch etc and sometimes I overthing about what will happen if I am out of calories and still hungry after dinner. My biggest issue is I am at home most of the time and in order for me to get my mine off of food I need to get out of the house more.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I've read some of the Overeaters Anonymous literature. It's really helped me become aware of just how addicted I am to food, thinking about food, obsesseing over it. It was very humbling, to say the least.
  • cinnaben
    cinnaben Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes. I only realized I had a food addiction when I started researching it last year. I never realized that it's something you can have at any weight. I'm smaller than all of my friends so if I ever told them that I had this addiction I know they would think I was crazy, but that's why I'm here. I've always associated food with comfort and happiness instead of just plain nutrition. I am constantly obsessing over exactly when and what I'm going to eat. My goal is to really feel like I have control over my eating, because that's something I've never experienced. I used to have extreme binges but in the past couple of months I've gotten them much more under control and they seem to be way less often and and much smaller in scale. Sometimes I have to just snap myself out of it and walk away from the food. No one but people like us really understand exactly how hard this is.

You are not alone in this! We can all fight this together :)
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Food is one of a couple things I think about all day. You are not alone.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I thinkl about food ALL the time, I think about the next meal WHILE I'm eating... I dream about food...I sneak food and eat in private so people dont see how much I eat...*sigh* Its terrible and its ruining my life..
  • apowell13
    apowell13 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am right there with you. I don't think there is a moment that I am not thinking about what I would like to eat and what I wish I could eat. I think about it all day long. I count down the minutes to when it's time to eat again. I have a food addiction and struggle with it every second of the day.
  • tamanella
    tamanella Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I totally love this show! It has really made me stop and think about myself and why I eat. I already accepted the fact a while back that I had a food addiction so that was nothing new to me, but when that one lady Layne, I think, said she was afraid that there was something bad that wanted to come out and it was making her afraid, I was like...whoa...that's how I feel sometimes and then when Amy was told that she couldn't talk because she uses talking to keep the focus off of her pain....that was my second...whoa, because I do the very same thing. So I'm going to keep watching because this has been very enlightening.
  • rhonda1960
    rhonda1960 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to food too. I can begin planning what I'm going to eat when I'm not even hungry....Do you think it's more common for women since traditionally it has been her role to plan meals and make sure they are prepared for the family. I know this is just an excuse, but it seems as though there was a time when it was decided whether or not you were a good mother or wife based on your cooking skills. Oh well.. I guess it's another excuse to blame it on someone else when it's all up to me to control this addiction.
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Thanks guys. It is easier knowing that tons of people think like me. But I guess it's all about managing.

absolutely. I think this is a great show and please don't be hurt that your husband doesn't understand. I'm sure there's a reason more women have these troubles than men, and for one thing I think it's how we handle stress. Women tend to rely on social networking more and use their sympathetic nervous system, whereas men internalize more and have heightened parasympathetic activity. eating is a very social activity and it makes sense that we plan our days around it and use it in our coping mechanisms. I think it's normal and natural and just needs intervention when it becomes unhealthy as in our cases.

Don't want hubby to get a bad wrap...he's an awsome supporter. His only flaw is telling me I look beautiful and that I can have whatever I want to eat...:grumble: ok, he's a bit of an enabler:laugh: But I think he realized that I think different than him, and he's actually stopped night snacking in front of me since :smile: Love him!