Please rescue me from lunch HELL.

Options
Okay, so I have hit a plateau bad. I have been the same weight for the last 10 days even though I have been good about my calorie tracking, etc.

One thing I want to try, is to STOP eating Progresso Soup for lunch.

A) I am bored with soup.

B) I am starting to worry about sodium and water retention.

So, any ideas for EASY to make stuff for lunch? Keep in mind, I don't like cooking at all. Also, for me to be able to cook it at work, it has to be microwavable or able to be done in a toaster oven.

So help me out.

What can I make that is EASY for lunch?

Thanks in advance...

Replies

• kamechaf
    kamechaf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sanwhiches or maybe have leftovers from dinner the previous night. Anything that prepackaged usually have a lot of sodium.
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    You can bake some chicken the night before and take with Birdseye Steamfresh frozen veggies. Oh and WAR EAGLE! I start in the fall for grad school! :happy:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Can of tuna, mix with mustard. Put between 2 slices of whole wheat toast with a few leaves of romaine.
    Or sliced turkey instead of the tuna
    Or chili that you make at home and nuke.

If I can cook anybody can. Suck it up and start making stuff at home. It will help your diet to, to have full control of the food you're eating.
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    WAR EAGLE... sitting in Auburn right now =]

edit: something actually relevant

you can cook some chicken really easily in the microwave:
    chicken breast cut in half lengthwise (for faster cooking) cover in broth (veggie or chicken) and microwave covered on high for 10-15 min (untill no pink). You can cover it with cellophane, that works best.

Then add some brown rice and a pack of veggies from those frozen steam in a bag things. And you have a great, low sodium meal =]
  • jojokacz
    jojokacz Posts: 13
    Options
    I had an incredible lunch today. We had broasted chicken for dinner last night, so I chopped up some white meat, added it to mixed greens and sliced fresh strawberries. Not too much work and it was so yummy!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Sandwiches or leftovers are usually my easy lunch for work, but lunch meat is also pretty high in sodium. Leftovers of whatever you had for dinner the night before. You could cook a burger ( I usually stick with ground turkey) the night before and heat it up the next day. Tuna salad you could make at work or the night before to take with you.
  • jadebugs
    jadebugs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I almost allways have leftovers from the night before. I just tose the meat on some lettice, or put it on some steamed veggies. I would never have time to put someting new together:)
  • seadog1
    seadog1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like cornbeef and cabbage, also some spicy sausage crummles in mushroom soup.
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    Salad salad salad - lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, baby corn, sugar snap peas, cucumber, zucchini, carrots, sooo much you can put in a salad, included left over cold chicken, kidney beans, shredded cheeses. And for dressing try Newman's Own Light Honeymustard. mmmmmmmmm
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Salads are good, as are wraps of either leftovers from the night before, or some veggies/lettuce/cheese. Turkey or chicken sandwich, or tuna on a bed of lettuce. Some rice and meat from the night before. I'm all about leftovers. All we have at my work is a microwave and the food court...eek!!
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I buy Lean Cuisine and Weight Watcher frozen lunches.
    I think they are great.

I have all the variety I want and generally between 250-400 calories.

No brainer, pop them in the microwave at work and presto - lunch!
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    On the weekends I make up a big batch of grilled (or broiled) chicken so I can use it in lunches all week long. Use it for chicken salad, all kinds of chicken sandwiches, chicken wraps or sometimes straight up with a side of veggies. I personally am not a big salad fan but you could do that as well, top off a green salad with some grilled chicken.

Other things I do.. tuna on deli flats or leftovers from dinner the night before, hard boilded eggs with toast and turkey bacon and a piece of fruit.
  • RatBoyGL
    RatBoyGL Posts: 100
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

And War Eagle to all the tigers and future tigers!!
  • krisney
    krisney Posts: 56
    Options
    I like egg salad, just go easy on the light mayo. Or they have canned chicken breast to make a quick chicken salad.
  • strapple
    strapple Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    try replacing mayo on your sandwiches with hummus and making the lettuce and tomato the focus rather than meat

another great sandwich is cucumber and alfalfa sprouts with low fat/fat free cream cheese (im assmuing you wouldnt like vegan)

other than that go for birds eye vegetable steamers (some have cheese sauce and theyre very tasty!)

a packet of tuna with some bread is always quick and simple too (try again replacing the mayo with hummus)

i also like to put grilled chicken into a spring salad with fat free italian dressing (even frozen grilled chicken is better than a can of soup)
    the reason i say spring is because an iceburg salad probably wont fill you up but spring has a sharp flavor that your tastebuds will react to. you can add tuna and avocado to it too.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Salad salad salad - lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, baby corn, sugar snap peas, cucumber, zucchini, carrots, sooo much you can put in a salad, included left over cold chicken, kidney beans, shredded cheeses. And for dressing try Newman's Own Light Honeymustard. mmmmmmmmm

Yep, you can do a lot with salad. Add some feta cheese crumbles, a handful of nuts ( pecans, almonds, walnuts, etc). Also sliced beets are nice on a salad. Kalamata olives, cucumbers, sliced pepperocini and some feta and tomatoes and you've got a Greek salad! Cottage cheese is good too.

I find it helps to get a good mix (baby lettuce mix or spring mix). Spinach is good too! I love a hard boiled egg with bacon pieces, cherry tomatoes and light honey mustard dressing on spinach.

Another great dressing is Newman's own Lighten Up Raspberry Walnut. Yum!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If you like soup you can make your own - it is very easy, even for a non-chef!
    Or, we just make something like a chicken or beef casserole or meatballs or baked chicken drumsticks on the weekend and that is lunch for most of the week. When we run out of whatever we cooked, I just make extra of my dinner meals and take that.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Sliced deli meat from your local grocery store. No cooking, already sliced, good, good for you and microwavable if you choose.
  • Choirgirl37
    Choirgirl37 Posts: 255
    Options
    Stock your refrigerater with all the wonderful things that you believe would make a great salad -toppings and all. Be sure you clean the greens the night before. In the morning, just reach into the frig, throw a couple handfuls of greens into a bowl, add your toppings and put some dressing into a baby food jar and go. The key here is to make sure to include toppings that will make the salad truly enjoyable for you.

You could even add include a few tablespoons of chicken salad for protein. Just be sure to package it on the side so that it doesn't wilt the lettuce.
  • RatBoyGL
    RatBoyGL Posts: 100
    Options
    Thanks again everyone!

Lot's of great ideas!