Other Young Adults Looking to Lose?

Options
Hey all,

I'm new to MFP and looking for some others around my age to keep me motivated! It's awesome seeing all the different challenges and support groups but it's all a bit overwhelming and I'm just hoping for a few people to share in my weight loss adventure and maybe to start a challenge with! I'm looking to lose around 50 lbs by August 15th.

Replies

• elizabethx
    Options
    I added you :)
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    We have very similar goals! I am on board and ready to roll. Friend request heading your way.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what is considered a young adult these days, LOL. It seems like yesterday I was 21 and now, I'm 26, ahhhhhhh!
  • tappytaptap
    Options
    friend request sent!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I am an old adult. :(
  • rosec005
    rosec005 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Haha Angela, I don't think it really matters. I was just hoping to find some people who were younger and possibly still adjusting to being on their own. It all depends on whether or not you still consider yourself a young adult!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Had to click to see if I qualified as young.... :laugh: guess 30 is getting on up there, eh?
  • jvdw88
    jvdw88 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am 22 and also have a big goal by the end of August :) I'm on my way, and I'd love to encourage each other!
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm 22!
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am in that place. Living by myself for the first time in august. Add me!
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Added ^^ I'm also looking to lose my 40lb gain that I got during my first year at the desk job I have - and hopefully after to work off another 20lbs to be in my mid-healthy range :)
  • rosec005
    Options
    Wow this is awesome! I was looking and saw a lot of groups for people in their 30s, 40s, and beyond, but it's awesome seeing so many people who are going through the same experiences as me looking to lose weight!

What has everyone been doing as far as exercise? It's hard for me to exercise because I have arthritis but I've been going fairly consistently for 1-2 hours and trying to do a lot of elliptical work. I was thinking about looking into various work-out DVDs but I wasn't sure if they really work or (more importantly for me) are fun to do multiple times. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Little_Lisa_Ann
    Options
    What kind of arthritis do you have and what joints does it affect?
  • melaure
    melaure Posts: 33
    Options
    I use the Xbox 360 for my workouts sometimes, using the Kinect. The workouts are very simple but effective and get my heart rate up. I can't do some of the work-out DVDs because all of the jumping around hurts my hips. Granted, if you don't have an Xbox already, I don't suggest you go buy one JUST to workout. They are quite expensive.
  • Limeinthecoconut
    Limeinthecoconut Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you're not sure about buying a DVD, apparently many local libraries have exercise DVDs you can borrow. Just a thought. :)

Oh and I'm 22 also.
  • jfernandez81
    Options
    Hi! I just started this week too :) I'm 29. I have also been going to the gym for some time, but I know that the calorie intake is super important, so this site is great! I too have been doing a lot of elliptical, it seems to burn the most amount of calories, and I dont like to run, I hope to get to the point when running is not a big deal. I also need to lose about 50 lbs... I'm turning 30 this year, so officially a "real" adult, and need to get my act together. I also have been doing the body pump class, and I really LOVE that class, its hard but it hurts good :) I need to get a real scale, mine is so cheap and tiny that I can't read the dial when I'm standing on it.... That is my shopping hunt for tomorrow :) good luck! and the videos are good, I have a bunch of them... I just get lazy at home, I do better actually GOING to the gym.
  • rosec005
    Options
    What kind of arthritis do you have and what joints does it affect?

My rheumatologist isn't entirely sure! We had hoped that it wasn't degenerative but a recent MRI of my neck made it very apparent that it is :( Almost all of my joints have been problematic at some point, but my knees, hips, shoulders, and neck are the worst right now.