Net Calories

Options
Hi! Does anyone know if you go by the net calories after you exercise?

Replies

• chr0nicbookworm
    chr0nicbookworm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    you mean in terms of how many you should eat?
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    You keep eating from your "goal" calories it adds exercise back in for you.
  • faith7210
    faith7210 Posts: 41
    Options
    Yes the amount you should eat.
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Your Net Calories are: what you've all ready eaten for the day - your calories burnt during your work out

For example: if I ate 1500 calories by supper, but then worked out and burnt 600 calories, it's like I've only eaten 900.

Keep and eye on your net calories and try to make sure that they aren't too low - 1200 is the lowest women should go, any less than that and you are risking not taking in enough nutrients. This is why they strongly recommend eating back at least some of your excersise calories!

Hope that helps!!
  • chr0nicbookworm
    chr0nicbookworm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    that's what ive been trying to do too - i'm finding it hard though. can't seem to manage to eat that many calories.
  • faith7210
    Options
    My goal carories is 1200 and i burned 705 i still have over 600 calories remaining.
  • hedleyrocks247
    Options
    My goal carories is 1200 and i burned 705 i still have over 600 calories remaining.

Don't go by your "goal" calories - go by what you've all ready eaten today. If you've all ready hit your 1200 calories for the day and you burnt 705 that means you've really only taken in 495 calories for the day so you need to eat up!!! :) Remember MFP all ready sets your deficit to lose (after you chose our goal of course) so if you've chosen to lose a pound a week that would be a 500 calorie deficit a day -> 500 X 7 = 3500 calories which is the equivalent to 1 pound!
  • faith7210
    Options
    Its already 11pm here and im full. Im not sure what else to eat before bed.
  • hedleyrocks247
    Options
    I know it's tough!! This is what I do if it's late and I need to eat some more - I either have a double bowl of oatmeal (300 calories) with cinnamon and a glass of milk or soy milk, or a healthy cereal or yogurt and a granola bar!

If your all ready full then I'm wouldn't worry about it - being under your calories once in awhile isn't going to hurt you, but doing it all the time can be more harmful than good!

What you could do from now on is keep in mind on the days that you are going to work out and burn a lot of calories to have 6 small meals spaced out or eat a little more for Breakfast or lunch and balance it that way!! It's a learning process that's for sure!!! I'm putting my trust in this site 100% and it seems to be working for me so far! What it's teaching me is that being on a diet doesn't mean that you have to starve!!! Not that I'm calling this a diet LOL!! It's a lifestyle change!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Hi-

I would say, (after taking a peek at your diary) that a piece of fruit and/or some cheese (maybe part skim) or some milk before bed would be a nice snack. Also whole grain bread and peanut butter with a small piece of fruit is a good combo.

Nite nite!