I suddenly feel like I'm starving

Options
After a few weeks logging my foods and exercises, I think something may be off. I have always maintained my weight pretty well, lost 2 pounds here, put on 2 there, but always stayed between 180 and 190. Now I'm at 174, and usually go over my "Lose 1 lb per week" plan. I already have myself set for an active lifestyle, and even though, according to my reports I should be losing about 0.5 lbs per week, I am losing more than that, closer to 2 or 3. I was formerly working 45 hours a week between newspaper delivery and gas attendant, but am now working 27 at the gas station, and still have my info set to "active lifestyle". I don't feel like I should be putting my info up to "Very Active", because the job examples they give are more vigorous than my lifestyle, but I'm losing faster than I mean to and I feel like I am starving.

By the way, right now I am binging way over my calories on cereal and soon, Ramen Noodles, just to feel like I am not dying.

Is there anything I am missing? Should I just go with my gut (no pun intended) and eat more than my diary suggests?

Replies

• MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You can manually input your goals. If you feel it is coming off too fast, add in a few more calories to your goal and give it a week or two to see how it goes. Won't hurt anything to play around with the numbers a bit, and everyone is different so it may just be that the 'average' values MFP use are not applicable to you. As for the hunger, are you eating plenty of protein and fiber? Both help with hanging on to that full feeling after eating.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    this site only gives you guidelines really. It is also important to think of the kinds of foods you are using your calories on, sure I could eat 1200 calories in chips and cokes easily, but I will be hungry soon after. However, it is kinda hard for me to eat 1200 calories in all clean foods.

If you are wanting to stay in 180-190, I would definitely up the calories so you won't lose anymore. eating cleaner foods will lower your BF % and keep you full, so you won't feel the need for the ramen noodles :)
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Everybody's metabolism is different. You should adjust your calories, MFP is only a guideline.
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary. A couple ways you could help the hunger is spread out what you eat throughout the day, rather than 3 large meals. Also, you are only getting half of your recommended protein and protein can make you feel full longer and help with hunger pangs. As for the weight loss..I really don't know why you'd be losing so much so quick, but everyones body is different, so maybe try slowly...emphasis on slowly...adding some calories until you are in the mode that you want to be.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Based on everything you're saying, your gut feel is totally correct. Go ahead and up those calories and eat more. If you keep at this pace, you will be miserable from being hungry all the time, and you are likely to eventually stall in your weight loss. If it makes you feel any better, I had to manually jack up my daily calorie goal even higher than what "Very Active" gives me... and guess what? I work a desk job, so according to the descriptions, I should have picked sedentary.
  • rockmack
    rockmack Posts: 12
    Options
    I agree- protein is huge. I drink a protein drink which is really helpful. I also am active. Also I eat about 250 more cals than this website suggests and lose enough that I feel like I am making headway but not too much.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i would say that adding fiber at this point is key. eat raw vegetables like persian cukes and cauliflower and mini sweet peppers, if you can get 'em. i use the ezekial 4:9 sprouted grain tortillas smeared with avocado and hummus with a tap of hot sauce, yum. raw nutmeats like walnuts or almonds (raise your alkaline) and fruit smoothies are filling too, make with frozen fruit and unsweetened almond milk with a tablespoon of flax oil. you can also add a 1/2 cup of nonfat organic plain yogurt for the probiotics...

i would advise against the ramens & such, those just make you HUNGRIER! good luck! keep in touch and let me know if any of these helps! thanks
  • cassiopeia2713
    Options
    If you are very concerned, my advice would be to see a nutritionist. I've thought about seeing one recently and plan to make an appointment after this semester just to make sure I'm on the right track. MFP is great, but only a machine. It can't tell that you are going to bed hungry every night or if you are, in fact, a "very active" or "lightly active" person. It is really more of a calculator. A professional will better be able to help you understand what you are experiencing and guide you in the right direction.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    good advice:))
  • myowncrazycool
    myowncrazycool Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A lot of peoples posts have their short term and long term goals under their weight loss ticker. How do I get that on mine?
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    A lot of peoples posts have their short term and long term goals under their weight loss ticker. How do I get that on mine?

I think where you copy and past your ticker ( in your signature box) you can go and add it there :)
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    Set it up under signature. :) For your ticker to show up, i think you update that under settings.
  • myowncrazycool
    myowncrazycool Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou: