running in cold weather

Options
Any good ideas for protecting your airway when running in colder weather? I am trying to breathe through my nose but I can't do it.

Replies

• haleyk
    haleyk Posts: 58
    Options
    Any good ideas for protecting your airway when running in colder weather? I am trying to breathe through my nose but I can't do it.
  • malta1982
    Options
    Best thing to do is breath as naturally as possible. Your body should adapt to the temp. If you get sort of a burning feeling, breathing through your nose should help compensate for this, or you can breath through a scarf (or turtleneck etc)... Good luck!!!
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    What about if your ears hurt once you are back indoors? I am about to try running 5km and its going to snow any day now. I know the cold air hurts my throat and kills my ears once I get back inside.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    oh wait.. i could wear a toque or ear muffs hahaha
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When I run I breath very heavy and since i been trying to run in the cold its been killin me. ill just do my jump and jacks instead. If I do 50 each rep I breath the same as running and Ill stay warm inside!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's very difficult to inhale enough air through your nostrils when you're running. Feel free to breathe through your mouth, but lift your tongue to the roof of your mouth slightly. This will help warm the air so it's not such a shock to your lungs and you should produce less mucous.

Also, invest in synthetic fabric clothing that wicks your sweat away, like Under Armour or something similar. You don't want to be running in damp cotton when it's that cold. Layer that with a thermal shirt or sweatshirt/pants if it's really super cold. Wear a hat to retain more body heat. Remember to keep your ears covered as the cartilage there has no direct blood supply. Gloves too! If you get too warm, you can always stuff the extras in your pockets.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    SBS, you always have the best advice! Thanks for being on here.