Zero & negative calorie foods... Who Knew???

Options
There are foods that burn more calories than you ingest when you eat them!!!

Example: Celery = 6 calories. It takes 50 calories to digest it.

Some of these foods are:
Asparagus, apple, beet, blueberries, broccoli, cranberry, cantaloupe, carrot, celery, chicory, cauliflower, cucumber, dandelion, endive, garden cress, garlic, grapefruit, green bean, honeydew, hot chili peppers, lemon, lime, lettuce, mango, onion, orange, papaya, peach, pineapple, radish, raspberries, spinach, strawberries, tomato, tangerine, turnip, watermelon, and zucchini

Happy Dieting everyone!

Source: http://www.squidoo.com/zero-calorie-foods-negative-calorie-foods

Google it... you'll find more sites about it.

Replies

• erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I had heard about this before..but did not realize how many different foods fell into this catagory...thanks for sharing!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Yay! that's all I can say is just....YAY! :)
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    AKA "Super Foods"! Didn't realize there were so many tho. Good to know! I've been eating some of these things all along and never knew I was workin' out while eating them. lol
  • monkeybuttsmommy
    monkeybuttsmommy Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thats why I LOVE me some salad! = )
  • Rockin33
    Rockin33 Posts: 58
    Options
    Good to know.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    So if it takes more energy to burn those foods than they hold does that mean that they are 'free' foods? For example can you eat as many apples, or celery or blueberries etc... as you want and they will burn off on their own?
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    A lot of those fruits are hard to believe. Apples, oranges, watermelon has between 40-80 calories a serving.
  • Domestica
    Domestica Posts: 91
    Options
    A lot of those fruits are hard to believe. Apples, oranges, watermelon has between 40-80 calories a serving.

I agree! In fact, I don't believe that list is accurate. For those interested, you can read an article I wrote about "negative calorie" foods here: http://natashakay.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/eat-more-weigh-less-say-what/

The research I found only outlined a handful of foods that fit the bill.
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Complete MYTH. There is no such thing as a negative calorie food. Please don't believe otherwise. Yes, there are low calorie veggies such as celery, lettuce and cucumbers, but even those do not burn more calories by you eating them than they contain.

This explains it a lot better and more in depth:

http://www.answerfitness.com/269/negative-calorie-foods-fact-fiction/
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I agree with Chelios, I think this is an urban myth.
    All these foods are good for you and are definitely ones you should be eating, but I wouldn't delude myself that they are 0 or negative calories :)
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Just because someone posts something on the internet doesn't mean its true..
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    So if it takes more energy to burn those foods than they hold does that mean that they are 'free' foods? For example can you eat as many apples, or celery or blueberries etc... as you want and they will burn off on their own?

Nope. They still have things like sugar (especially in apples!), and other nutrients. Additionally, as many have said; it's unproven whether these are truly "negative" calorie foods.