He tells me how good I look.

Options
In the past 3 months I've gone down around 17 pounds and I can't feel a difference at all. Some of my clothes are not as tight but I still feel the same as I always have, I know I have a far way to go but i'm having a hard time staying motivated. Even though the scale tells me good things I don't feel it for myself. Take my husband for instance, he doesn't stop telling me how much better I've been looking and acting which makes me feel great for about a minute and then I think, "well he just doesn't want me to stop he'd say anything" I know that makes me a girl!
I think maybe it's the pessimistic girl inside me, so I guess the question is:
How do I start believing for myself before I convince myself to give up?

Replies

• ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues... I have lost 19lbs. And people tell me that I have changed but I just can't see it. My pants are loose but I still can't see it in the mirror....
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Just don't give up. You'll see it one day. Until then, have faith in what you are doing. It's science.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Take pictured of yourself. Sometimes you can't see it in the mirror, but you can see it in pictures. Keep your chin up!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    same issues tho ive only lost 8pounds... was nine but i gained this past week *sigh* i dunno that i can do it.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Well, let's think of what else you are accomplishing! You want to be a healthier you so you can be around for your son, and you want to set an example for your son. I urge you to stick with it! It's a series of good choices that will make us healthier, choices we need to carry out through the rest of our lives! Nevwer give up! Remember ALL the reasons you started my dear. It will be worth it, we know this in our heads, we need to believe it in our hearts! Notice I include myself here. Come on girl! Let's do this! Add me as a friend and I will be here to cheer your efforts! XX
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Have faith that you are doing something so good for yourself! I've lost 78 pounds and I am finally starting to see a change in my face and neck in the mirror. I'm sure everyone else has noticed but to me, I always look the same! I'm discovering new wrinkles too, but I'm a lot older than you are so its not an issue for you. Changes will come and you will see them for yourself. Stay strong! Getting healthy is a good thing for us all.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    Take pictured of yourself. Sometimes you can't see it in the mirror, but you can see it in pictures. Keep your chin up!

This!! I CAN NOT evaluate myself in the mirror at all, I just do NOT see me, but I can evaluate myself in pictures.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    same issues tho ive only lost 8pounds... was nine but i gained this past week *sigh* i dunno that i can do it.

YOU CAN DO IT!! Most of us are stronger than we think we ever could be. Throw your shoulders back, straighten your spine, look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you CAN!!!! We are woman, hear us roar...
  • SweetTooth68
    SweetTooth68 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hey, at least he's encouraging and supporting you! I am down 27lbs and not ONE person has said a single thing so far. I'm honestly wondering how many pounds it will take before anyone says something....

But back to you! I really think as you continue to feel those clothes getting looser you will feel motivated. Maybe like me you have your super fat stuff you just can't WAIT to throw away. Keep one and look at it and remind yourself that you never want to go there again. I tried mine on today and I was sick to my stomach at the thought of having to wear them in public again!

Also maybe start using a tape measure so you can get reinforcement from those numbers as well as from the scale.

And don't forget the alternative - if you stop doing this, where will you be in 3 months instead of another 30lbs lighter?
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If you guys are like me, you are looking in the mirror more, looking for those changes. Because you're always looking, it's not going to be as noticeable to you, but it will be to others.

Change it up every once in awhile. Instead of focusing on the changes you see, focus on the changes you FEEL. Do you feel better? Then you're doing something right and your body will thank you.

Take pride in what you have accomplished, and cherish the "little" signs that you are blowing off (i.e. looser clothes).

You're doing it...you really are!
  • palasa
    palasa Posts: 4
    Options
    Keep doing it.. i really dont see the reason why you would want to give up....if your not working out i would say start. your body will become more toned and your will see the diferance in your clothing.... we never think we are as big as we really are.. since we really cannot tell like others can.. if people are telling you you look great, then you look great.. im sure more then one people has state it to you. i think ones you go into the 20 pounds you will start see a big change in your clothing. keep up the great work...... also i know something that has helped me alot is eating more veggies when it comes to snacks... natural foods work wonders... good luck
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    when you hit 25 lbs you will notice it .keep going dont stop .im at 26lbs and i cant keep my pants up lol..
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have decided to lose the weight because I felt like crap, and looked like crap, and was generally feeling down about my self.
    I had been rushed to the hospital a few months back because we thought I was having a heart attack. Luckily it was a false alarm, nothing serious. But it was my wake up call.

Whenever I feel like this is tough, or I get tempted with something I remind my self that the way I felt before losing my 11 pounds was a lot worse than the temptations or that hungry feeling I might be fighting at the moment. I've taken on the attitude that this is a way of life for me now, not a diet. I am eating healthier foods, and when I have to have something not so healthy I control my portion size. Ive been at this about 2 months and I have lost 11 pounds. I know its not much but I feel a lot better about myself every day. When I look in the mirror I can see my double chin is going away. I recently went to the doctors for a physical and for the first time in as long as I can remember my cholesterol is normal. No pills, just eating this new way and some exercise.

You need to be totally honest with yourself. Do you like the way you feel? Do you like the way your clothes fit? Do you want to be healthy for yourself, and your family? Do you want to be a diabetic, or do you want to have heart problems, do you want your loved ones to have to take care of you? I didn't ever think of those things before we called 911. When I was in the hospital I was talking to another patient, an older man. I told him I was really scared and that I thought I was going to die. He told me dieing isn't scary, being sick for the rest of your life like he was is terrifying. He told me that I could very easily change my ways, but you cant do it "After" you get sick.

You deserve to feel better. You deserve to be healthy.
    Giving up on yourself is not an option.

Make the change and you wont regret it.

The alternative is much more scary than the cravings.
    Good luck !
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the rant.....:flowerforyou:
  • rexkt
    rexkt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Don't be sorry, I loved it! I had a brief moment of feeling sorry for myself but I'm over it now, mostly thanks to you!
  • aimeew26
    aimeew26 Posts: 8
    Options
    "He tells me how good I look" too :-) But.... YOU need to feel good about yourself! Stopping isn't going to help you feel better, and even once you do reach that feeling of feeling good about yourself you still shouldn't stop. Living a healthy lifestyle and maintaining a good and fit body is a never ending cycle. You can do this :-)
  • glendeb
    glendeb Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have decided to lose the weight because I felt like crap, and looked like crap, and was generally feeling down about my self.
    I had been rushed to the hospital a few months back because we thought I was having a heart attack. Luckily it was a false alarm, nothing serious. But it was my wake up call.

Whenever I feel like this is tough, or I get tempted with something I remind my self that the way I felt before losing my 11 pounds was a lot worse than the temptations or that hungry feeling I might be fighting at the moment. I've taken on the attitude that this is a way of life for me now, not a diet. I am eating healthier foods, and when I have to have something not so healthy I control my portion size. Ive been at this about 2 months and I have lost 11 pounds. I know its not much but I feel a lot better about myself every day. When I look in the mirror I can see my double chin is going away. I recently went to the doctors for a physical and for the first time in as long as I can remember my cholesterol is normal. No pills, just eating this new way and some exercise.

You need to be totally honest with yourself. Do you like the way you feel? Do you like the way your clothes fit? Do you want to be healthy for yourself, and your family? Do you want to be a diabetic, or do you want to have heart problems, do you want your loved ones to have to take care of you? I didn't ever think of those things before we called 911. When I was in the hospital I was talking to another patient, an older man. I told him I was really scared and that I thought I was going to die. He told me dieing isn't scary, being sick for the rest of your life like he was is terrifying. He told me that I could very easily change my ways, but you cant do it "After" you get sick.

You deserve to feel better. You deserve to be healthy.
    Giving up on yourself is not an option.

Make the change and you wont regret it.

The alternative is much more scary than the cravings.
    Good luck !

I agree with you there jrusso. I am doing this for weightloss, but I'm mostly doing it to be healthy and fit. For my kids, for my husband and for myself. I don't want to miss out on playing with my kids or going for a swim because I'm self concious. Nor do I want to miss out on their adult lives because I'm dead!

The changes are small, but one day, you'll think, WOW, where did that roll go? I am currently fairly chuffed that my top stomach roll is reducing in size! Haha, so sad, but true. I have a bottom roll which will take much, much longer, but I'm clutching at any positive I can!

Keep going rexkt. Th end result will be so worth it.
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options
    I have moments like that too. I honestly felt better when I got to buy a pair of pants that was a size smaller. Obviously we can't just go and replace all of our pants that are too big for us, but just one pair...even if it's off the clearance rack (well for me that would be better because I love a good sale), but just one little pair of confirmation pants might help to assuage your depression. Not that you should be a shopaholic. I also had a friend tell me that I should take before and after shots, and I agree, but I personally do not feel good enough about myself to take pictures of my body. This is the place for honesty, so there it is. I'm sticking to my confirmation pants until maybe I can get into the next size down! :flowerforyou:
  • lorisowers
    Options
    I have been feeling the same way that you have. I have a lot of weight to go so my 11 lbs may not me much but I do feel so much better. I used to have heart burn every day (very bad) I had to take two protonix a day and It was barely kept at bay. Since I have really committed to this this past few weeks I have not had to take the medicine once. That is what I take from my lifestyle change so far.

@Jrusso, what the patient said to you really made me think. I am so glad that you shared that with us because he is right once you get sick it is almost impossible to recover. My mother in law died from weight related issues, so I know what he means.
  • Staceslim
    Staceslim Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for posting your absolutely awesome morale boosters. I have been feeling the same way, I haven't excercised in probably over a week. I am already a diabetic but this week I might as well have been one of my Personal Care Home residents for all the good I did myself. I really need to give my head a shake & wake up because if I don't that is exactly where I will be. I get scared when I think that I will be in a wheel chair & going to dialysis if I don't get smart & start eating right. Thanks again, I really do want to do this and get on the positive side of the weight number. No more gaining just losing. Love you all.