Are You Making These Common Dieter's Mistakes?

Options
There's nothing worse than watching someone want something so badly and yet they go about it all the wrong way. Weight loss is a prime example of this. Come with me as I outline some of the most critical mistakes dieters make that is not only sabotaging their weight loss goals but potentially harming their bodies.

Read more here: http://natashakay.wordpress.com/2011/04/15/dieters-mistake/

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Great article and great blog from what I see.

Thanks for sharing. :)
  • ToniRee
    ToniRee Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree 100% with everything written! Thanks for laying out my thoughts for everyone, because nobody listens to me about the whole fake sugar thing. :-)
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    great article... :happy:
  • mjmtxk
    mjmtxk Posts: 33
    Options
    Excellent blog post! I wholeheartedly agree with you on pretty much every single point. Well done. Thanks!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Good article, thanks....totally agree.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    bump to read later ;)
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Very good article. Thanks!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Not a bad read, might be nice to back up your opinions with facts though. I hear tons of opinions on here, many of which have no basis in facts. I agree with most of your points, I have yet to see any valid studies into Splenda that find it harmful. Aspartame is fairly well documented and I am kind of surprised the FDA has not pulled it as a sweetener. I assume you never get into a swimming pool either due to the chlorine that will be absorbed into your skin.
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I started using Splenda a few years ago thinking yay I found something great here. I never get headaches, something I was blessed with I guess. And I couldn't understand why I was suddenly getting headaches. They were sharp pains along a nerve in my head. Not enough to ground me but enough to get my attention. I read into Spenda because my mom told me it was bad. I didn't listen and kept using it. No, it never made me ill and I never saw a doctor. But, finally I stopped using Splenda just to see if my mom was right. And sure enough the headaches stopped.
    Not everyone gets a symptom, some may not even notice a symptom they may have or may not link it to Splenda. There doesn't have to be proof. Just look at what's into making it and know that's not normal for our bodies. We need to watch carefully what we put into ourselves and not just wait for someone else to say it's not safe (FDA).
    And asking around I have now found quite a few people who had to stop using for some reason or another. Just because your body doesn't alert you to something bad, doesn't mean it's not bad.
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    Excellent article, I couldn't agree more about eating healthy foods in moderation, rather than all that processed rubbish. MSG, Aspartame, food colourings, additives and preservatives, GM... Its all total rubbish for your body.

Did you know who was directly responsible for getting aspartame to the market place during the 1970's? Donald Rumsfeld. And studies at the time showed it was lethal to lab mice (I don't agree with animal testing BTW). Should it really surprise us that such a dangerous substance was pushed through the FDA by someone like Rumsfeld? Aspartame poisoning is even called "Rumsfeld Disease" by some people!!
  • Jaynequ
    Jaynequ Posts: 39
    Options
    'Do you think that having to break down and eliminate them is as easy for your body as, say, maple syrup that comes from a tree?'

I have to disagree fundamentally with the whole 'anything natural is good' belief. Aconite comes from a very pretty plant that grows in my garden. That fact does not make it easy for my body to eliminate. In fact it is very quickly lethal to humans.

Processing foods does not necessarily make them bad for you either, often just more palatable. The most highly processed food most of us eat is chocolate. Raw cocoa beans are almost inedible, but most of us find the processed end product highly palatable!
  • thumper67
    thumper67 Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks so much for that awsome words of wisdom.
  • Ante_Up
    Ante_Up Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    "Ask yourself this, “am I focused on being skinny or being healthy?” Because once your mind makes that switch from wanting to be skinny to wanting to be healthy, you just untapped a whole new world of motivation, will power and determination. This paradigm shift will pull out resources you didn’t know you had. It will drive you to reach your goals in a way that simply wanting to be skinny could never do."

I'm just rounding the corner on this one. I'm not getting any younger and my body has started to show me I've damaged more than simply my waist line and my pride with my destructive life style.
  • iheartralphie
    iheartralphie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am guilty of using Splenda occasionally... :P

I agree with the processed food and fat free food points completely. When I had lost weight before I was buying all Lean Cuisines and "diet" foods, and yes I lost weight, but I felt crappy. I was eating all processed artificial stuff, not many fruits and veggies. Now I try to cook my own food as much as possible and eat as much whole natural foods. I also think a lot of people think because something is fat free or "diet" they have a free pass to eat unlimited amounts of it. I have friend who was using the parkay fat free spray butter, but she was cooking with it and dumping it on her veggies etc, and then she found out its only fat free for 5 sprays, she would dump a quarter of the bottle on something....and the bottle has something like 95 grams of fat in it! Better off just using a very small amount of real butter, its more satisfying, and doesn't have all those artificial ingredients in it!
  • tmontgomery69
    Options
    WOW! What a great article! Thanks fo sharing! =) I totally agree with you!
  • mrsboynton
    Options
    Great article! It looks like it's time to clean out the fridge and cupboards! :wink:
  • classicshell
    Options
    I knew splenda wasn't the best (still guilty for using it occasionally; I like the taste), and I do use regular sugar MOSTLY in things (or honey - I love honey. Natural honey, not store bought because that's the good stuff). But I didn't know much about the fat free products.

What's your suggestion for those of us who can't afford "natural" food stores, though? I work, am about to head to college, and my husband is on disability (he's had a rough life - including weight loss surgery so they could do another surgery that he desperately needed; knee surgery just a month ago). It's very hard for us to afford much, and we do typically buy from government issued food stamps (which a lot of "natural" food stores don't accept).
  • Domestica
    Domestica Posts: 91
    Options
    What's your suggestion for those of us who can't afford "natural" food stores, though? I work, am about to head to college, and my husband is on disability (he's had a rough life - including weight loss surgery so they could do another surgery that he desperately needed; knee surgery just a month ago). It's very hard for us to afford much, and we do typically buy from government issued food stamps (which a lot of "natural" food stores don't accept).

Great question!! And one that I feel very passionate about. After living overseas, where organic food was SUPER expensive, I was so stoked to come to America where organic food was affordable for me. That said, I fully understand that it's not affordable for everyone and it upsets me. Especially when you see families taking their kids for 99-cent tacos (that simply can NOT be good for you if it only costs 99 cents!) because it's cheaper than feeding them fresh fruit and vegetables. It's just not right.

So to answer your question, I will blog soon with some ways about how you can eat clean on the cheap...I'll send you a PM when I write it this week!

Natasha
  • Domestica
    Options
    Not a bad read, might be nice to back up your opinions with facts though. I hear tons of opinions on here, many of which have no basis in facts. I agree with most of your points, I have yet to see any valid studies into Splenda that find it harmful. Aspartame is fairly well documented and I am kind of surprised the FDA has not pulled it as a sweetener. I assume you never get into a swimming pool either due to the chlorine that will be absorbed into your skin.

Thanks for the advice -- I totally agree! In fact, I was thinking afterward that I should have given references for my studies and research. Will do for next time -- thanks!! :)
  • Domestica
    Options
    But, finally I stopped using Splenda just to see if my mom was right. And sure enough the headaches stopped.

DING DING DING!!! So awesome that you figured it out without any more suffering. In a way, perhaps you were lucky that your body gave you an obvious symptom.