Lost pounds today? Low sodium yesterday the reason?

Options
So I have been at this for about 3 weeks.
Started 201.6 and been rotating between 199-200 since I started. Yesterday morning scale (once again) said 199.4. I was at home yesterday where I tend to eat better than when I have to work so I had, for me, a low sodium day.
This morning on the scale, it said 197. Lowest yet. I couldn't have lost 2.4 pounds overnight, so trying to stay realistic.
Just wondering if anyone has had that happen and if I should just expect some to be back tomorrow if I eat "normal" sodium etc today. Trying to be ahead of myself so tomorrow when it goes up I won't feel totally let down.

And I KNOW I should weigh in everyday but I can't help it.. been waiting for something to show!

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday *shrugs* Keep doing what you are doing, just pick a day of the week and log it only then

you should not be worrying about this at all. If you gain it back, so what? its water haha
    I think you would be on a quest to lose fat and not care about water
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday *shrugs* Keep doing what you are doing, just pick a day of the week and log it only then

you should not be worrying about this at all. If you gain it back, so what? its water haha
    I know, I want to lose weight.. obviously was happy to see the 197 today. But can that be fat lost if the day before I was 199.4? I want to be excited but doesn't seem real, so just wondering if others have dropped a couple overnight only to have it come right back.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Actually you could. It can take up to a month before your body has adjusted to the new routines. Then all of a sudden your body will just start letting go.

Read this article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html (its focus isn't on the whooshes but it does explain how the body can let go of fat.)

of course it could be the low sodium too.
  • Blakemore1229
    Options

agree full with this post...if i keep my soduim down it does help a lot but i do drink about 9-10 bups of water a day...with walking/running every morning i weigh every morning but dont log it till Saturday...
  • tuscaroragal
    tuscaroragal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sodium has a lot to do with weight. I try not to weigh myself every day, (although it's tempting) because you do flucuate, and it varies. I weighed myself the day after a BBQ binge and I had gained 3 pounds...I almost had a freakout! When I weighed myself again the next day, the three were gone, plus one. You can't get tied up in the fluctutations...I try to only weigh myself once or twice a week...You avoid the "normal" ups and downs! Best of luck!
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    I hit the scale every Tuesday,remember to always use the same one if posssible.I'm sure you are working hard it takes time for any of us. stay focused and best of luck.Add me as a friend if you want.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options

I know, I want to lose weight.. obviously was happy to see the 197 today. But can that be fat lost if the day before I was 199.4? I want to be excited but doesn't seem real, so just wondering if others have dropped a couple overnight only to have it come right back.

it cannot be all fat loss. You would have had to have a deficit of 7000+ calories for it to be fat loss. Its just water and you will see it fluctuate a lot. It can vary from 0-5 lbs day to day depending on sodium and other factors.

And trust me we all have. I woke up one morning and was 122 but i knew i was just dehydrated from all the coffee I had so i didnt log it and expected it to shoot back up
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    Drink a ton of water and you won't have to worry so much about sodium intake. They say when you're trying to lose weight to drink half of your weight on ounces. Then when I feel like I eat too much sodium, I'll try to drink even more water than normal.

Your body may have been ready to get rid of those couple extra pounds sooner but couldn't because you were retaining too much water. So you didn't get down to 197 from fat loss overnight, but it probably happened over a couple days and your scale was finally able to show you the actual results once your sodium/water levels were in check.
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Drink a ton of water and you won't have to worry so much about sodium intake. They say when you're trying to lose weight to drink half of your weight on ounces. Then when I feel like I eat too much sodium, I'll try to drink even more water than normal.

Your body may have been ready to get rid of those couple extra pounds sooner but couldn't because you were retaining too much water. So you didn't get down to 197 from fat loss overnight, but it probably happened over a couple days and your scale was finally able to show you the actual results once your sodium/water levels were in check.
    I hope this one is true..lol. :)
  • fsugirl26
    fsugirl26 Posts: 207
    Options
    It happens to me allll the time...I'll retain water like crazy but eat really well and work my butt off, and then after a couple days, I'll mysteriously drop 3-5 lbs overnight!!
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i went away to my sisters for about 5days and only ate 1 bad meal..egg and chips...then on the way home i shared a 6"pizza and fries with my hubby...the next morning my scales were up by 7lbs!!

i have cut my sodium to under 1500mg since coming home(5days ago) and have all but dropped thatweight back off so i think sodium makes a huge difference in weight
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Prolly just water retention changing.
    But dropping sodium for a day, isn't going to drop your overall levels enough to cause much weight change. It's a common myth that cutting out sodium will let you drop all that water.
  • Jackee357
    Jackee357 Posts: 37
    Options
    The same thing happened to me, I was stuck at 201.6 for a lil over a week. Then I lowered my sodium intake to 1500 and up my water to 10 glasses n over night I lost over 2lbs and the next day over 1lb! :happy:
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about drinking half your weight in ounces of water. I've wondered just how much water one needs since everyone is different! :bigsmile:
  • elledoll
    elledoll Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think so,the same thing happened to me recently.I went from 186 to 183 and the only thing that changed was my sodium intake.I'm a college student and I have a meal plan so most of my food is already prepared and contains a large amount of sodium.Unfortunately for me,drinking a ton of water doesn't work to "push the sodium out".I have to actually intake less sodium to see any changes.
  • beavisfreak
    Options
    That two pounds probably isn't fat loss, just water weight. Sodium has a lot to do with how much water you retain, although it differs from person to person. I retain water like crazy when there's too much sodium in my diet, and lose it when I cut back. Although, I did lose weight after eating BBQ last night, so tell me how that works. xD