Anyone with SW 225 willing to share. I find meal planning di

Options
Hi
I need help when it comes to family meal planning. I have 2 teen boys and a hubby. I am usually tired when I get home from work and by then everyone (including me) is starving. I Once we've had dinner/supper and the dishes are done I'm ready for bed. So, in the past I ended up cooking things that were fast and easy - mac/cheese, spaghetti, burger/fries etc. I've been trying to cook meals that everyone can eat . The rest of the family are meat and potato people - not real veggie fans and do not like whole grain anything!. I can eat anything but I am not a fan of having to cook 2 separate meals each mealtime so it's easy to fall back on the trusty mac/cheese etc. I'm 5'1". My goals on MFP were set at Net Calories 1,550 calories/day, Carbs / Day 213 g, Fat / Day 52 g, Protein / Day 58 g (not sure what % that is). If you've overcome this dilemma I would love some ideas - especially from anyone who's SW/Goals were like mine. Appreciate any response.

Replies

• lpncortez
    Options
    I understand what you are saying- For a long time when i first started this, I ate lean cuisine dinners and fixed a regular meal for the family. Works pretty good when you can afford it. Other than that, I just keep repeating in my head ( PORTION CONTROL ) over and over. if i have to eat what everyone else is eating then i limit it to very small amounts. Hope this helps.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I have a rice steamer. I love that, because it is quick, and I add my own seasoning and eliminate the excess sodium. I also use allrecipes.com a lot. You can create an account, it is free. You make your own recipe box and pick the recipes you want for that week and it will even create a shopping list. there are crock pot meals, appetizers, and anything in between.

I love the lemon chicken tenders on that site and there is a broccoli beef recipe that is real good.

You could do the potatoes for them and make a baked sweet potato for you. I put steak and hamburger and pork, what ever I have on my salad for lunch.
  • ronchap
    ronchap Posts: 60
    Options
    I do the cooking at home and I still do burgers(lean beef) and mac n cheese but I'll do a small baked potato with greek yogurt and a green veggie instead of the mac or baked chicken breast with some type of sauce but I only use like a tablespoon over mine. I keep fish in the freezer so I can always do a piece of fish (it cooks quick). With practice you'll find you can make smart choices with minimal effort
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Cook one healthy lean meat, a potato for those who want them, and lots of veggies. Maybe the kids will get curious someday :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Crockpot! Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all your favorite veggies, cover with V8, cook on high for 30 minutes then turn to low (not warm, but low) for 7 hours. Moist and healthy and yum. Enjoy. :)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I get my kids tv dinners. If they don't want what I'm making, they can make their own dinner. :smile:
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I bought myself a couple fo quick but healthy cookbooks. Also, I slowly transitioned my family to a more healthy way of eating. I switched out regular pasta for whole grain **make sure you use whole grain not whole wheat and they probably won't notice** . I explained to my family that I was going to be healthy and they could eat what I cooked or make something themselves. Mostly they ate what i cooked. Good luck. (ps...they actually liked most of the recipes)
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying- For a long time when i first started this, I ate lean cuisine dinners and fixed a regular meal for the family. Works pretty good when you can afford it. Other than that, I just keep repeating in my head ( PORTION CONTROL ) over and over. if i have to eat what everyone else is eating then i limit it to very small amounts. Hope this helps.

This is what I did as well in the beginning. I also kept a piece of fish or chicken breast in the freezer ready to be baked or microwaved, add a salad, baked sweet potato...there was my meal! No matter what you eat, watch your portions, and steer clear of too much fast food. You'll start to see losses in no time!
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    When I first started at 220, I went slow. I just ate less of the same foods I was eating until I could get my husband on board with new eating. And even now, we have to compromise (we still eat pizza and burgers, but also fish and chicken).
    I would treat them like I treat my toddlers. Make dinner, whatever you want, and if they don't eat it, then they can go hungry (or make something themselves). You should have to be made to eat what they like if they can't try what you like, especially since its all in the name of a healthy lifestyle.

((HUGS))
  • margielewis
    margielewis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This made me really laugh! What a great idea.
  • margielewis
    Options
    This made me really laugh! What a great idea.
    This was what I was referring to. Sorry. I've only been here 2 weeks and haven't posted a quote before now.
  • corinarg
    corinarg Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi, Margie! I happened upon your recent post and could relate to the struggle of feeding everyone else after a long day at work. I'm trying to cook just one meal for all of us and it can be challenging when I have to watch my portions and calories. I've been looking at a lot of recipe sites and actually using recipes instead of just cooking and seasoning something at random. I recently stumbled upon Gina's Skinny Recipes - (google it). I made the cilantro-lime soup the other day and it was a big hit with my teens - yes, soup! I simply did not put the chicken, corn, or black beans in the soup and just warmed them up in side bowls. The kids liked adding their own toppings to the soup. In fact, after two weeks, my kids have already mentioned they'd definitely do "such and such" recipe again. My son doesn't need to lose weight, but he is very health conscious. My daughter has recently begun MFP primarily for the food diary and she's lost 2 pounds in a week. I'm also making better choices when I go to the grocery store. THAT has been huge for me! The way I see it, yes, I'm on a purposeful diet at the moment, but I'm also looking towards healthier choices and portions for a lifetime for all of us.
    The very best of luck to you and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Rhonda665
    Rhonda665 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am struggling with the same thing! I have a husband and 4 teenagers at home who are also "meat and potatoes". I am new here but have been dealing with this for a long time. What I have been doing is while I am cooking, I will have a filling snack like an egg or cottage cheese. Then when we all sit down to dinner, I am not as hungry and will only eat a small amount of what they are eating. Sometimes I eat a lean cuisine or something, and not eat our regular dinner but still sit at the table with the family (which is important to me). I have also found that if I make a healthy meal, and they are hungry, they'll eat it - or they have to fix something on thier own - which they end up not doing. A year ago, I replaced our regular pasta with whole wheat pasta and they can't tell the difference (I buy Gia Russa). The only thing I can't sneak by them is tofu. If you find a way to make this work, please share!

PS My kids are starting to really like the healthy foods I am making! You can add me as a friend if you want!
  • margielewis
    Options
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments!
  • Debbie208
    Debbie208 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What is SW 225? A crock pot works great if you don't want to prepare meat and potatoes when you get home. Put in on in the morning and 'voila' - all ready when you get home from work. The other option is to use your oven timer. I find it is the prep time that usually does me in.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    SW 225 means starting weight of 225