extra calories while breastfeeding

les311
les311 Posts: 3 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
How many extra calories do I need while breastfeeding. My calorie intake through mfp is 1450, which I think is too low while exclusivley breastfeeding. Do I need extra calories on top of my exercise calories?

Replies

• 1hotmama2b
    1hotmama2b Posts: 24 Member
    Never go below 1800 calories if breastfeeding. I have read adding about 600 calories a day to your diet as well, but I can't say for sure. 100% Do not go below 1800 cals or you could affect milk supply.
  • When I was breastfeeding my OB told me to eat 500 extra calories per kid (I had twins) Good luck and I hope you enjoy your baby :) Breastfeeding your child is the best thing you can possibly do for them, Congratulations!
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 61 Member
    I've always heard extra 500 calories per kid per day also.
  • It is amazing chance to lose weight.
    When I fed my baby breast milk, My weight was gone very fastly.
    It was about 30 pounds in first 2 months. and the speedy was slower and slower.
    Then,due to my life style undert harsh stressful abused marriage environment, It bacame wrong.
    But, anyway, breastfeeding is really good present to our kids.
    My girl has good immune system and healthy digestion system still.
    Oh, If God allow me to have a baby in my life, I wish give the baby my breas milk again.

Good luck.
  • Maurey
    Maurey Posts: 44
    yes you do need the extra calories so your body can get all of the extra nutrients it needs and so your milk supply doesn't start to diminish. They say you need to add 300 to 500 extra calories per day.
    if you enter breasfeeding in under one of your meals it shows up and will add extra 500 calories to your day for you.
This discussion has been closed.