Question about walking vs. elliptical

Options
So I have been on my weight loss journey for 3 months and have been doing the elliptical for 20-25 mins with good results. Once it got nice out side, I would go walking for about 30 mins. According to MFP, I would burn about 530 calories on the elliptical and walking about 420 or less. Recently on days that it is raining, I use my elliptical, so the next morning when I weigh myself ( I admit I am an everyday weigher) I would lose nothing :sad: but on the days that I walk, the next morning I lose.:happy: Could it be that my body is use to the elliptical, even though it has a higher calorie burn then walking?? Thank for any advice.

Replies

• khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It could be that your body is getting used to the elliptical, so you could try something different or step up the pace. When I do my elliptical, I burn a little over 10 calories a minute, but walking FAST for me only burns 5, so I usually aim for the elliptical. I wouldn't put too much stock in the weight after exercise (especially if you're weighing in every day), as your weight can fluctuate so much from hour to hour..... Do a variety of exercises, and also try doing the elliptical backwards....
  • eg872904
    eg872904 Posts: 11
    Options
    I really just think it's due to the daily fluctuations your body has. That's why they say not to weigh yourself daily. I admit, I will weigh myself often, but the only one that counts for me is the one I do on Saturday morning. There are so many variables - time of day, whether you've eaten or not, water retention, etc. Maybe just pick a day to be your "real" weigh in day and use the others just as a curiosity killer :)
  • CarolineVL
    Options
    I have found that most elyptical machines say you burn more calories than you actually do. I have a heart rate/calorie burn watch - when I walk/run on a treadmill, the calories burned on my watch and on the machine are almost exactly the same. On an elyptical machine, the machine usually says I burn at least 100-200 calories more than the watch says. (I hope that makes sense). Perhaps you aren't burning as many calories on the elyptical as you think you are.

Plus, I agree about not weighing in everyday. Believe me, I want to check my weight everyday. I just try super hard not to get on that scale. With all the fluctuations, I would go crazy if I checked all the time!! Plus, the longer I wait in between weigh-ins, the bigger the weight loss!
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Depending on the resistance level you have your elliptical set at you might be giving your muscles greater work at comparable heart rate and calorie burn to walking causing them to retain more water the next morning. I know the mornings after strength training I am always 1 to 2 pounds heavier than others.

I find weighing everyday fun and since I am a math junkie seeing the noise actually helps me avoid getting to excited when I throw a high number. Just use the progress graphs and your overall trend to gauge improvement.
  • CanToGirl
    CanToGirl Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    yyzdnl: I do about resistance 8 on the elliptical. So it makes sense retaining water.
    Thank you everyone for your input too. I really appreciate it .:drinker: