Greek Yogurt...

Options
mrsyac2
mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
Yesterday while grocery shopping at Sam's there was a sample counter with greek yogurt. Which was perfect for me since I never had it before and I liked it so of course I bought it. Now I ate it this morning for breakfast I will have to get used to it though but it's a good start. I also bought cottage cheese to try. I am like a 5yr old when it comes to trying new things.

Replies

• hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good on you trying it out, I struggle with it, think I need to experiment to find one that doesn't make me go :sick:
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt! I like Chobani and Fage. I get the plain and put my own fruit and walnuts in it.
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have always eaten yogurt, but just recently tried greek yogurt. LOVE IT!! I buy Choboni and it tastes like I am eating a "naughty" desert.
  • Irishwench
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt.. I prefer Chobani. I think it is great with all the different flavors and the plain can be used for other things. But I have to say I hate cottage cheese I cant stand the taste for some reason. My mom loves cottage cheese but hates Chobani. Just goes to show you how everyone has such different state buds. :)

Good luck with your trying new things, it will get easier I'm sure. :)
  • JanetTheo
    Options
    Greek yogurt: I like to put it in a smoothie or add cinnamon and a touch of organic vanilla. My kids love it. Great for dipping sliced apples! :)
  • sophiessweets
    Options
    So I know you're talking about eating Greek yogurt for breakfast, but here's a way of incorporating it into dessert!

A little experimentation in the kitchen and voila! Jogurt! I eat this every night to satisfy my nagging sweet tooth ;)

To make the base, combine 6 oz. Greek yogurt (like Fage, Dannon, or Chobani), 1 T. sugar free/fat free Jell-O (dry, in powder form) and 1 packet of sweetener (I like Splenda). Next, add any toppings that you like! Here are some of my favorite combinations:

base (using SF/FF chocolate Jell-O) + 1 T. PB2+ 4 T FF Reddi-Whip
    Stats: Cals: 148, Carbs: 18, Fat: 1, Protein: 18, Sugar: 10, Calcium: 21

base (using SF/FF butterscotch Jell-O) + 1/2 C cubed apple + 1 T. Walden Farm's caramel dip
    Stats: Cals: 158, Carbs: 24, Fat: 0, Protein: 15, Sugar: 15, Calcium: 20

base (using SF/FF cheesecake Jell-O) + 1/2 C mixed berries + 1 T. slivered almonds + 4 T FF Reddi-Whip
    Stats: Cals: 205, Carbs: 26, Fat: 4, Protein: 18, Sugar: 16, Calcium: 21
  • mitchet
    mitchet Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i have tried and tried to eat it plain and just cannot. but my doctor insists that i have it everyday (yeast issues....) so i started putting it in my shakes each day and i LOVE it that way. I usually use the 1 serving Oikos containers in my shakes. Chobani is on sale this week so i will be getting that instead.
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I freaking love Chobani, I have one every day and it feels like such a treat. Delicious. The Pomegranate and the blueberry are my faves. 12 pk variety (blueberry,strawberry,peach) at Costco is $10.67.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    I use it tons. Only way I can fit in 200g+ of protein a day haha.

Try Fage 0%. It's not as strong as others. Even the plain is very mild and smooth.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is only drained regular yogurt. You can buy Dannon (or any other brand) nonfat unsweetened yogurt, put it in a coffee filter lined strainer and place it over a bowl. When the consistency is greek yogurt-like, you're there. Take it out of the strainer and store it covered in the fridge. You lose about 1/3-1/2 volume of the original yogurt but it's still much cheaper than buying it from Chobani and you can flavor it any way you choose.
  • dailyorange
    dailyorange Posts: 128
    Options
    Fell in love with greek yogurt last year when I started exercising and eating healthier. At night I like to mix in a tablespoon of Hershey's unsweetened cocoa and add some Stevia and it's so creamy and delicious! I just recently started adding cottage cheese to my diet too. I like to get the low sodium kind and add mashed bananas. I'm always looking forward to these two treats! Yum-O =D
  • tellybelle
    tellybelle Posts: 144
    Options
    So I know you're talking about eating Greek yogurt for breakfast, but here's a way of incorporating it into dessert!

A little experimentation in the kitchen and voila! Jogurt! I eat this every night to satisfy my nagging sweet tooth ;)

To make the base, combine 6 oz. Greek yogurt (like Fage, Dannon, or Chobani), 1 T. sugar free/fat free Jell-O (dry, in powder form) and 1 packet of sweetener (I like Splenda). Next, add any toppings that you like! Here are some of my favorite combinations:

base (using SF/FF chocolate Jell-O) + 1 T. PB2+ 4 T FF Reddi-Whip
    Stats: Cals: 148, Carbs: 18, Fat: 1, Protein: 18, Sugar: 10, Calcium: 21

base (using SF/FF butterscotch Jell-O) + 1/2 C cubed apple + 1 T. Walden Farm's caramel dip
    Stats: Cals: 158, Carbs: 24, Fat: 0, Protein: 15, Sugar: 15, Calcium: 20

base (using SF/FF cheesecake Jell-O) + 1/2 C mixed berries + 1 T. slivered almonds + 4 T FF Reddi-Whip
    Stats: Cals: 205, Carbs: 26, Fat: 4, Protein: 18, Sugar: 16, Calcium: 21

I love these ideas!

I use fage 0% and love it. I add a little sugar free strawberry preserves (10 cal per TBS), a little splenda, and 1/2 Tbs of sugar free chocolate syrup! YUMMY and only ends up to be 100 calories!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Zoi plain is the bomb. I'm not a big fan of unsweetened but I can eat that w/out any thing extra. For a treat I throw in a few dried dates, walnuts, Chinese five spice, cinnamon and 1 pkt of stevia in the raw or another stevia only product and omg, makes you think of a creamy version of baklava but not overly sweet like actual baklava.
  • Corivk
    Corivk Posts: 5
    Options
    The only kind that I have found that I like is the Yoplait Greek Yogurt....either the vanilla honey or key lime. There's something about the consistency of the rest of them. I just switched to Greek yogurt in the last month and don't think I'll ever go back!!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I finally tried some last month after reading about how good it was for you in a few threads here. I bought the plain stuff (Chobani) and mixed in a lot of fruit. Didn't care for it that much, and couldn't finish it once the fruit was gone. A couple of weeks later, I tried some of the flavored ones, and that wasn't too bad.

I have found that when I mix in some of the Kashi Go Lean cereal (the 13g of protein twigs, fiber, etc variety) with the yogurt, it goes down a little better. So I'm mixing 1 cup of cereal in with the yogurt as I eat it. Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm needing to add calories most days, and the Greek yogurt/Kashi combo will give me 300+ calories, and over 25 grams of protein. Good combo for me. With the few flavors I have tried, the Mango is definitely my favorite.
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    bump
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I finally tried some last month after reading about how good it was for you in a few threads here. I bought the plain stuff (Chobani) and mixed in a lot of fruit. Didn't care for it that much, and couldn't finish it once the fruit was gone. A couple of weeks later, I tried some of the flavored ones, and that wasn't too bad.

I have found that when I mix in some of the Kashi Go Lean cereal (the 13g of protein twigs, fiber, etc variety) with the yogurt, it goes down a little better. So I'm mixing 1 cup of cereal in with the yogurt as I eat it. Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm needing to add calories most days, and the Greek yogurt/Kashi combo will give me 300+ calories, and over 25 grams of protein. Good combo for me. With the few flavors I have tried, the Mango is definitely my favorite.

I also do the same. I tried (and choked my way through) Chobani Honey and was about to give up on eating them period! Once I mixed in 1/2 cup of Kashi Honey Almond Flax, it transformed the yogurt for me - now I can eat it completely without feeling like I'm going to gag!

Either way I'm going to have to get used to it - Greek yogurt is SUCH an excellent protein source!
  • nomex
    nomex Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I freaking love Chobani, I have one every day and it feels like such a treat. Delicious. The Pomegranate and the blueberry are my faves. 12 pk variety (blueberry,strawberry,peach) at Costco is $10.67.

Wha section do you find this in at Costco???
    I have found Liberte Greek yougurt at Costco in the yogurt refrigerator section.... I have been looking for some other options!
    I have found some PC brand with fruit in the bottom at extra foods...,. Thats it! I hear about Chobani on here all the time, and have NEVER been able to find it in the stores? Where are you all shopping folks? I live in rural Canada!