Tips for NOT overeating

Options
So my only problem is when I finish eating my meal, I have this devil inside me that just wants to eat MORE... and before you know it I have consumed a few hundred calories I didnt need to. I know a lot of people can relate to this...so what do YOU do that you find helps not overeating? Basically it just comes to will-power I guess, why can I not find that in me? :sad:

Replies

• T0M0
    T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Drink a pint of wather straight after you eat. It helps fill you up some more and then your busy doing other things and forget about eating.

I can relate to this though, i'm not hungry until after i've ate if that makes sense........
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water before, during and after has helped me.
  • thebamboophoenix
    thebamboophoenix Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You need to give your brain time to figure out that you're full - then it can tell that devil to shut up!! Best thing I've found, is to have a BIG glass of water and do something to distract yourself for about 20 mins. If that doesn't shake it, then I'll have another drink but a tasty one, maybe a low cal hot choc or something and usually that satisfies me. You'll find something that will work for you :o)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I chew gum! Seems to give my mouth somthing to do and takes my greed away... :laugh:

I'm now addicted to gum tho!! :tongue:

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • bevpulse
    bevpulse Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That's the beauty of tracking calories on MFP. I normally try to plan ahead and enter how much I can eat of each item. Then when I've eaten it, I know I'm done. It's a psychological stop.
  • ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else, having a big bottle of water next to me as I eat so I'm constantly taking big gulps to fill my stomach up more. Before I eat I drink at least a cup of water, and after I will try to do the same. You'll be surprised at how full your stomach feels after so you'll have no desire to stuff it more
  • Irish_Norwegian
    Options
    I put one portion/serving of whatever I'm going to eat in a bowl or on a plate and I put the package back in the cupboard, the dish back in the fridge, etc. I find if I take my serving and leave the open container on the counter, I'm much more likely to take more when I go back into the kitchen to put my plate away. A lot of times I think I'm still hungry when I'm done with my meal, but if I wait about 15 minutes, the feeling passes. Another thing that helps is to go brush your teeth as soon as you're finished eating or chew a piece of gum. :-) Hope this helps a little!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I usually wait about 20 minutes to figure out whether my body is really hungry. I also bargain with myself that I can have "plain" vegetables if I'm still hungry. If I am, well, then I figure that I am truly hungry and not going through an emotional thing. This works most of the time.

If the craving is for something sweet, then I do sometimes allow indulgences after 20 minutes. But then try to increase the exercise calories either that day, or the next.

Drinking water is probably a good idea -- I am struggling with this, but working on it.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    that's exactly what i do not to over snack. Take my portion, put it on the plate, and put the snack away before i eat it. Can't leave it sitting on the counter. Too easy to go get another portion.
  • Stormrain
    Options
    I have the same problem, its like im trying to sabbotage myself, its incredibly fustrating. I have had some adivce offered thats good, its just a matter of remembering to do it. such as sprinkle sugar over your meal when you feel full! Keep a postit in your wallet, on your fridge, in the press anywhere you go for food that asks you do you WANT foor or do you NEED food. the idea is if if you identify it as a want it should be easier to over-ride the urge with will power. You could (I got this from a popular stop smoking guide) think of your overweight self as a little monster that lives inside you trying to keep you fat, and everytime you say no to extra calories you are shrinking the monster bit by bit until it just dissapears when you reach your goal, but I find the best thing lately is to keep the food section on my fitnesspal open while im eating, (on my iphone) I put the calories I intend to eat in before my meal and if I go over I ammend it before I leave the tabel, its a little more sobering when you see what you have eaten represented in numbers. hope it helps.
  • bethanyweathers
    bethanyweathers Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If I'm out eating, I order what I want, but then once it comes I immediately ask for a box and put half of it in there. That way I can still eat everything on my plate, but it's half of what was normally there. And I still end up full in the end.

I have the same problem though with overeating, so I feel your pain. There are days when I think, "screw it, I'm going to eat everything," and I do.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If I want more, I ask myself, "Will this extra help me or hurt me in my goal." The hurt me usually wins and I either don't go get it or I put it back. It's all will power though. Gotta find that within you.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow eater for that very reason! I used to wolf down my food, then be like STILL HUNGRY. I'd eat and extra 28586576 calories and feel like I was going to vomit because I didn't give my food enough time to settle. Now I eat so. slowly. And drink 16oz of h2o after every meal!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I always tell myself that my stomach SHOULD be the size of my fist, and that helps me slow down, haha.
  • Vegasboricua702
    Options
    Drink an entire glass of water before eating your more. You will feel fuller when your done.