Arms while Running in the Heat

Options
I live in Arkansas so we have already had a few 85 degree days this month. I started running last summer & my arms would always start to feel swollen during my runs. I looked like an idiot, but I would raise them over my head for a few seconds & "shake it out" and I would be fine for another 5-7 minutes. Then, I thought it was because my body wasn't used to the blood flowing like that. It stopped happening as weather got colder and I just thought my body was getting used to it. However, it started again this month when it got warmer. It is like if the temp is over 70 degrees, my arms and hands swell up & I have to shake them to make it bearable for a few minutes. I know it's not poor cardio now because I have gotten in good shape over the past year. Any suggestions? Is it just something I have to deal with in the heat?

Replies

• ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I get very swollen with activity and heat as well. I know what you mean about having to hold them above your head and shake them out! The only relief I've found is to be REALLY hydrated and try to keep your hands as elevated as you can - holding them up in front of your chest, etc - anything to keep them from swinging below waist level if you can. Other than that, I think it's just a circulation problem that you can't really do much about. When you are working your body that way, it is working harder to get blood to the major muscles that are working the hardest: your legs, brain, heart, and lungs, so it just kind of forgets about the rest of your body.
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    You know I have had the same thing happen while out on my brisk walks with the kids. Usually it is only my hands that feel like they are huge and tight. I wonder why as well. My friend says the same thing when we walk together. I am interested if anyone knows the answer to this issue.
  • jjjube
    jjjube Posts: 6
    Options
    That sounds a little like your lymphatic system is not working too well as I'm pretty sure it is that system which pumps fluid from the arms, feet etc around the body to stop the oedema you mention. Sounds like you need gravity to get it to flow back to where it is needed. Have you ever had an axilliary clearance or mastectomy? That can affect fluid return. I'm not really sure, but it is just a suggestion. Good luck with it all and excellent you've been running :smile:
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    its probably because of salt/dehydration... drink lots of fluids, drink while ure exercising too!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I know what you're talking about, my husband refers to it as sausage hands or arms. I live in Arizona and I too notice that as the temperatures rise my lower arms, hands and feet tend to swell where in the winter months they don't. I have found that drinking a little more water before and or during the run helps quite a bit, as a matter of fact I drink a large glass of water first thing in the morning in the summer just to help with this issue.

Also I find it doesn't happen as bad if I keep my hands straight or slightly relaxed instead of in fists and if I keep my hands turned slightly upward instead of hanging toward the ground......I can't think of a better way to describe this except that I keep Barbie hands while running :laugh:

The more heat and humidity the more water you need and as a final note if you take any medications you may want to make sure the swelling isn't caused by any of them but swelling in the heat is common.

:drinker:
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    its probably because of salt/dehydration... drink lots of fluids, drink while ure exercising too!

Exactly. This is an issue with dehydration. You notice it in warm weather because you sweat more.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    :laugh: I know what you're talking about, my husband refers to it as sausage hands or arms. I live in Arizona and I too notice that as the temperatures rise my lower arms, hands and feet tend to swell where in the winter months they don't. I have found that drinking a little more water before and or during the run helps quite a bit, as a matter of fact I drink a large glass of water first thing in the morning in the summer just to help with this issue.

Also I find it doesn't happen as bad if I keep my hands straight or slightly relaxed instead of in fists and if I keep my hands turned slightly upward instead of hanging toward the ground......I can't think of a better way to describe this except that I keep Barbie hands while running :laugh:

The more heat and humidity the more water you need and as a final note if you take any medications you may want to make sure the swelling isn't caused by any of them but swelling in the heat is common.

:drinker:

Barbie hands...love it! lol!

Thanks everyone! I will try drinking more water & see if this helps!
  • dross327
    dross327 Posts: 7
    Options
    Try hydrating the night before you run. Any time this happens to me in the summer, it's usually because I'm dehydrated.