The saboteur within

Options
WolffEarl
WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
I sometimes wonder how many of us, regardless of our good intentions, some how or other are our own saboteurs. How often do we go to the store, buy some awesome vegetables, delightful fruit, some lean chicken breast, whole grain breads just to turn around and say: Well, let me get those pizza pops for the kids or the ice cream for them or the heavy duty cheese for the husband/wife (b/c he/she loves it) or the chocolate treats just in case friends come over. After all we cannot serve them something actually healthy can we now.
And then, as the kids go of to school/bed or the cravings start we suddenly find ourselves hunting for the very foods we bought, not for us, but the kids, spouse, friends, etc. My sweetie has no idea how often I would plunder some of her chocolate stash (she likes chocolate) that I had specifically bought for her. (being sneaky, I just grabbed enough so as not to be too obvious, piles of chocalate almonds are good that way, plus practically a health food right, having almonds and all:)) This is like displaying drugs in the house of a recovering addict. So next time you notice yourself grabbing all those "not so healthy" food choices in your house, ask yourself: How the heck did they get into my house? Did a nasty anti-weightloss magic fairy drop them off or did you by chance sabotage yourself.
And yes, us parents are allowed to feed our kiddos the healthy stuff, no need to feel apologetic about it. They might just thank us later, much much later:)
(Now that I got that off my chest, time to see if any of that ice cream I bought for my daughter is still hiding in the freezer:))
Be well.

Replies

• ariasbano
    ariasbano Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    "Ask yourself: How the heck did they get into my house? Did a nasty anti-weightloss magic fairy drop them off or did you by chance sabotage yourself. " YES- I try not to buy any of those foods!

And yes, us parents are allowed to feed our kiddos the healthy stuff, no need to feel apologetic about it. They might just thank us later, much much later:) Yes, we have to teach the kiddos better eating habits!
  • julie4760
    julie4760 Posts: 125
    Options
    know that feeling so well lol
  • loseatonlady
    Options
    Great thoughts! It all comes down to be honest with ourselves! Thanks for sharing!
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    guilty as charged. my other half likes to take a packet of crisps (chips) to work so we buy a multi pack as it is more cost effiecient but i often snaffle a bag, also i buy desserts in because he likes them after dinner guess who often ends up joining him, although i said no twice this week, so its a start lol
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I've been good on the food front, but I have a saboteur in my school work. You don't need to work on that paper right now, you have time, so what if there's only two weeks left? You can play that game now, it's more fun anyway.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I love it! Awesome post.

We all know we do it. Admitting it is the first step to fixing anything.
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I try to make sure the things I do buy for the kids are things I don't love. I mean I like chips ahoy cookies but don't love them so it wouldn't be my first choice. I buy myself Jello Sugar free /fat free snacks..60 calories. They satisfy my cravings.

I just don't buy the rest of the stuff....

PLUS, I aski myself, "Is it worth it?" sometimes it is (at the moment) others it isnt. I grab a handful of almonds and keep it moving.

Good luck!! You can do this...don't let the sabateur get the best of you.
  • nicakk01
    nicakk01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well I do say, that couldn't be more true here in our home. That nasty anti-weightloss fairy shows up here all the time, cannot figure out how to get her to stop and make her feel unwelcome. :smile:
  • Mush_L
    Mush_L Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am literally only days into my overwhelming journey, and this is one of the very first few posts I have read on these boards.

A VERY well written post.
    Thank you for this.
    Thank you for your honesty.

I had a real 'A-ha' moment reading this, and it couldn't have come at a better time when the stores are packed full of Easter treats, and OF COURSE I have to buy some for the KIDS. Riiiiiight.

Now excuse me as I go find a way to dispose of the Costco-sized Twizzler box in my pantry :p

God Bless!
  • nikki8marie
    nikki8marie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how the sabotaging goes, although I don't live with anyone. Recently I bought some ice cream because I love it and I don't get it often. When it was there all I wanted was ice cream. I had to really struggle to have only one serving a day.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    LOVE it! I am good at not buying a lot of that stuff, what I am guilt of is is the pizza's.. I do buy those, however, when I serve them up to my kiddos it comes with a nice spinach salad, fresh raw peppers and usually some other raw veg.. Here is how it came to bite me.. Yesterday, I was in an awful mood and tired for most of the day.. What do you think I had yesterday?? junk, pizza, and those chocolate graham crackers oh and I snacked on the baked fishie crackers.. I was not in top form yesterday food or mood wise..

I do think you are right, at times, we do set ourselves up to stumble.. part of the journey, part of the learning..part of the recovery of our bad habits/lifestyle choices.. Perseverance

This is a GREAT post! Thank you for posting..

How many have partners that sabotage their efforts.. Mine is getting much better but he still brings stuff home.. thankfully, I have been in a place of not wanting to eat that stuff.. But on the wrong day, wrong time, wrong moment.. I may just reach for some of the things that I "use to use" as comfort... Glad I have my pals, and this communtiy.