Weight loss plateau help!

Options
My weight loss plateau has started becoming a discouragement to me, and so I have decided to reach out for help. Since I began my weight loss journey in January (prior to MFP) I have lost 16 pounds. However, about three weeks ago my weight loss stalled. I have maintained a 1200 calorie diet, with 30-60 minutes of exercise six days a week. This plan worked great before, but obviously isn't cutting it now. I already tried changing up my workout routine and upping the intensity, neither of which was successful. I thought about seeing a doctor to get more information/suggestions, but would prefer not to spend the money on a visit! I would love to find something that will help me through this! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• lclark1970
    lclark1970 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I one take day where I just eat no more than six apples and drink water. That kicks me back into losing.
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    my husband has had a lot of success and he does the whole 6 small meals a day thing. With his workout, he does interval training where he does the treadmill for so many minutes and then jumps off and does lunges, squats, push ups, etc...he swears by it. I think it's what I'm going to try.
  • KaseyWB
    KaseyWB Posts: 15
    Options
    Someone on this site posted some very profound advise " too much exercise and not enough food = plateau" Are you going below 1200 net calories a day. If you are only eating 1200 a day and exercising 30-60 minutes a day you may not be eating enough to fuel your weight loss. initially I did not eat my exercise calories back but then my weight loss stalled. Remember if you do not eat enough your body will break down your own muscle to fuel itself and you want to lose fat not muscle.
  • kr2008
    kr2008 Posts: 11
    Options
    i agree with the apples and water idea. Another idea for you is to take it easy meats for a day or two. even if you are under your Calories allowed the fats coming off the meat can accumulate in your body and cause you to gain the weight that your trying to lose. i know that happened to me and i got meat completely out for two days and i went back to losing weight again

111593.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    I am actually an impatient person when it comes to this stuff. I too started here in January and saw a steady decrease in weight until last weeks weigh in it went up a little but had been down earlier in the week. (I weigh everyday but only record once a week) I started getting higher little by little for probably 3 days (here's where my impatience comes in) I know people would say wait and see I was about 90 % sure it had nothing to do with TOM I am very regular. I was only eating 1240 calories to lose 1 lb a week (but was actually averaging about 1 1/2lbs per week) per MFP and exercising regularly I did notice I was tired and hungry a lot of time so I would exercise more and eat most all my exercise calories too. Well after only 3 days I decided to change my goal to 1/2 lb per week this allows me 1400 calories I still exercise regularly (I changed it just Thurs I think:wink:) but have seen a lower number on the scale today then I have seen in years. My weigh in (record) day is Monday but I didn't record last week because of the slight gain since I changed my goals the scale has gone down 3lbs so I hope to record a nice loss on Monday this week.:smile: So upping my calories has worked for me so far hope it continues I really only have about 15 lbs or so to go.
    The long version of what Kasey WB said " too much exercise and not enough food = plateau"
  • freehorses92
    freehorses92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm at a plateau too. In February I had a 2 week plateau and I don't know what I did that jump started the weight loss again. About a month later I hit it again and I haven't been able to get off it :( There was even a point where I had gained 5 lbs though I think it was coz I drank a bunch of water earlier that week when I didn't need it. I only eat 1200 calories a day and I've been on that diet since November before Thanksgiving. I don't have time to exercise so I know I'm not eating too few calories.. Though I was able to lose a single lb this past week when I spiked up my caloric intake to 1800 one day. It felt really weird forcing myself to eat much much more than I'm used to. I gained that lb back though :/ So I'm thinking,based on what I've seen on the net, that I'm gonna raise my intake to 1500 or so for a week then see how that goes and if My loss starts again, I'll go back down to my diet
  • nicolebenke
    nicolebenke Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It's encouraging to hear that I'm not the only one experiencing a plateau. I've only lost six pounds so far and this is my second time on a two or more week plateau. I too find it very frustrating, especially when I know I'm doing all I can to make it happen. I don't think there is a single correct answer for anyone. Everyone's body is different, and will react differently. I definitely don't think I'm in starvation mode, or anywhere close... so I'm going to keep at it and hope for the best. Let us know how it goes for you.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Up your calories. I know it sound insane but it will help you.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Starving yourself will not help you lose weight. It will help you lose muscle. I eat every 2-3 hours with 3 meals and the rest snacks.
    Eat lots of fresh vegetables, lean protein and fresh fruits. Stay away from processed foods.