Doctor's Advice or BMI? % Body Fat?

Options
Hey guys,

I set my goal weight as the highest weight I should be according to my BMI index (130 for someone who is 5' 1"). However, my doctor told me a few months ago that I should shoot for 150. Which one should I shoot for? I'd LIKE to be 130 but I don't want to get too skinny...

Also, I've taken body fat tests and most of them tell me I have 33% fat but the navy calculator says I'm 46% BODY FAT!! I really don't feel like that's right, because I don't look that fat! Which one is right??

Replies

• vgarg219
    vgarg219 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    From what I have learned through med school, the BMI indices are not as accurate for short (not trying to call you short lol) women. So I would say you lose enough weight to make you happy and healthy. Anywhere between 130 and 150 is perfectly fine.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I notice too that the military standard of measurments says i'm in the 40's too! Although I'm about 34% right now on everything else I've looked at. I think you should set 150 as a mini goal for yourself and see how you feel/how you look at yourself/what you see... and re-evaluate! There's nothing wrong with changing your goals. :) I agree, too skinny is not good! There's more to this than just being skinny. It should be about getting balanced nutrition and good exercise habits so that you can carry on to a healthier life after "Goal" and be able to never go back to the "before"!! :) Best luck!
  • ManX_84
    ManX_84 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm a bit stubborn, so I'd go for my own goal overall. Just keep it in perspective. 5 pounds a month is VERY realistic, so perhaps (as i saw in your mini-goals) monthly goals are the way to go. I prefer 2 week stretches myself. That way I know if I need to change anything as I go. The best advice I can give is even if you have an off day or week, don't give up. Weight loss tends to be a fickle thing and can be disheartening, especially when you aren't seeing the numbers you want. Stay focused on how you feel, along with the numbers and how you look.

What I do is think "If I work out today, I'm one day closer to what I want. But If I don't, then I'm one day farther away." That actually goes for eating as well. Just strive to be better each day, and make the goal be in the now... 'do what i need to do today!' Because realistically, that's all we have anyways! Hope this helps...
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I notice too that the military standard of measurments says i'm in the 40's too! Although I'm about 34% right now on everything else I've looked at. I think you should set 150 as a mini goal for yourself and see how you feel/how you look at yourself/what you see... and re-evaluate! There's nothing wrong with changing your goals. :) I agree, too skinny is not good! There's more to this than just being skinny. It should be about getting balanced nutrition and good exercise habits so that you can carry on to a healthier life after "Goal" and be able to never go back to the "before"!! :) Best luck!

Thanks all, I decided to take this advice (see signature). I'll keep the 130 as a "Goal 2" but if I don't need to go that far, I won't :) Appreciate the feedback!
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    My doctor gave me a chart that gives a range of 106-140 for a 5'1" woman. If you're small-boned, you should aim for 106-118. If you're medium-boned, you should aim for 115-129. If you're large-boned, you should aim for 125-140.

If I were you, I'd set an initial goal of 140 and then re-evaluate when you reach it.