I really need assistance please...

Options
okay i am weighing in at 198 and would like to be 120. I am doing different dieting but my physician told me to burn more calories then i am eating...which is kind of hard and when i read everything it appears that it is not okay to do its starvation...could you guys give me some examples of what to eat through out the day and what i should do at the gym when i go? any help is appreciated!! im just struggling and couild use some assistance!! please feel free to add me as a friend i need the motivation!!

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gym person, so I can't really help you there. As far as what to eat, it depends on what you mean by "different dieting". To almost anyone, I'd recommend lot of raw or steamed veggies, some fruits, and plenty of lean protein (chicken, tuna, etc.) In addition to the vitamins and minerals, the veggies have fiber which will help to keep you feeling full longer and are also low in calories so you can eat a lot of them. I've found that by adding a lot more to my diet, I usually have days where I have to eat a treat after dinner just to get in enough calories for the day. :)
  • cupfanncbms
    cupfanncbms Posts: 101
    Options
    I'd recommend going to the Jillian Michaels site and doing her free analysis. I did that, and the guideline is better. I also got 30 free days on her site, but I don't really use that one-it's much more difficult to navigate than this site. :) However, reading all the articles that only members have access to is awesome! Just read fast and then cancel. lol

Anyway-on there, Jillian says to eat your calories recommended, and then burn off as much as possible. It is that burn that creates your caloric deficit and gives you weight loss. Her numbers are also a smidgen higher than the ones on MFP.

I started (again) on MFP about five weeks ago at your current weight, and I'm down 12 pounds so far, so between the two, I'm doing pretty well, I guess...but I don't do so well when I just break even by eating all my work out calories-that seems counterproductive to me. *shrug*

I wish you success!
  • JessJoJell
    Options
    ok first thing you can do is drink lots of water.. you would be amazed at how it will help your weight loss. Stick with cardio at the gym at first it will get your metabolism jump started. I try to do 45 to an hour a day. (and I should say that my "gym" is in my basement with dvds and a few hand weights, you dont need to spend a ton of money) And try to stick with about 1200 calories and you will lose weight. Even if it is like a pound or two a week you will see it and feel it. Good luck!! feel free to add me were all in the same boat!!
  • keegrsmom
    keegrsmom Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm not an expert but it sounds like your doc isn't giving you much feedback, so here is my advice. First, drink lots of water. It's important. Eat low fat low cal foods (there are so many options) and focus on whole grains. Lean meats like turkey and chicken are your best choices. As far as the gym goes, I'd start with 30 mins a day 5x/ week of cardio. I like elliptical or treadmill the best but whatever you prefer. Add some strength training after you get used to the cardio. Most gyms also offer classes like Zumba or Spin for added variety. Most importantly stick to a plan. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle. You will have off days and that's fine! Just keep at it. You will love the rewards. Good luck!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    You need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. Doing so does not put you in starvation mode, not eating exercise calories back or eating below 1200 does. Example: to maintain my weight now (205) I would have to eat 2,400 calories a day. To lose 1.5 pounds a week, I will need to consume 1200 calories. If I burn 300 calories during exercise, I need to eat 1500 calories. Make sense? Hope it helps! Good luck!
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    Definitely cardio (Treadmill - jogging, walking fast on an incline or Eliptical for example) to blast the fat! Strength machines too! I'm seeing what you are about the calories.But I'd like to say take advice from your doctor.....
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What works for one person won't necessarily work for another but here's what works for me. MFP creates a calorie deficit for you. I am suppose to eat 1200 cals a day to try to lose about a pound a week. If I exercise, I add those calories back in. this really gives me motivation to exercise because I like to eat. I usually exercise first thing in the morning because as a mom of 4 with a full time job it is the only time I can. It was hard at first but now I actually wake up before my alarm at 4:55 and fall asleep very easily at night! Another benefit to exercising first thing is I know how many calories I have for the day. I try to eat healthy fresh foods, lean meat, fruits, veggies and low cal dairy. My food diary is public and you are welcome to look at it. Best of luck on your journey!!
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    If you are not used to exercising, start by walking on the treadmill -briskly, increase the incline progressively. I'd use the eliptical too, it has much less impact on the joints and you involve the arms (keep them strong, not soft, and help with the move). Then you'll b e working arms and legs and get a higher calorie burn.

These are cardio exercises that will boost the burn if you eat healthy. By healthy I mean mainly veggies, fruits, beans/rice and proteins in the right serving-portion. If you eat lots of "non-fat"-"sugar-free" processed foods may not help as much.

Cardio and good foods will help a lot in burning the fat in your midsection. At some point, sooner than later, introduce strength training, That will help you tone muscles and keep your body strong.
    Always listen to your body, and do not push it too much, you don't want to hurt yourself... and form in all types of activities is very very important.

Physical activity will make you feel better too, so do not get discouraged if you don't get inmediate results.
    There are many personal trainers around here in the site, they will be helping you out with this more, than I can.

Good luck!
    smiles and sunshine.
  • cowpoke06
    cowpoke06 Posts: 171
    Options
    Your doctor is right. The reason people gain weight (myself included, we have similar goals) is by consuming more calories (energy) than the body needs to function. When you eat more energy than your body burns, your body stores that energy by turning it into fat which then just hangs out on your body until you need it (a time when you eat less energy than your body burns). If you do this right, you are not starving yourself. The whole premise that MFP operates on is that noone should eat less than 1200 calories a day and that's the general consensus in the medical community. You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day to not starve yourself. Now that could change depending on what your doctor says. My mother is very obese and her doctor said that she needs to go on a 1000 calorie a day diet-whether or not he's right...I don't know. I don't told her she shouldn't go below 1200...but I'm also not a doctor.

You HAVE to burn more calories than you consume in order to lose weight. You need to force your body to use all the energy it stored in the form of fat when you ate more energy than you needed to - and the only way to do that is to use more energy than you eat. 3500 calories equals 1 pound. To lose one pound you have to burn 3500 more calories than you take in. DO NOT DO THIS BY NOT EATING. You accomplish this by eating a healthy diet, eating at least 1200 calories a day and EXERCISING. Exercise is the key. Working out burns calories so that you can still use more calories than you consume without starving yourself. You then create a healthy calorie deficit. You could try asking your doctor for a sample meal plan and exercise plan to give you a starting point...plus there's tons of people on here who can give you tips :)

This is hard. It does mean that you'll probably feel hungry because you're so used to overeating. Just because you're hungry doesn't mean your starving as long as you make sure you're eating enough in a healthy range.
  • FrancesGallagher
    FrancesGallagher Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is stop thinking about all the pounds you want to lose. Take your usual three meals a day and get them recorded on your food diary, that way you are going to know what you are dealing with. Now use substitue foods if what you have been eating in too calorie laden. Even at 1200 calories you can eat three meals a day and have a snack or two but you will have to make choices. I think if you do this you will find the weight will start to drop just don't expect to do it overnight because that isn't healthy. Think healthy on all things, that is the way to go for real success. Good luck.
    Frances