Playing Golf and Calories

Options
OK, so on MFP it shows a listing for calories burned while playing golf so I thought I would break out my HRM while a played a few rounds. I played 3 days in a row and sure enough, after roughly 4 hours of play I averaged about 1100 calories burned. I would check my monitor and it would show my heart stayed slightly elevated from all the walking. The extra walking is mostly because I am looking for my ball in the trees somewhere. I use the golf cart to get around instead of walking the 18 holes (too hard to carry beer and clubs at the same time so this is easier).
I guess my question is, has anyone else tested this? To me it seems like a lot of calories, but I will gladly accept it if its true.

Replies

• missdana2011
    Options
    Ive seen a few people with 1500 calorie burns from playing golf. Ive been questioning this I guess because I dont find golf that strenuous...but if you tested on your HRM it must be correct..surprising, but correct. Lol. Too bad I hate golf :(
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I think that's a realistic number. You played for 4 hours, which is 275 calories per hour...sounds realistic to me if you're continuously walking around.
  • dcberg00
    dcberg00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am going to test it out on Tuesday!! But, its nice to see that the cal burn here is pretty accurate. I, too, spend most my walking time searching.... (guess it's good for my fitness, just not my game!)
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Ive seen a few people with 1500 calorie burns from playing golf. Ive been questioning this I guess because I dont find golf that strenuous...but if you tested on your HRM it must be correct..surprising, but correct. Lol. Too bad I hate golf :(
    I did a search and found a posting from a few months back where someone asked nearly the same question, and the answers seem to be I need to back out / deduct some of the calories burned as if I had not played golf, which makes sense. the equation given was 1.5* x the minutes of exercise and deduct that. I guess we burn 1.5 cals a minute?? But arent we all different? Have to research more. Anyway, so if I played for 4 hours, thats 1.5 x 240 minutes = 360 ....... so I would take what my HRM showed (1100) and deduct 360 which would leave me with 740 calories burned to put into MFP...... damn! but it makes sense. I guess we are supposed to do this with all exercise we do? take what our HRMs show and deduct it? really>?? bummer!
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I am laughing so hard at this

"The extra walking is mostly because I am looking for my ball in the trees somewhere. I use the golf cart to get around instead of walking the 18 holes (too hard to carry beer and clubs at the same time so this is easier). "

Good going with all the calories burned, but this post has me in tears laughing!! :laugh:
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options

"The extra walking is mostly because I am looking for my ball in the trees somewhere. I use the golf cart to get around instead of walking the 18 holes (too hard to carry beer and clubs at the same time so this is easier). "

Good going with all the calories burned, but this post has me in tears laughing!! :laugh:
    well I am just being honest. I love losing weight and getting healthier but when I play golf, I am going to have a beer in my hand at some point. It will just take me longer to lose those pounds! :-)
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I found a study online. 2 hr golf (9holes) 411 calories.

So 18 would be 822. Don't forget warming up would give a calorie burn increase.
  • chelios7
    chelios7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is very accurate. Figure your average course is around 6000-6500 yards and that doesn't figure in the walking off the fairway to find your ball. So, you are walking at least 3.5 miles and carrying around 25-30 lbs worth of clubs and balls. Pretty easy to burn 250 calories an hour.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options

well I am just being honest. I love losing weight and getting healthier but when I play golf, I am going to have a beer in my hand at some point. It will just take me longer to lose those pounds! :-)

hey, I understand completely!! You enjoy! :drinker:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I find that the cursing alone burns about 250 calories. :embarassed:
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I find that the cursing alone burns about 250 calories. :embarassed:

hahahahahahah
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I tested it today with a strapped HRM

ok so it was like playing in a bra........ (no jokes Carl)

and was not far out so i am happy to use the numbers that MFP use...

That said I NEVER want to play in a strap HRM again !!!!