How long to give food to settle before walking

Options
So I went for a wee walk earlier, and ate when I came home. have jsut had my dinner (chicken, potatoes, brocolli and peas) and am actually wanting to go for another wee walk, but am wondering if I need to leave it a while to let my food settle????
I remember my mum telling me to sit for half an hr after eating before running off to do anything to let my food settle...

any suggestions? or should I eat after exercising?

Replies

• LadyT02182011
    Options
    Anywhere between 30-90 minutes depending on what you consumed.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For me if I am just walking and I have only eaten until being sated (not gotten overfull) I would go out right away. If your walk doesn't get you out of breath I would say you are fine to just go. If it is a more strenuous walk I would say 30 minutes or so. Going earlier won't hurt you. You just might get a stitch or some indigestion. I wouldn't let a silly rule keep you from moving if you are in the mood to go.

smiles :)
    Ang
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am a very big girl - over 260lbs - and find that most walking gets me out of breath in all fairness - think ill do the washing up, then go walking :)

its a nice evening - sunny and not too breezy
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person.. I can run right after eating as long as I don't over stuff myself. But my workout buddy cannot do anything other than a super slow crawl of a walk until at least an hour after eating anything.
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    You can always go for a walk straight away after eating. Walk for 30 minutes at a slow pace, and then you can walk briskly, for a while longer. It will help with digestion.

My family -parents, grandparents... would always go for 60 minute walk after big meals, and got home feeling much much better. We had big family meals every Sunday...
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If it's just a walk, go right away, I walk for 45 min everyday at work after lunch. If you are going for a run or to the gym you probably want to give yourself 30 minutes or so just so you don't make yourself sick.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I am a very big girl - over 260lbs - and find that most walking gets me out of breath in all fairness - think ill do the washing up, then go walking :)

its a nice evening - sunny and not too breezy

i think thats a great idea and that way you know you don't have them waiting for you to do when you get back. i hope you enjoy the walk
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've actually read that your body digests the food that you've eaten better if you walk almost right after eating. It's one method that will help increase weight loss. With this in mind, when I am at work, I eat my lunch first, and then I go on a walk. I feel better and more capable to continue with work when I do it this way.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i walked for 3 miles at an average of 3.8mph! was a great walk :)
    now i dont know whether to eat my exercise calories back or not because ill be in bed within 2 hrs and i keep reading not to eat within 2 hrs of going to bed (its 9.30pm here in UK)