Tight Calves...help

zenchik115
zenchik115 Posts: 19 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have recently started running again...used to LOVE it...but I am super frustrated. My calves are getting soooo tight on the runs that I cant even finish...sometimes I am limping home. I run in the morning before work and I am getting up a little earlier to make sure I drink two glasses of water and stretch...not helping. I have signed up to do a 2.5 relay run for my friends b-day and I dont even think I will be ready because of this.... Any suggestions on what might help?? I got new shoes...happens with those too... I tried stretching after i warm up...nope...I am not trying to run that far or that fast...just a 12 min mile to get me back into it...

Replies

• zenchik115
    oh and I have been doing a crossfit bootcamp for 2 1/2 weeks to try and get into shape...so I am also working on loosening and stregthening those tight calves...
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    I LOVE this Prostretch thingy I bought at the running store by my house. I get a much deeper stretch in my calves using this & I use it before and after my run/walks.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Systems-PS100-ProStretch/dp/B0006OG44G
  • vyvrhovat
    vyvrhovat Posts: 80 Member
    "Symptoms:
    Tight calf muscles are a common problem for runners. You'll feel a gradual tightening in your calf muscles when running. Sometimes the pain will go away while running, but then comes back after you stop.
    Cause:
    Tight calf muscles are often caused by increasing your mileage too quickly and/or not stretching properly. Sometimes they are also due to a biomechanical problem that can be corrected with the right running shoes or orthotics.
    Treatment:
    One of the best ways to treat tight calf muscles is to see a sports massage therapist or physical therapist for a deep tissue massage. You should also make sure you're stretching your calves (without pain) and strengthening your calf muscles. If you haven't already, go to a running specialty store to make sure you're wearing the right running shoes for your feet. If the pain persists for more than two weeks, make an appointment with a sports doctor.
    Prevention:
    Tight calves are a very common overuse injury, so make sure you're not increasing your mileage or intensity too quickly. You should increase your weekly mileage by no more than 10% each week. Also, make sure that you stretch your calves after every run."

I have super tight calves too. Nothing I did was helping, but actually, deep massage is now my best friend. It's uncomfortable for a second but you feel the results IMMEDIATELY. I also learned that I was totally wearing bad shoes for my foot shape, the arches were all wrong and it was making my feet do crazy stuff while I walked all day. So I went to the REI store here in Austin and talked to the guy in the shoe department, and he helped me find a pair that fit me better, and even told me which insoles would work with my other shoes. Very helpful! My legs are still kind of tight but they dont kill me now, and the relief I get from the combination of massage and pacing myself better is invaluable.
    Hope this helps!
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    I can only tell you what has worked for me...

When my calves use to get super tight what I started doing was stretching before I jogged and then I would do like a warmup jog in place for a few minutes, jumping jacks, just get the blood flowing, and then I would jog for like 3-4 minutes stop and stretch out my legs again for about a minute then contiune to jog...I did this for about a week and my calves no longer get tight
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Potassium? Something Ive heard is that if you don't get enough, it will make your muscles hurt. just throwing this out there, I don't know how accurate it is.
  • Have you tried supplements that are high in potassium? I used to have the same problem that you do. Two things helped: supplements and warm up for 10 min til your calves are warm them stretch them.... my sister who majored in sports therapy taught me that one. good luck
    PS. I also had to get new shoes, I thought the Nike's that I had would be ok and they were fairly new but if you go to a running specialty store they will check your gait with the shoe and whatnot
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    You don't mention stretching after your runs? This is see by some to be more important than the pre-run stretches.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Stretching will not help and is counterproductive - leads to increased injuries. If you must stretch, do it after, not before running.

Start out slow and run around half a mile very easily before speeding up. This will help lossen things up.

The calves are tight because they are out of condition. They will loosen over the coming weeks as you run more. You have to give it time.
  • zenchik115
    k...lets see if I can answer all this....

Potassium- yes I eat bananas and drink coconut water

Stretching- yes I stretch afterwards and the second my muscles cool down the tightening is completely gone

Massage- the are only tight during the run...so unless the therapist is coming with me not gonna help :) ...I get massages on a regular basis though

Shoes- just did the new shoe thing

Warm Up - I am taking it slow..I am doing a slow jog for not even a 1/4 mile before the tightening occurs...and I stop and stretch during the run and it doesnt help at all...

Strengthening- I am working with a personal trainer and doing that....

sooo sounds like I am SOL....

oh well thanks for the help anyway....
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Stretching will not help and is counterproductive - leads to increased injuries. If you must stretch, do it after, not before running.

Start out slow and run around half a mile very easily before speeding up. This will help lossen things up.

The calves are tight because they are out of condition. They will loosen over the coming weeks as you run more. You have to give it time.

I agree except you can stretch before you run as long as you warm up first.

To the OP:

To answer you're question, there is almost nothing you can do.

If you have access to a sauna, that will help a lot though!

Other than that, not much else can help.
  • Well, I love to run and I do run long distance. I too struggle with tight calves. Yes as far as the above, I always warm up before my runs by walking for at least 5min. than a slow jog for about another 5min. than yes, I do stretch BEFORE I run. This will help loosen up your muscles. Never stretch cold muscles. While out on my run I also will do a quick stretch on my calves while waiting at a stop light, I drink fluids while running such as water and electrolytes (a little watered down gatorade) wich will also help. After my run again, I always stretch. Yes, having the right shoe is good and by the way breaking in new shoes will take a few runs too. If you have the potassium thing covered think about calcium, the lack there of can also cause cramping. So just be over all healthy. Now with that said. Along with all the usual things this is what really helps me too, it's called a foam roller and you can find it at a sporting goods store or a Target for about $17. It has really made a difference. You sit on the floor and roll your calf over it and you will feel it massaging out all that tightness. If you are really tight it may be a little uncomfortable at first but keep it up try it after each run and during the week plus it's free-no need to pay for a massage. Also, make sure you are strengthening all your leg muscles with light resistance training so that your muscles can support your legs. I would recommend you log onto runnersworld.com and search calf stretches and tight calves. They are loaded with tons of info. on getting started and specific help for specific areas. Good luck!
  • I too am a big fan of the foam roller... it helped me get through my half marathon last year... my physical therapist got me into it. I use it in 2 ways..to roll the area itself, and then I use one that is cut in half the long way up against the wall to stretch with.. over time your heels sink a little deeper so you get a better stretch in. When you're using it to roll out your leg it can be uncomfortable at first but after you've used it, it makes your leg feel sooo much better. Maybe you could check out a running clinic in your area.. most of the running stores around here have a physical therapy place they are teamed up with an offer free running clinics once a month. Might be good to have a professional look at your gait and your shoes and give you some individualized advice.
This discussion has been closed.