How long did it take you to loose 20lbs?

Options
Hello!
I'm a Newibie here, and I've been trying really hard to shed some pounds off. I have been on a strict diet since January, eaten all healthy food, not consumed more than 700 calories a day.. ocassionaly i'd go upto 1000 calories, but that's the highest. I work out thrice a week for about an hour and half and dance 5 days a week for 80 minutes.
I still see no result.. i have my pictures, but i still look the same. And i havn't really lost any pounds too! :(
How long did it take you to loose 20lbs? and what was your trcik?

Also, if someone could tell me what i am doing wrong, that'll be a great help!!

Thank you!

Replies

• Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough, I know it sounds silly but you need to eat at least 1200 cals a day.... When your body does not get enough espically with the exercise you are doing as well your body slows down and holds on to ever cal you put in your body.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I started my weight loss journey at the end of July 2010.

I'd never eat below my BMR, for fear of sending my body into starvation mode. I figured the longer it took for the weight to come off, the longer it would stay off!

It took me about 6 months to safely shed 20 lbs, with PROPER DIET and exercise.

Can I ask why you're eating such a low amount of calories? If you're working out so many times a week, I'd almost think you're body would be starting to restort to living of the muscle, rather than the fat.

In my honest opinion, you're starving yourself. Find out your BMR and don't eat below that
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    yeah, sounds like your body is starving. hence - holding onto everything. eat more :)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    700 cals is not enough but to answer your question I was at 18 pounds loss last Monday and that was my 7th week.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi Vamakshi! I'm new here :) I was looking around at stickies (making sure I inform myself before I start jumping in to things lol), and found a fabulous article for you ~ makes great sense to me!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Looks like you need to increase your calories, be patient with the temporary gain you may experience, and let your body relax and get out of starvation mode.....good luck and hang in there! You'll get there, it just takes some time! :)
  • freehorses92
    freehorses92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You aren't eatting enough. Minimum you need is 1200 and that's without exercise
    It took me about 2 to 3 months to lose 20 lbs
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    It depends. 700-100 cals you are just messing your metabolism up. If you eat at least 1200 cals a day it then would depend on your starting weigh/height. Someone who is 100 lbs overweight can lose 20lbs in a few weeks safely. If you weigh 130 and are shooting for 110 it will take much longer. It's all relative. For me, I did it in about 5 weeks.
  • SDunaway528
    Options
    I wasn' losing weight and I started eating 3 healthy meal and 3 snacks also did 30-45 mins of cardio 5 days a week and lost 15 pounds the 1st month. Keep doing what you are doing and add meal space them out 2-3 hours apart. You will lose sooner then you think.
  • cleckner04
    Options
    It took me 3 months to safely lose 20 lbs. I exercised daily but wasn't calorie counting in the beginning. I'm breastfeeding my daughter still as well so I have to be really careful about how fast I lose.
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    i was not eating enough calories when i started on here, and was exercising a half hour every day and eating right ALL the time. my weight didn't budge. I went from 1200 cals to 1500 and i'm steadily losing now. it's slow, but it is slowly coming off.
    it took me 4 months for 13 lbs, with diet and exercise, and not starving myself.
    so, good luck!
  • Mommy07inlove
    Options
    you are deff not eating enough!! im suprised you can even function! eat at least 1200 like everyone else has said! i know that if i dont eat at least my 1500 i wont lose.So eat please :)
  • Vamakshi
    Vamakshi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I know i don't eat enough, but that is because i never have, i have not been eating more than 1000 calories or 1200 calories since a few years.. i just can't eat all that much! and if i do i feel awful about it. so, i think my body is used to that and if i eat 1000 calories, they just are stored as fat! So, should i still eat 1200 calories a day? would that actually help? or just make it worse and make me gain more weight?
    I don't know what to do! :(

Thank you for replying though, it makes me feel better.. A LOT!.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I would say that you can eat more.. I have that mindset also, that if i eat more then X then it's only going to get stored as fat. That is not the case though. The more you eat the more your body will burn off... I haven't lost 20 pounds, but I've lost 15 and it took me about 4 months to do that.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're eating enough, but I'll save the lecture. I eat somewhere between my BMR (1500) and my maintenance (2100), and it took me 4 months to lose 20 pounds.
  • Nursebeachnut
    Options
    EAT for goodness sake! You are starving yourself!......MFP already calculates in a calorie deficit. It took me about 3 months for 17 lbs,
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am averaging 10 lbs per month - I have a lot to lose still - I am expecting that rate to go down as I get closer to goal.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Agree! Like everyone else has said you need to be eating more not less. I eat anywhere from 1200 - 1600 calories a day (depending on whether or not I exercised that day). I have been losing about 3lbs a week since I started logging everything consistently (7weeks). Also weight comes off slower the less you have to lose.