IT is all in the right words.

Options
WolffEarl
WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
Why is it when we grab a chocolate bar, an ice cream sandwich, a slice of cheese cake (or the entire one:) that we call that "Treating ourselves" while when we eat lean chicken breast, some steamed vegetables, a orange/pear fruit salad with just cinnamon on top that we call it " We are on a diet, watching what we eat?
I propose some new, more descriptive language: Henceforth, when being offered a chocolate bar, an easter egg, a peanut butter parfait, instead of saying: "NO thank you, I am on a diet" you proudly proclaim: "No thank you, I do not want to MISTREAT myself". That will get them thinking.
And when next you hurry to the fridge to get some fresh veggies you think:" ah, at last time for my treat" but if instead your frozen HAgendaas ice cream is winking at you, you look at it sternly and ask yourself: " Do I really want to MISTREAT myself again. See where it got me last time" and the time before that and before that and....
It is all in the language folks: Time to rephrase our thinking:) Life is good.

Replies

• SJT75
    SJT75 Posts: 134
    Options
    well said :) It's a week before easter and my kids already have 5 chocolate eggs each! I will remind myself not to mistreat myself everytime i go to the cupboard xxxxx
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I always say I am being naughty when I have choc etc :blushing:
  • Girlypeekaboo
    Options
    wow this actually really got me thinking, great wording! What u say is so true tho n I'm def going to start thinking like that :) thanx!
  • thedons
    thedons Posts: 41
    Options
    it really is about our thinking. there are certain foods that were a "danger" to me. it was much easier for me to not have them at all as opposed to having a "smaller" portion. i finally conditioned myself to the point that now those danger foods are no longer a threat to me. i prefer to eat something healthier. i do have the occasional sweet but it doesnt bother me to not have it. it takes work but its something that once accomplished, the rewards of it are beyond describing. i dont say to myself, "you did well so you deserve to eat that" i reward myself with what i feel is something better like new music for my ipod or pampering myself to a manicure. something that has nothing to do with food. and i rarely ever say im on a diet. i opt to say i'm eating healthier because it makes me feel good. and youre right...life is good.
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    So true. Thanks for posting this.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I like the way you think, WolffEarl!
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    While i admire the thoughts behind the op unfortunately i could never think like that. For me veggies are just something you have to eat in no way do i ever consider them a treat, i don't even like them that much and alot of people don't which is why they aren't a treat to most people.

Chocolate and cakes etc are nice to most of us. Most of us like them enough to have to stop eating them when trying to lose weight and it is only the weightloss effort that stops us eating them rather than we suddenly prefer carrots. Really what a suprising amount of us need to do is see food as fuel only and something inedible as a treat so neither chocolate nor veggies should be a treat. I am definately in that catergory and need to find treats i can't eat.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Because those things are so tasty!!!

Seriously though, I think you are on to something.