Yipee! I'm a New Convert. Suggestions?

Options
Hi All. I was so excited to find this website on a recommendation from a friend. I have 25 pounds to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and I'm a candidate for type II diabetes and cancer so I want to turn around my eating habits and commitment to exercising. What are some of the best tools that you guys recommend to get started with first? Recipes? Articles? There's so much great stuff here, I don't know quite where to start.

Also, some people keep a weight chart by their bathroom scale and record their progress. Do you guys prefer to weigh in daily or weekly?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Love and peace,:happy:

-Warrenpeace23

Replies

• julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome!
    I have been here about 3 weeks. Suggestions are hang in there if you don't lose in the first few weeks, mine are just starting to come off now but I haven't logged the new loss yet (scared it won't stay down that much for some reason since it was an overnight loss..although it was the same today fopr second day so maybe it will seem real tomorrow). Also, be sure to log everything you eat.. first couple weeks I think I was tossing in some extra bites that I wasn't logging, so hard to keep track of progress.
    I weigh everyday and just log it her under "check in". Many log once a week.. and some every two or more.
    This has been really helpful for me. I am slowly getting the hang of eating healthier and what foods are the most full of certain vitamins, carbs etc.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend to weigh EVERY day or every other day. Yes, normal fluctuations should be expected, but if you are up a huge jump or have a steady gain going, you will have more control every day. At the end of the week, if your weight is lower at the beginning, it means you are making progress and doing things well. Weighing everyday really helps make those little adjustments here and there, and also if you are eating too few calories, your body might actually gain or maintain because it means it is going into starvation mode. Weighing every day really gives you a higher feeling of more control. Studies also say that thin people typically weigh everyday.

Definitely log your calories on here, it works wonders. It really makes you not want to eat the high caloric foods, but still gives you the freedom to eat whatever you want so long as you stay within your calorie range. If you want ten cookies you can eat ten cookies, and make up for it in other areas of the day an manage to be under your caloric goal. (just last night I was able to get an appetizer, champagne, and a full entrée and eat the entire thing but still be under my daily calorie goal!)

If you add me as a friend I write some pretty helpful hints on my blog, (at least I think so!).

Congratulations on starting your way to success! Hope this helps!
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I am a new member as of last night. I have decided to re-commit myself to healthy eating and exercise habits. I have over the course of 6 months let healthy eating and exercise fall to the wayside. Not completely, but enough to gain approximately 10-15 lbs of the total 75 lbs I had lost (60 lbs about 8 years ago and the last 15 about 1.5 to 2 years ago). I need some accountability and help with a possible food addiction. I have a great best friend and workout buddy who is also a member and she has inspired me to once again commit to this. I love the site so far and know that I can have great results like I did in the past.

:wink:
  • warrenpeace23
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, Juls. Good for you !!! I'm not much of a cook but my weight watcher friends swear by learning new healthy low-cal recipes from these sites and actually learning how to eat rather than having to rely on pre-packaged foods shipped to their door to count calories.

I like your idea of weighing in daily. Even if the pounds stay the same, it's that daily ritual and reminder to be mindful of the food I stuff in my pie hole.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    Welcome to you! The best thing I've found about this site is reading what others recommend for food choices - I've gotten lots of new, healthy ideas that I wouldn't have thought of myself. As for the weighing in thing, I only weigh once a week, otherwise I'm obsessed with a pound or two & lose my motivation.:happy:
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have been on here since January and it is great. I've lost about 25 pounds and want to lose about 5 more. I am healthier than I have been in a long time. I would suggest trying to weigh only once a week or you can kind of get obsessed with it. Sometimes you won't lose but inches are just as important. The closer you are to your goal the harder it is to lose. In addition to the pounds I've also lost 2 inches in my waist and hips. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can support each other!
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You can weigh as often as you like but I recommend only recording once a week. Normal day to day fluctuations are going to happen but over all each week you should be seeing a steady decline if you stick to your calories and are working out. Good Luck and have fun with what you are doing! :flowerforyou:
  • warrenpeace23
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, Husker.

I just printed a bunch of fatty type photos and taped them all over the foods in my kitchen that my hubby buys - and I should not be eating. Let's see if it works. At least it's funny.