Hands swell when walking?

Options
Anyone else ever have this happen? It scared me the first time it happened and I still don't think it's a good sign but my doctor wasn't that concerned about it. It doesn't happen with any other exercise, weird.

Replies

• d2eko
    d2eko Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Dont panic. Its to to with the fluid in your hands. When you are walking make sure you are swinging your arms. It happens to me and my friend sometimes. X
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This happens to one of my friends too...a little to me, but nothing that really shocked me!
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me all the time. I have learned to keep my elbows slightly bent through the whole walk, and it doesn't happen.
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    It has happened to me a few times too. I make sure I swing my arms more, getting them well above my hips. Seems to help. Good luck!!!!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have that (but not consistently) when I do various types of exercise- not sure if it's the humidity, how much water is already in the body, etc. So, sounds like you're normal, especially if your doctor's not worried!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Mine not only will swell a little, but they get really warm. I notice it most when hiking when I am not necessarily swinging my arms due to climbing up hills and over tree roots and rocks. After the hike, it goes away. It's nothing to worry about.
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    I experience that myself when I walk. I make a loose fist while I am walking and it really reduces alot of swelling.
  • p_cakes
    p_cakes Posts: 282
    Options
    This also happens to me when hiking. I thought maybe there was too much blood rushing through my arms, I held my hands over my head and that seemed to work for a bit, but I don't think it's a big deal, especially if your doctor is not concerned.
  • Destined4Change
    Destined4Change Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes it happens to me all the time. It even happens while working out at the gym on cardio machines. It is pretty normal for most people.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    This is normal if you are keeping your hands down and not swinging your arms. If this is something that happens, all you need to do is bend your elbows and swing those arms!! Not only will it prevent the swelling but also get your heart rate going as well!! It does seem to happen more when it's warmer, but it can happen year round. If your doc isn't worried, then you're fine! If you don't want to swing your arms while walking, at least stretch your fingers and wrists every so often while walking. Good luck :)
  • lilybean17
    lilybean17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time on an extended walk. Even if I'm just walking around the mall for a while! I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • VenturaGurl
    VenturaGurl Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I also experience hand swelling when walking. If I keep my elbows bent and swing my arms more aggressively, like power walking, it tend to be less. They always swell to some extent, though.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    The pendulum effect can produce mild to quite painful swelling. Bending the elbow until your forearm is perpendicular to your upper arm will prevent it from happening, but if you're like me, you'll forget and drop your arms eventually. Next thing I know my hands are swelling. I try to remember not to wear my rings but if I am it gets very painful. The most effective solution I've found (although it looks rather silly, it's worth it in my experience) is to raise my straight arms above my head and swing them there for a while opposite my foot swings.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too sometimes!! Especially when it is super hot outside. OMGosh, like when we were in Disney the last time. YUK.

Good for you gettin' out there walkin'!!!!

See ya tomorrow!!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Mine use to do this all the time, and my feet too, and they would burn and itch, get red and warm. After losing weight and eating healthy it rarely happens now, so I figured it had a lot to do with sodium.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I usually pick up a smallish stick, that i hold across my shoulders with both hands (in the hands up position).

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1783/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1783-8914.jpg

like here. first of all it prevents swelling of the hands, because you hold them up, but also it improves your posture while walking, stretching your back and is incredibly relaxing when you're walking long distance.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Yep happens to me too! More when I am hiking than when I am walking! I put my hands behind my head for a few minutes and that helps, opening and closing my hands seems to help too. And like others have said, keep your elbows bent a little bit. But it's nothing to worry about! http://health.msn.com/health-topics/heart-and-cardiovascular/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100205913
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I usually pick up a smallish stick, that i hold across my shoulders with both hands (in the hands up position).

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1783/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1783-8914.jpg

like here. first of all it prevents swelling of the hands, because you hold them up, but also it improves your posture while walking, stretching your back and is incredibly relaxing when you're walking long distance.

Nice solution, I'm going to try that.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    See, I never thought about the swinging arms thing. It happens to me all the time and my doc said it's probably just because I'm dehydrated.
  • jlbryant2
    jlbryant2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time, even worse in the hot weather but is easily remedied by keeping arms bent and swinging. I have spoken to my doc tor several times, who states that is is normal and no need to worry.