Help me with my breakfast?

yoghurtand
yoghurtand Posts: 119
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello! I'm trying to work out a way to get more calories (maybe 100 more) in my breakfast without eating many more carbs, as I already have a lot of those. I was just going to have a slice of toast, but again... The only thing I can think of is an egg, which doesn't really suit what I ate :P

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Maybe some almonds... or any nuts for that matter. Greek yogurt?
  • lhardy26
    lhardy26 Posts: 1
    Hi yoghurtand!

What are you already eating for breakfast so we know what it needs to fit in with?

I like to keep a few lean protein options ready cooked in the fridge (like marinated roasted chicken or turkey breast, or extra lean gammon to slice) or in the cupboard (sardines in tomato sauce are delicious on wholegrain toast), and have 50-100g of one of those with fruit, and maybe half a cup of oats soaked in skim milk. This usually comes out around 350 cals, and makes a nice change from omelette!

Well done on your great progess! xx
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    I added 1 T. of 'Almond Accents' sliced honey roasted almonds to my corn flakes. (Oh, and I also added 1 T. mini chocolate chips and 2 T. flaked coconut, too!)

A hearty way to add substance, with not many calories. But the almonds make me stay fuller, longer.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    how about a couple slices of either bacon or grilled ham?
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    I have this every single morning on the go, the only thing I change up is the protein (except the egg):

(All from Sainsbury)
    One wholemeal tortilla wrap or a plain wrap - 168kcal
    One medium egg - 76kcal
    1/2 tsp of olive oil - 20kcal
    2 slice of honey roasted ham - 40
    20 grams of baby spinach - 13kcal

Total kcal: 337kcal

This keeps me nice and full in the morning, then I have an apple at about 11am then lunch! I make this wrap in about 3 minutes, wrap it up and I eat it on the way.

Method:

Medium size frying pan. Put on low heat, warm up the tortilla in the pan slowly. Once it's soft and warm, take it out and leave it to the side. Turn the heat to high, olive oil in, heat it up for about 30 second, crack the egg in the pan, put the tortilla on top of the egg then flatten it with a spatula. Turn the heat down to low - medium, flip the egg/tortilla pancake, put in your spinach and ham, heat it up for another 10 - 20 second, move it to a plate then roll it up!

I seriously eat this everyday...and I can't get sick of it. I'll change it by using turkey slice instead of ham, or smoked salmon...you know, change the protein. I might add some chili pepper if I wanted a kick...so, let your imagination run wild with spices!

Good luck!
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    A tablespoon or so of flaxseed mixed into your yogurt perhaps? (And a dash of cinnamon for taste if you dig it!)
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    peanut butter!
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Wowza, I love aaall the suggestions! I usually eat yoghurt and cereal for breakfast, so rather carb-heavy as you can see. I think I'll mix it up now though (after seeing all your reccomendations :D) Thank youuu~
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Oatmeal, with ground flax seed, cinnamon and added fibre1cereal, and slivered almonds.

Poached egg
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    I put LSA (linseed, sunflower, almond meal) on my breakfast, it tastes awesome, and lotsa good things in it, coconut is another yummy thing to put onto cereal, porridge etc
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    I am not sure how many calories you are looking to eat for breakfast... but here are my favorite breakfasts this week. (my faves change often :)

Double vanilla breakfast parfait
    1 Cup Dannon all natural vanilla yogurt 200 cal
    1/2 cup fresh pineapple ~40 cal (or you can use strawberries or blueberries)
    1/4 cup cascadian farms vanilla almond crunch 67 cal
    Total 307 Calories, Easy enough to make them higher by adding more cereal or more fruit or both

I also like cereal with nuts...
    I will often add 1-2 tablespoons of almonds or cashews right into my cereal bowl, it tastes grate!

Example
    1 cup cheerios- 100
    3/4 cup milk (I use 1/2%) 75
    1/2 oz panter's cashews- 85
    2 clementines- 70
    Total 330 Calores, again if you want to up the number add a little more of something

I always have 1-2 cups of coffee with cream, so that adds about 50 calories too
  • A little avacodo is a healthy fat with more calories - just don't eat the whole thing.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Ooh, Lindsey, you just reminded me of another favorite breakfast!

Southwest Breakfast sandwhich!

1 Arnold Sandwhich thin 100
    1 egg fried with cooking spray- 70
    2 tbsp guac - 60
    1 slice tomato- 10
    1 slice pepperjack- 80

320 Calories... sometimes if I'm pretty hungry I have an apple or piece of fruit too.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Smoked salmon on rye bread? An egg beaten with a 1/2 teaspoon of flaxseed oil on toast? Not sure if you're in the UK, but Rachel's organic coconut greek yoghurt with some sliced strawberries is like heaven but I only have it as a treat 'cause it's full of sugar. But SO GOOD.
  • Shamrock40
    Shamrock40 Posts: 264
    During the week I have an egg almost every day, sometimes I just fry the egg, sometimes I mix 1 whole egg with some egg-whites and make a soft scrambled omelet with some salsa on top. 3-4 days a week, I add a slice or two of bacon. Three slices of CENTER CUT bacon is 60-70 calories, depending on what brand you buy. With the egg(s) I have 1-2 pieces of toast depending on my mood. Once in a while I eat a piece or two of toast with peanut butter. Peanut butter is a good protein source and higher in calories.
  • that southwest breakfast sandwich sounds very yummy!
This discussion has been closed.